Not a criticism, but something that confuses me re: Marrone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not a criticism, but something that confuses me re: Marrone

I always thought main reason MOST young running backs don't play was blocking.

Coaches (college and pro alike) don't like to play young RBs until they are certain the backs can block for the QB when need be.

Whether it be learning the schemes or simply bulking up to take on 250lb linebackers, I've heard coaches say it's not worth the risk of putting young guys in if they can't block - unless you want a flattened QB.

100% agree. Running backs have to learn both the offensive play calling and the OL block calling on passing plays. Most starting freshmen running backs are used as outlets on passing plays, behind superior pass blocking lines.

Don't be surprised if the staff goes with Morris playing vs. Pitt.
A full RS year is ideal, but wins need to be acquired at this stage.

If he doesn't play vs. Pitt then he should sit for the year.
Last year's AAM treatment was far from ideal.
Wheatley already pretty much confirmed he will be redshirted.

I always thought main reason MOST young running backs don't play was blocking.

Coaches (college and pro alike) don't like to play young RBs until they are certain the backs can block for the QB when need be.

Whether it be learning the schemes or simply bulking up to take on 250lb linebackers, I've heard coaches say it's not worth the risk of putting young guys in if they can't block - unless you want a flattened QB.
ability to block is more of an NFL thing.

in college, RBs play if they meet 2 criteria:

1. can get yards
2. wont fumble

if they fail at 1 of those things, they dont play.

clearly, our yungins fail at 1 of those things.

probably both.

Oh Lord

I didn't realize we had an issue at running back? We have had a bit of an issue run blocking, do people really believe that Morris would come in and be a difference maker? As is we would be 3-1 is Marrone was playing.. I could see Broyld getting a few more carries but I am not sold on Broyld at this hybrid position, he needs to find a true position. This offense is Nassib, Sales, Lemon... and the running backs are complementary... I would like to see Broyld have more of an impact but he tends to dance a lot out there.

I think Smith and Gulley have been fine
ottointhegrobto is grasping at straws to explain why they're 1-3 even though they are going no huddle and throwing a million times like he wanted.

last year it was a fishing expedition to find which number play in the 2nd drive of the first quarter where they always happened to run it and blame that as the play that set the tone.

ottointhegrobto is grasping at straws to explain why they're 1-3 even though they are going no huddle and throwing a million times like he wanted.

last year it was a fishing expedition to find which number play in the 2nd drive of the first quarter where they always happened to run it and blame that as the play that set the tone.
You're giving me way too much credit.

I just don't think Smith and Gulley are that good, ie ideally those guys aren't your 1a and 1b backs. I suspect our best talent at rb is the youngest talent. So let's see it. I don't include Broyld in that because he's not really a running back, and usually I'm all for redshirting but running back is a place I think that isn't so important.

The reason why we have a better offensive system and we're still not winning is because we have a coach that still hasn't learned how to coach to win.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You're giving me way too much credit.

I just don't think Smith and Gulley are that good, ie ideally those guys aren't your 1a and 1b backs. I suspect our best talent at rb is the youngest talent. So let's see it. I don't include Broyld in that because he's not really a running back, and usually I'm all for redshirting but running back is a place I think that isn't so important.

The reason why we have a better offensive system and we're still not winning is because we have a coach that still hasn't learned how to coach to win.

Or that we have players that don't know how to win. It's a team game and the team includes both coaches and players.

Or that we have players that don't know how to win. It's a team game and the team includes both coaches and players.
If the team loses, players don't lose their scholarships.

If the team loses, coaches lose their jobs.

If the team loses, players don't lose their scholarships.

If the team loses, coaches lose their jobs.

Are you 100% sure about that? Scholarships are year to year. Some players could lose theirs if Marrone goes, depending on who takes over.

Are you 100% sure about that? Scholarships are year to year. Some players could lose theirs if Marrone goes, depending on who takes over.
Yes, I am 100% sure about that. Losing your scholarship because we have a new coach is a completely different circumstance. The variable is the coach, not the win-loss record.

We could argue that more, but it would be stupid. It seems to me if you're going to hold someone responsible, hold the adult that you're paying responsible.