Not a talent issue, I've been told... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not a talent issue, I've been told...

I don’t think Kadary is far away. We need a third guard, I don’t think Joe is even close to being that third guard. Outside of shooting he adds zero, he literally needs to go off in a game from 3 to make a positive impact.

I have no idea what the fix is or that it's even going to arrive any time soon. Benny is the last hope - so he better be phenomenal along with whatever grad transfer we can throw in.

Honestly, I get that Buddy can shoot it, but he's like a Louisville kid that plays 5-18 minutes against everyone, except Syracuse and Notre Dame, etc...because he's a zone buster and can only log serious PT against super bad defensive teams, or the zone. Buddy's a stretch PF in the body of a SG, playing SG for 35+ in the ACC. Not good.

Girard is pedestrian, but I don't see either one outclassing the other at SG by any insane margin. They can split minutes based on who has the better game. Buddy more often than not I'd imagine because he's better on O and D.

I'd still give AG a go at SG just for the defense at times - how much can you really lose on offense? He seems to enjoy running, jumping, and hustling - so let him get in passing lanes and contest threes.

I don't know, I loathe our guards and the 5 spot, and kinda the SF, because the SF is a guard with a very loose handle, and we have Woody and Bras that could occupy that space.

The other two guards don't tear it up off the bounce anyway. Just instruct AG that he should only straight line dribble or some ****.

This team is an Island of misfit toys. Blah!!! :)

LGO!!

Last edited:
Right. He goes by people at WILL. And he’s a great defender and can pass.
Tonight was horrible, but if you're going to rewatch losses (I personally never have but some shockingly do), watch Kadary dribbling. The scouting report is to lay off of him. And he still gets by his defender. He is crossing over people, between the legs...two dribbles in a row, off a hesitation... in the paint. He can get to his left or his right. He spun tonight, then head-faked for an up and under for a finger roll inside with the bigs that the idiot ref did not call a foul on.

He needs to get a bit better at finishing when he gets there and he will once he cuts a little bit of the gymnastics down, and also continues developing that floater.

He already has the potential to be an ALL ACC defender. We've seen it. Not sure what else people need to see on defense. Matisse Thybulle at Washington was one of the best defenders in the entire country (3.5s, 2.3b his senior year, ridiculous), playing for Hop and the zone. He's in the league right now because of it. He was always so so on offense.

Kadary has the ability to impact games in that way. His inability to shoot, imo, is overblown with a very small sample size. Even if he never becomes great at it, whatever.

We have a wisp of a tweener 4/3 playing the 5.

We have a tweener 3/4 playing the 4 who can barely dunk.

We have a lightweight tweener 2/3 playing the 3 who suffers from hero ball.

We have a slow tweener 2/3 playing the 2.

We have an undersized 2 playing the 1.

Tonight was horrible, but if you're going to rewatch losses (I personally never have but some shockingly do), watch Kadary dribbling. The scouting report is to lay off of him. And he still gets by his defender. He is crossing over people, between the legs...two dribbles in a row, off a hesitation... in the paint. He can get to his left or his right. He spun tonight, then head-faked for an up and under for a finger roll inside with the bigs that the idiot ref did not call a foul on.

He needs to get a bit better at finishing when he gets there and he will once he cuts a little bit of the gymnastics down, and also continues developing that floater.

He already has the potential to be an ALL ACC defender. We've seen it. Not sure what else people need to see on defense. Matisse Thybulle at Washington was one of the best defenders in the entire country (3.5s, 2.3b his senior year, ridiculous), playing for Hop and the zone. He's in the league right now because of it. He was always so so on offense.

Kadary has the ability to impact games in that way. His inability to shoot, imo, is overblown with a very small sample size. Even if he never becomes great at it, whatever.

The 2018/19 team really needed a guard like Kadary. Frank couldn't get by guards that year

We enjoyed a 4 minute season and then 2020 happened.

Not having a center means we are weaker at center and at a forward position for moving that person to center. So you’re really down two players. I think that’s part of it.

Griffin doesn’t look like a teammate, more like a mercenary. Gerard is too small for top of the zone. Just those alone is enough to sink a team. I feel like JB is trying to patch together a team out of a bunch of otherwise good players but either not good fits or out of position or not attitudinally ready to be part of a team.

Not having a center means we are weaker at center and at a forward position for moving that person to center. So you’re really down two players. I think that’s part of it.

Griffin doesn’t look like a teammate, more like a mercenary. Gerard is too small for top of the zone. Just those alone is enough to sink a team. I feel like JB is trying to patch together a team out of a bunch of otherwise good players but either not good fits or out of position or not attitudinally ready to be part of a team.
Agree with you here, this doesn't feel like a well constructed team at all, just some random pieces that don't fit together, most of them in the right role are good serviceable players and I think they could fit that category here but this not a team that was put together to play off each others strengths and that's glaringly obvious right now.

Agree with you here, this doesn't feel like a well constructed team at all, just some random pieces that don't fit together, most of them in the right role are good serviceable players and I think they could fit that category here but this not a team that was put together to play off each others strengths and that's glaringly obvious right now.
They are random pieces, many recruiting afterthoughts added late in the cycle to fill out the roster. When you don’t do a good job building a roster with priority recruits, you’re left with kids that don’t fit your system well, are undersized, lack skills/polish and so on. Our recent teams feel random and cobbled together because they are just that.

Griffin is terrible.

Girard is worse.

Guerrier is extremely limited and has been exposed.

Dolezaj is a decent player but as a senior, should be much better. And has played out of position for three years.

Richmond gives me hope for one player being ACC caliber. Boeheim is an ACC-level shooter and not much else.

We have no center that plays.

It really is incredible.
Jb must be a fabulous coach to be able to win any games at all in this league with that terrible talent.

Jb must be a fabulous coach to be able to win any games at all in this league with that terrible talent.
If we are this discussion year after year. It time the AD has to do something we can’t go through another 2 years like this..

Girard should have the role that Ryan Mcmahon had at louisville, he would need to get in a lot better shape and become a decent defender for that to happen though.
He’s not a starting level P5 point guard, he can’t get by his man so they can play him as far out as they want to defend his jumper. him being on the floor instead of kadary does way more negative to our offense than positive. how this kid is still starting is beyond me.

would be nice to have a center but really want a true pf. woody at 220 pounds and ajax a bit over 225 are the candidates to both make that happen.

Last edited:
We have a wisp of a tweener 4/3 playing the 5.

We have a tweener 3/4 playing the 4 who can barely dunk.

We have a lightweight tweener 2/3 playing the 3 who suffers from hero ball.

We have a slow tweener 2/3 playing the 2.

We have an undersized 2 playing the 1.
Perfectly sums up situation.

The negativity on this board really is excruciating. Duke is a really good team that has just taken a while to gel, partially because they’re young and partially because they took two or three weeks off during the non-conference. They’re top 30 team in KenPom (and rising) and a top 15 offensive team. Their big guy is a monster and they have shooters all over the floor. They’re going to make the tourney and probably go far. They just knocked off UVA. We played terrible defense for the first 15 minutes of the game and got ourselves into a hole we couldn’t get out of. We knew this Cuse team was limited this season, especially after Sidibe’s injury. We don’t have the length and athleticism that we usually have at center and forward and even at guard, and that’s killed us on defense. Big time. But also not getting to play those two Louisville games has hurt our resume. Winning last week on the road would have been a Q1 victory. And Louisville is eminently beatable.

The negativity on this board really is excruciating. Duke is a really good team that has just taken a while to gel, partially because they’re young and partially because they took two or three weeks off during the non-conference. They’re top 30 team in KenPom (and rising) and a top 15 offensive team. Their big guy is a monster and they have shooters all over the floor. They’re going to make the tourney and probably go far. They just knocked off UVA. We played terrible defense for the first 15 minutes of the game and got ourselves into a hole we couldn’t get out of. We knew this Cuse team was limited this season, especially after Sidibe’s injury. We don’t have the length and athleticism that we usually have at center and forward and even at guard, and that’s killed us on defense. Big time. But also not getting to play those two Louisville games has hurt our resume. Winning last week on the road would have been a Q1 victory. And Louisville is eminently beatable.

They nearly lost to BC and lost to Miami. The board is overrating them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom