Not. Fumble no Frickin Way | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not. Fumble no Frickin Way

I assume you're looking at this:
  1. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)
  2. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or ball after forward movement begins and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player (A.R. 2-19-2-I).

However, Shrader is is NOT passing forward toward the neutral zone. It is quite clear on the video.

are you saying that if the backwards pass was caused by contact with the qb then its not a backwards pass? I didnt know that. If thats the rule, then you would be correct, it seems.

Only controversy on the play was no one blocking the DT and calling a fade (which never works). Otherwise, it was the properly call by the officials.

1- only call I didn’t really agree with was the deep pass to flowers from more head. Looked like he never had complete possession. IMO that ball was moving the whole time and came out before he ever had 100% control.
didnt look like a fade from my eyes it looked like a corner route or speed out

are you saying that if the backwards pass was caused by contact with the qb then its not a backwards pass?
That is true if the qb has made a forward (as in toward the line of scrimmage) passing motion when the ball comes out.

Not the case here, unfortunately for us.

I assume you're looking at this:
  1. A pass is forward if the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official or anything else beyond the spot where the ball is released. All other passes are backward passes. When in question a pass thrown in or behind the neutral zone is forward rather than a backward pass.(Exception: Games using Instant Replay)
  2. When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass. If a Team B player contacts the passer or ball after forward movement begins and the ball leaves the passer’s hand, a forward pass is ruled regardless of where the ball strikes the ground or a player (A.R. 2-19-2-I).

However, Shrader is is NOT passing forward toward the neutral zone. It is quite clear on the video.

nope im going what the head of officials told me. but yeah thats really the basis of the rule.

That is true if the qb has made a forward (as in toward the line of scrimmage) passing motion when the ball comes out.

kind of hard to throw a pass to a guy 10 yds ahead of you and not rule it a forward pass.. but they ruled it a fumble not a pass anyway.

How about a ball knocked out of the QBs hand as his arm is going forward. Ball hits ground and goes backward. Defense recovers. Play ruled incomplete pass as a result of the QBs arm going forward. However, if the ball hits the ground behind the QB isn’t that technically a backward pass then and should actually be ruled ruled fumble? I’ve wondered about that.

got it, so is the issue that you couldnt tell if shrader intended to throw forward at the time he lost the ball?

Shrader's arm was moving forward, intended receiver was an endzone fade. Arm got hit going forward, changing the trajectory of the throw, cause the ball to go backwards. By definition, that's an incomplete pass.

Looked like we were trying to throw a fade, which unless you have Plaxico Burress or Randy Moss, is the most worthless, low percentage play that exists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom