Not much love... | Syracusefan.com

Not much love...

...from ESPN in post-spring power ratings.

ACC post spring power rankings: Florida State looks strong

Wichita_State_Shockers_logo.svg.png

Why should they give Cuse any love? The defense returns most of the pieces that couldn't stop a breeze with a closed window and an offense that lost its biggest threat. Spring doesn't answer any questions.
Agree. We need huge improvement on that side of the ball to be at least competitive with the big boys!

Hmmn. Looks like Dino won't have to deal with overly high expectations.

I thought the d looked pretty good in the spring game I'm optimistic

You can certainly make the case that if you didn't like the DBs we finished with last season, we may be starting four or five entirely different ones by the time ACC play opens.

all 8 of our losses were by at least 2 TDs (a lot more in many cases), our schedule is hell on earth and our star QB hasn't been able to stay on the field. So, I get it, but I DON'T accept it, dammit! we are going bowling!

I thought at least somebody might argue that we could be rated higher than BC or Wake. Especially since we have both at home.

until we see evidence the Orange are ready to stop a few teams on that side of the ball, it’s hard to be overly enthusiastic about the progress of the offense

Makes sense to me.
Personally, after the last few years, I am ECSTATIC about the progress of the offense. Do we need to get better on D? Sure. Are the two mutually exclusive? No, IMO.

I thought at least somebody might argue that we could be rated higher than BC or Wake. Especially since we have both at home.

we should be rated higher than both, especially BC. the only thing they did better than us last year was how they scheduled their OOC. we were, and still are, better than they are, and I think we will be better than Wake too. And like you said, we get both at home.

13th eh? I truly am a glutton for punishment. Yet each fall I'm thinking we make the Orange Bowl. It's been 20 years since that last happened. Sigh.

Syracuse and Duke are being undervalued on this list that's for sure. Also, does David Hale not know who coaches NC State??? Doeren is going to Doeren and lose games for State they shouldn't this year...

Faith without evidence is something you sell to the fans. Not the pundits.

If you're writing about the ACC Atlantic, you have a first 2 (top 10 teams), a next 2 (includes the Heisman winner). Then you put SU, BC, Wake in a hat and pick names.

The good news is that they all like Dino and think he'll keep us moving in the right direction.

Faith without evidence is something you sell to the fans. Not the pundits.

If you're writing about the ACC Atlantic, you have a first 2 (top 10 teams), a next 2 (includes the Heisman winner). Then you put SU, BC, Wake in a hat and pick names.

The good news is that they all like Dino and think he'll keep us moving in the right direction.
Would be nice to advance into group #2 this season.

These type of assessments are based on past performance. Until SU starts winning, the assessments will stay poor.

Yes -- easy for a pundit to stick with past performance.

As a fan, can see that we have 4th year players as leaders on the D, in Slayton, 3 starting LBs, Cordy back at S, and add grad transfers at the corners. It is not the "too young" defense that struggled through 2016. But that is belief w/o the results.

Yes -- easy for a pundit to stick with past performance.

As a fan, can see that we have 4th year players as leaders on the D, in Slayton, 3 starting LBs, Cordy back at S, and add grad transfers at the corners. It is not the "too young" defense that struggled through 2016. But that is belief w/o the results.
And every other team believes they've added the pieces that will make the difference as well.

Thoughts:

1. We are better than BC. Then and now.
2. There is a ton of QB turnover this season with teams that have more talent than us. When you have the best QB on the field, you have a chance.
3. I thought the line about the D showing them something is spot on and very fair. But the rest of the blurbs seem to give the benefit of the doubt about similar weaknesses for teams above us.
4. We are young at DE (and maybe at DT), but don't look now - we have a pretty experienced D otherwise. Our transfers add to that.