Not much love... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not much love...

Still not sold on our linebackers, they made a lot of tackles, but for the last 2 years the avg gain on running downs has been 5+ yards per carry, that isn't a good stat. That's not all on the line, they have been slow to get to runners, and have given up yards after contact.

And every other team believes they've added the pieces that will make the difference as well.

Yes -- I am sure they do.

Did the other teams make as many additions to their D (we added 5 jucos & 2 grad transfers), & do they have their core group back on D? Last season, we had to force true frosh into key roles in the DL. Not this season. It is a remarkable difference (only on paper, of course), assuming we get the expected contributions in the 2 deep from those 7 transfers.

I thought the d looked pretty good in the spring game I'm optimistic

True, but that spring game did nothing for our fall rating. Most know, the play books are vanilla in spring showcases and that the D jumps alot of plays after playing these guys in practice. If we actually opened it up and lit up tbe D as an offense, we would be viewed better.

Would be nice to advance into group #2 this season.

We will move into that group. But I think it will be 2018 or 2019, not 2017.

And that's ok.

The analysis is right. The ranking is wrong. I thought we should have been ahead of Wake and BC. They were bowl teams, I think thats factored in. We beat both twice in 3 years but thats okay. I thought the combination of having 8 starters back on both sides would factor in. I would rank us 10 or 11.

1. Don't worry about pre season rankings
2. Especially when you play teams that are "ranked " ahead of you , worry during the season when a team that you are better than is ranked higher and you don't play them to do something about it .
3. Pre season rankings are based on returning talent and schedule , its educated guessing
4. Rosters will be shaken up by start of season , injuries etc
5.end of season rankings only thing that matters