Not sure what the takeaways are from this game... | Syracusefan.com

Not sure what the takeaways are from this game...

Completely on board with your title. Not sure what the team gets out of that one.

Maybe as the number of players in the rotation shrinks (Carey, Braswell, etc.) we'll get more consistency. Not sure.

Completely on board with your title. Not sure what the team gets out of that one.

Maybe as the number of players in the rotation shrinks (Carey, Braswell, etc.) we'll get more consistency. Not sure.
Carey is hurt. Not that he would have gotten in.

Probably just that we are gonna be streaky. We missed a lot of excellent looks from 3. Guerrier has potential to be a nice counterpoint to all the action we run to get open looks on the perimeter

first half was brutal, but check out the 2nd half offensive stats
46 points in 28 possessions.
24 points in the paint
75% on 2 point shots
46% on 3s
only 2 turnovers

also, 18-8 on the boards, vs 17-16 in the first half

I think that for once we are better suited when we play teams non named UVA this year. We shouldnt have to deal with a lot of slow it down opponents this year and that should play to our advantage a lot. When given a chance to break out we have looked really good. In the half court we really need to have Quincy out there. Light bulb went on tonight

in the 2nd half, our three interior guys (boo, q, marek) combined for
6/6 from the field
16 points
10 boards
2 assists
1 turnover (and that was the questionable offensive foul call on marek)

Last edited:
24 points in the paint
75% on 2 point shots
46% on 3s
only 2 turnovers

Get outta here with that positive stuff.

South Carolina Upstate was leading Louisville in the second half.
Elon led UNC at halftime.
Everybody is working out the kinks early in the season.

All the same, the last 11 minutes of the first half were brutal.

My takeaway was that late game free throw shooting is terrible, and the spread coincidentally is missed by only 1 point. I imagine eventually this wont be a problem after the cupcakes, because we wont be favorites as often as in the past. The late game FT ineptitude could have worse ramifications in those games, though.

24 points in the paint
75% on 2 point shots
46% on 3s
only 2 turnovers

Thank you!

The first half was so lackluster. There was a couple sitting next to me who said that this was their very first game. It was on their “bucket list.” ?? (They were in their forties!) I felt sorry that this was perhaps the only game they would see.

There were so many dumb calls in the second half that it was hard to appreciate that we actually got the game in hand. But suddenly, it was tacos! Woooo!

...other than the fact that Michael Stephens remains one of the worst referees in college basketball.

my takeaway is for us to be really good, Quincy needs to play. He is the one true inside player we have. He appears very coach able and offers the ability to drive, hit the boards and hit the occasional three. He’ll have some learning moments but if he offers that inside threat he opens up a lot for the offense.

Cuse!

Guerrier will need more minutes and to be aggressive for this team to be a good ACC team. Too much perimeter play when SU has the better athletes. Cornell completely took the air out of the ball using all of the shot clock almost every possession. That was not a vey fun watch tonight.

i looked it as JB wanted to make them work through the game issues. he could have pressed and changed the dynamic of the game but he played it straight and let cornell have to run their offense all game to score.

good news is unlike UV we got tons of good looks, need to make a few more of them

the D has a ways to go and once we put the other 3 FR in things sometimes onravel.

Another takeaway is that the SU Athletics graphics department still needs some editing help

SU.png

bourama sidibe currently leads the nation with a .923 field goal percentage.
he has made 11 straight attempts over 3 games

he was 3/3 tonight. marek was 3/4. and yet the two of them both had season low usage rates in this game, 6% for bourama and 12% for marek.
they both had season highs against seattle.
they don't need to be 20% usage rate guys to be effective, but they should be around 15, a little higher for marek. the guards have to do a better job of finding them (and they have to do a better job of making themselves available. several times tonight they were right on top of each other in offensive sets, one effectively screening the other off from an entry pass)

Our best lineup is going to be Marek at center and Quincy at the 4. But ACC teams with good bigs will have their way inside. This is just a limited team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom