Not sure what the takeaways are from this game... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not sure what the takeaways are from this game...

I hate to say it, but I never ever thought I’d be even in a little bit of agreement w/ tbone- but I’m so fricken’ fed up w/ the “7- men and a cloud of dust” bench rotation that we play. It absolutely sucks that I can recently watch Gtown and UConn run 8-9 guys out, and we’re still having these debates about who our 7th man will be to round out the rotation.
It’s the one thing I’ll always disagree w/ JB about.
I watch Howard Washington play PG and I think, “he could be a serviceable relief PG”, or even the rook Goodine, and I realize they’re likely to see minimal mins this year, & be buried on that bench watchIng our 7-man Ironman rotation wear out by March. It’s rinse and repeat x 100.
Sick & tired of it. We have limited talent to run out there in this ACC, & our 5 vs most teams, will not fare well. That’s just facts. We fricken NEED depth! Period.
Jimmy dont depth.

I watch Howard Washington play PG and I think, “he could be a serviceable relief PG”, ..

I've been watching college basketball a long time.

This kid is a better than average point guard and an adequate defender. The half-court offense works when he's in the game. (And that's no sure thing with our starter in the game in the last few years.)

There are precious few reasons why he's not a ten-minute a game player. I can only think of one.

This kid is a better than average point guard and an adequate defender. The half-court offense works when he's in the game. (And that's no sure thing with our starter in the game in the last few years.)

There are precious few reasons why he's not a ten-minute a game player. I can only think of one.
I feel your frustration, but I’m not sure what your insinuation might be. JG111 is a VERY good player and will only get better, IMO, so no quarrel w/ him starting.
My issue is why no set minutes for other, talented guys on the team, guys who could also contribute and help us win. The ridiculous mins for Ty Battle and Frank Howard last 2 years are about to be repeated, again, w/ Buddy & Eli this year. We wear out in March for a reason. Build some fricken depth by playing guys, not sitting them down unless there’s an injury, foul trouble, or suspension. It ridiculous in this day and age, and it usually ends the same way.

Last edited:
It was in agreement with your point: based on program history, a tight 7 will lower the ceiling on the season. Teams need a backup point guard with regular game experience.
Got it. My PC meter was a little off there- can’t be too sure these days. Lol

Could be he's still not in game shape, or there may be some underlying long term effects of the stroke we aren't aware of, but I tend to agree with you. Push JG3 over to the 2 and let him take the shots and play off the ball.

Could be he's still not in game shape, or there may be some underlying long term effects of the stroke we aren't aware of, but I tend to agree with you. Push JG3 over to the 2 and let him take the shots and play off the ball.
He may yet become a 5 or 6 minute a game guy for this team, especially since there may be times JB doesn't trust Goodine this year or Girard is overmatched. Ideally, I'd like to see Boeheim and Girard for around 30, Goodine for 15 and Washington for 5.

a few points on this general discussion, not just to ottomets

• for all intents and purposes, the actual backup point guard is elijah hughes. he also happens to be the best one.
  • the rotation as it stands is fine. going back to 2013 there have always been at least 2 and often 3 guys who have played 80% or more of available minutes. so far there is only 1 - eli.
  • eli is playing 90% of available minutes, which is only 40th in the nation. it's not even top 5 of syracuse players in recent years.
  • you do far more to develop your backup players into rotation pieces in the 20 hours a week of allowable practices, not in a couple of 7 or 8 or even 10 minute appearances in game time each week.
  • i am a big supporter of howard washington, but he is not good enough to eat that many minutes from the eli/buddy/jgiii trio. he's competing with brycen, and if you really are into development for the future (both future years and later this season), you shouldn't want him eating his minutes, either, because brycen has a much higher ceiling

• i am a big supporter of howard washington, but he is not good enough to eat that many minutes from the eli/buddy/jgiii trio. he's competing with brycen, and if you really are into development for the future (both future years and later this season), you shouldn't want him eating his minutes, either, because brycen has a much higher ceiling

This is defensible, though I don't entirely agree (because I think Goodine's got value as an instant-offense/decent defense piece off the bench this season, but I believe reps at point will make it harder to find his comfort level as a freshman). Logic is sound, though, but it does kind of fly in the face of Boeheim's "win now" preference.

for all intensive purposes. (; ) 15 teams in the acc. if we got 3 in the top ten again. that's poor rotation.

a few points on this general discussion, not just to ottomets

• for all intents and purposes, the actual backup point guard is elijah hughes. he also happens to be the best one.
  • the rotation as it stands is fine. going back to 2013 there have always been at least 2 and often 3 guys who have played 80% or more of available minutes. so far there is only 1 - eli.
  • eli is playing 90% of available minutes, which is only 40th in the nation. it's not even top 5 of syracuse players in recent years.
  • you do far more to develop your backup players into rotation pieces in the 20 hours a week of allowable practices, not in a couple of 7 or 8 or even 10 minute appearances in game time each week.

Very astute top bullet -- he is the reason that we might be able to get away with having a lead guard who the offense doesn't necessarily have to run through [Buddy and Marek, too, to a lesser extent].

for all intensive purposes. (; ) 15 teams in the acc. if we got 3 in the top ten again. that's poor rotation.
syracuse has 1 in top ten acc. unc, uva, & gtech all have 2

totally disagree with your premise
It’s nothing personal, tbone. Let’s just say that over the years most of your takes are tinged w/ some well-worn anti-JB bias, one that I don’t share and thoroughly disagree with.
On this subject though, we’re on the same page. JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom