Not sure why ... | Syracusefan.com

Not sure why ...

TheOrangeBuddha

Scout Team
Not sure why it has taken this long for the staff to realize that it is NOT good for Kris Joseph, C.J. Fair and Scoop to play the ENTIRE second half of every game. Boeheim at least admitted so in his post-game press conference (when asked about C.J.'s knee - said he was probably tired and that he wanted to get Keita and Southerland more time in 2nd halves).

If the intention is to have these three guys play the super majority of every 2nd half, then the staff needs to get creative and get them some rest in and around the automatic television timeouts (thus increasing the time to rest without a missing too much game time). I personally would like to see Southerland, or God forbid Christmas, be given some spot minutes in the 2nd half of games to allow Joseph and Fair to get some much needed rest. Further, there is simply no reason not to bring Triche back for a few minutes around the midway point of the 2nd half in order to get Scoop some rest. What's the point of having a deep team if we aren't going to use the bench in the 2nd half of our games?

There is absolutely no reason for anyone on this team to be playing 32+ minutes a night. None. Our defense is better when its more active, and its clearly more active when the guys playing it haven't been on the court the entire game. Further, the increased energy should assist with our outside shooting woes. With our depth, we shouldn't have players that are dragging even a bit during games.

Happy for the win, but seeing a bad trend that has to stop.

Is Xmas that bad where he can't get 10-12 minutes, I mean he is athletic enough to at least take up space, get a few boards and some hard fouls

Is Xmas that bad where he can't get 10-12 minutes, I mean he is athletic enough to at least take up space, get a few boards and some hard fouls
I think its more because CJ has been playing so well and you know what you will get from him. I do agree that Rak should see a few more minutes but with Rak in the game we are basically playing 4 on 5 on offense. I think more than anythin that is why CJ has eaten up most of his minutes.

I think its more because CJ has been playing so well and you know what you will get from him. I do agree that Rak should see a few more minutes but with Rak in the game we are basically playing 4 on 5 on offense. I think more than anythin that is why CJ has eaten up most of his minutes.
Not sure why it has taken this long for the staff to realize that it is NOT good for Kris Joseph, C.J. Fair and Scoop to play the ENTIRE second half of every game. Boeheim at least admitted so in his post-game press conference (when asked about C.J.'s knee - said he was probably tired and that he wanted to get Keita and Southerland more time in 2nd halves).

If the intention is to have these three guys play the super majority of every 2nd half, then the staff needs to get creative and get them some rest in and around the automatic television timeouts (thus increasing the time to rest without a missing too much game time). I personally would like to see Southerland, or God forbid Christmas, be given some spot minutes in the 2nd half of games to allow Joseph and Fair to get some much needed rest. Further, there is simply no reason not to bring Triche back for a few minutes around the midway point of the 2nd half in order to get Scoop some rest. What's the point of having a deep team if we aren't going to use the bench in the 2nd half of our games?

There is absolutely no reason for anyone on this team to be playing 32+ minutes a night. None. Our defense is better when its more active, and its clearly more active when the guys playing it haven't been on the court the entire game. Further, the increased energy should assist with our outside shooting woes. With our depth, we shouldn't have players that are dragging even a bit during games.

I sure don't see this bunch winning a national championship with a six-man rotation in the second half and with our guys playing heavy minutes. Scoop won't be as effective playing a full game. Fab sure isn't.

Fair didn't look tired; he came out with a wrap on his knee after halftime and looked kind of gimpy. Hope he's all right.

He is that lost on defense...

I know most people will disagree but my heart sank last night when CJ went down. I think he (and Melo) are the 2 guys we cannot lose.

I basically said the same thing in another thread, just not as detailed as you did. This team's depth is one of it's major strengths. By not rotating in fresh legs throughout the game, JB is actually removing one of our strengths. When things get tough, we usually rely on instinct and JBs instinct is to play his best players a buttload of minutes.

old dog/new tricks

I agree! The thing that made this team so dynamic was the depth and all the fresh legs and different styles each player brought to the court. Now that edge is gone and JB have reverted to getting into his usual rut of a rotation. It makes it much easier to prepare for a 7-8 man rotation

They are 20 year olds playing 2 games a week...fatigue is an excuse...

From game to game, I might agree with you physically (although I would still debate it from a central nervous system perspective). But within a game, kids get winded and their performance suffers when that happens. Giving them a 2 minute rest from time to time would do wonders. I thought they were tired before the under 8:00 TV timeout last night when USF ran off 3 straight lobs over the top fastbreak buckets.

From game to game, I might agree with you physically (although I would still debate it from a central nervous system perspective). But within a game, kids get winded and their performance suffers when that happens. Giving them a 2 minute rest from time to time would do wonders. I thought they were tired before the under 8:00 TV timeout last night when USF ran off 3 straight lobs over the top fastbreak buckets.

Yeah, not only were some of our guys visibly tired, but by playing short numbers we lose the extra advantage of bringing in fresh guys when the other team is tired (or when the other team has its inferior bench players in). Nothing like those situations earlier in the year when we'd build a lead, the opponent would sub, and we'd have (effective) South and Dion coming to the scorer's table.

Right. I interpreted JB's comment as a game to game issue as opposed to an in-game issue. He has been on record as saying the timeouts every 4 mins are enough.

My one and only gripe in the last couple of weeks is why MCW cant get a look over struggling Triche/Waiters. My gut says JB's theory is to let them play out of it.

I know most people will disagree but my heart sank last night when CJ went down.
It didn't look good for a few seconds there.
I had to go to the store today for a new remote control.

My one and only gripe in the last couple of weeks is why MCW cant get a look over struggling Triche/Waiters. My gut says JB's theory is to let them play out of it.
that, and I'm guessing the little sideline blow-up still has MCW in the doghouse.

I would like to start seeing RAK come in to sub for Melo in the second half and play the center roll instead of Keita. I won't hold my breath but it's just tough seeing Keta getting pushed around like a 12 year old in a men's rec league

the point isn't that they can't do it it is that any player is better at 100%, and a quick rest goes a long way to keeping our guys fresh

and as people are realizing this is a defensive team and a big part of defense is being quicker to your spots, and as we saw last night when our guys started to get tired, they started to score, when our guys were not tired we went on a 26-0 run -> they get tired and bam 1 point lead

I would like to start seeing RAK come in to sub for Melo in the second half and play the center roll instead of Keita. I won't hold my breath but it's just tough seeing Keta getting pushed around like a 12 year old in a men's rec league
Keita looked like the Keita of last year last night, forcing turnovers, getting on the floor...

Keita looked like the Keita of last year last night, forcing turnovers, getting on the floor...
True he was better but i was just one game my friend and stone hands gives me the chills everytime we get into a offensive set and he recieves a pass at the top of the key

True he was better but i was just one game my friend and stone hands gives me the chills everytime we get into a offensive set and he recieves a pass at the top of the key
well that is why it is good we have Keita and Xmas, give them both a chance and whoever is playing better can give Fab a couple breathers in the second half

I wouldn't mind seeing some more Rak either, but Keita made some big plays last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom