Not to be negative but I don't see | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not to be negative but I don't see

at worst this year he'll be a contributing glue/energy guy with size - but he also showed offensive glimpses, specifically the drive and dish to Marek and then the drive and finish...
and remember he's still on quite a learning curve and shaking off alot of rust

Blackwell had an offensive game with some mid range skills. Moyer doesn't seem to have any of that. He looks more like what we usually have at center in terms of offensive ability, but about 3-4 inches shorter. He's going to have to be a garbage man and work his tail off to get production, so I think it's a bit of a concern.
He's going to have to spend less time rehearsing Beethoven if that's going to happen.

In talking about player development, I read an interesting article in the KC paper about Cuonzo Martin. His first two years at Purdue, he was a horrible shooter. Keady would bench him if he attempted a 3 pointer. He worked his butt off in the gym after his soph year to develop his shot. His junior year, he shot 45% (88-196) and his senior year, he shot 47% (91-194).

Not saying Matt will ever become that kind of shooter but I think he's the kind that will work his butt off to improve his game. so I'll be interested to see the results.

I haven't compared them in terms of ability, but I see the size and athleticism where you could compare the two.

Moyer has a very very very long way to go to get to Blackwell's level if he ever gets there. Ryan was a very underrated player for us.
I think that is what it is. The fact Moyer can't really jump that high and isn't overly athletic. I don't think it's a fair comparison because I don't think Moyer will ever be the ball handler that Blackwell was and I think that was big part of his game.

He reminds me more of Kris Joseph tbh. Probably will be a little better rebounder than Joseph but that is what his game reminds me of.

images

Has Moyer regressed in terms of athleticism since H.S.? Has he put on some of that Lydon soft weight?

Oh...I wished everytime I saw TR with the ball that this wasn't a million percent true!
roberson wasn't here to dribble . his job was to board. and he averaged more rebounds per minute played than ryan blackwell. (or wallace,owens or etan for that matter)

Ryan Blackwell when I see Matt Moyer. Ryan was really good. I was in Hawaii when he played for Ill against us. I said that night I was really impressed with him. Matt has a ways to go to be in that league. Just my opinion.

That's why my comparable for Moyer was pre-injury Terrence Roberts. Works hard around the rim, good motor, has a bit of a mean edge when he plays. Blackwell was pretty skilled and a borderline McD's, IIRC.

The funny part about this thread is the dependence of some on a rating system based on almost nothing.

One wonders how anyone could objectively, credibly judge the difference between the 50th and 60th best high school players in the US. What, pray tell, is the basis for that?

We'll find out who the best players are ... in two, three or four years.
It wasn't between '50 and 60.' It was between 25, 60, and 100. I hope you're not suggesting that doesn't matter. Even if you believe ratings 'aren't always accurate,' everyone here would rather have a kid rated 25th versus a kid rated 60th.

I also thought Moyer just doesn't look super well-conditioned. I thought, to play the type of game he plays, he should be stronger and more angular. But, maybe that's just who he is, regardless of how much he works. There have been some great players who weren't built like workout warriors with 2% bfi. The Celtics used to win championships with guys who looked like rec league guys. Let's hope Matt progresses with the skills he already has, and the time on the court helps him to refine everything.

roberson wasn't here to dribble . his job was to board. and he averaged more rebounds per minute played than ryan blackwell. (or wallace,owens or etan for that matter)
Well I completely understand your point. Roberson was at times one of the best rebounders in the country. Unfortunately, he also had some moments where he didn't really do the one thing he was really really good at! But on a side note can you tell me what position in basketball that the basic skill of being able to dribble without losing the ball is not a prerequisite to playing that position?

well wrong and wrong. tyler roberson was one of THE BEST rebounders EVER to play at syracuse. you might want to check out the 2016/17 SU media guide page 104 and 105. his picture is up top with DC, rick j , and billy O.
all time top 20 in rebounds for a game (20) . #2 in most rebounds by a soph (313) . #15 in most rebounds in a season.led the team in 15/16 . his name appears 3 times in the top 20 all time single game offensive list (including #1
12 , #3 11 and #20 at 8. he is #1 all-time in season offensive rebounds at 150 averaging over 4 a game. so yeah you can argue the dude had a loose handle. but he is one of the GREATEST rebounders ever to wear orange and that my friend deserves some major respect and not mockery.

well wrong and wrong. tyler roberson was one of THE BEST rebounders EVER to play at syracuse. you might want to check out the 2016/17 SU media guide page 104 and 105. his picture is up top with DC, rick j , and billy O.
all time top 20 in rebounds for a game (20) . #2 in most rebounds by a soph (313) . #15 in most rebounds in a season.led the team in 15/16 . his name appears 3 times in the top 20 all time single game offensive list (including #1
12 , #3 11 and #20 at 8. he is #1 all-time in season offensive rebounds at 150 averaging over 4 a game. so yeah you can argue the dude had a loose handle. but he is one of the GREATEST rebounders ever to wear orange and that my friend deserves some major respect and not mockery.
does it list the (numerous, especially his sr year) games he just didn't show up?

He was a good rebounder. Those other guys were good rebounders and were good at other things too. The more things you do well, the better. Roberson not doing most things well offensively hurt us at times.

Moyer is definitely not at Blackwells level yet. With the competition for playing time at his position, he’ll get better for sure.

Until then Moyer reminds me of 1987 Derek Brower.

He is a hot take artist. Little substance. Marek will not be here on two years let alone four. He will be getting paid, whether in the NBA or europe.

Your agenda is weak and your prophesies are comical.

i'd say poor coaching had something to do with that. the doghouse. but that don't erase the record book ink.

That's why my comparable for Moyer was pre-injury Terrence Roberts. Works hard around the rim, good motor, has a bit of a mean edge when he plays. Blackwell was pretty skilled and a borderline McD's, IIRC.

Yea, he physically looks a little like Blackwell but otherwise it's a weird comparison. Blackwell was very skilled but an underwhelming athlete who sometimes seemed to coast. Moyer might be a little more athletic, but so far is miles from Blackwell on a skill level. On the other hand, no one will doubt his motor. If all we are saying is he isn't a great athlete, that's a very bad sign because Blackwell had a lot else going.

I don't think he's the athlete Roberts was, either. But I think he'll have a better career. Roberts, pre-injury, was maybe the most incomprehensible player I remember - a tremendous athlete who clearly gave a damn and showed flashes of brilliance but never put those pieces into a legit be level player. That his most lasting memory was hitting a three pointer to beat Rutgers is an almost too-perfect incapsulation of his career.

Truthfully I think the best syracuse comparison might be kristoff. And that's not a terrible thing!

Yea, he physically looks a little like Blackwell but otherwise it's a weird comparison. Blackwell was very skilled but an underwhelming athlete who sometimes seemed to coast. Moyer might be a little more athletic, but so far is miles from Blackwell on a skill level. On the other hand, no one will doubt his motor. If all we are saying is he isn't a great athlete, that's a very bad sign because Blackwell had a lot else going.

I don't think he's the athlete Roberts was, either. But I think he'll have a better career. Roberts, pre-injury, was maybe the most incomprehensible player I remember - a tremendous athlete who clearly gave a damn and showed flashes of brilliance but never put those pieces into a legit be level player. That his most lasting memory was hitting a three pointer to beat Rutgers is an almost too-perfect incapsulation of his career.

Truthfully I think the best syracuse comparison might be kristoff. And that's not a terrible thing!

Yeah, I kinda like the Kristoff comparison! Especially with his role. Roberts blows Moyer away in terms of athleticism. The guy was frustrating often, robotic, but he was an explosive and physical jumping jack who at times seemed like he could shatter the glass with the power of his dunks. As mentioned earlier, Blackwell far exceeds Moyer in terms of skills but their bodies/athleticism are similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom