Not to get to far ahead but looking at the 2024 Schedule | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not to get to far ahead but looking at the 2024 Schedule

In a perfect world, we could somehow take either Tennessee or Notre Dame from 2025 and put them in 2024 to balance both out.

2024 is borderline embarrassing and 2025 is too tough now that the Vols are actually good. I'm a fan of the one high profile + two mid-major + 1 FCS game format OOC approach.

That said, I can't wait to be in the ATL for that Tennessee game.
Oh I’m with ya, your format is exactly what we should be doing.

People will complain incessantly about 2025 but we can’t pass on an opportunity like Tennessee, even with ND already on the schedule. And I’ll certainly be there too.

I’m just poking at the “schedule is tooo harrrrrd!” crowd. It rarely is, it’s just what it is, being a cellar dweller in a Power 5 conference.

I wouldn't be surprised if we agree to play them at Gilette at some point. Wouldn't be the worst decision if we are looking to create some regional buzz for our program where we get recruits annually. I think it would irritate BC if we did that which would be a bonus for UConn/Syracuse
Regarding the 2024 Syacuse-UConn game...

Regardless of where it is played, it looks like it is going to be an October or November game. We are doing them a solid playing them at a point in the season normally reserved for conference play.

That said, playing a relatively weak program in October or especially November can be a godsend to a team that is banged up from conference play. Our record in November has been awful since we joined the ACC and if we could have just found a way to go .500 that month, we would have gone bowling a lot more than we have. Perhaps this is a move to help remedy this issue?

Let's talk specifics here. Looking at the UConn schedule for 2024, the date of the game appears to be October 19th, October 26th, November 16th or November 23rd.

Guessing UConn will schedule their bye on October 19th (they would have played 7 consecutive weeks). So 10/26, 11/16 or 11/23 seem like the most likely dates.

My prediction is the game will be played on 11/23, as we try and emulate some other ACC schools that play a weak team the week before Thanksgiving weekend.

I get the feeling it is going to be played in Connecticut and I would not be surprised if there is snow on the ground. Giddy up.

People will complain incessantly about 2025 but we can’t pass on an opportunity like Tennessee, even with ND already on the schedule. And I’ll certainly be there too.
Guaranteed more potential recruits will be watching a Labor Day Weekend game SU/Vols in primetime (when the entire country is foaming at the mouth for football to start) than a Tuesday December bowl game against Directional U. that starts at 3 pm.

Guaranteed more potential recruits will be watching a Labor Day Weekend game SU/Vols in primetime (when the entire country is foaming at the mouth for football to start) than a Tuesday December bowl game against Directional U. that starts at 3 pm.
Agree completely. And if we can’t get to 6 wins in 2025 — Dino’s TENTH year as head coach — then we have much bigger problems than 1 OOC game.

I’m just poking at the “schedule is tooo harrrrrd!” crowd. It rarely is, it’s just what it is, being a cellar dweller in a Power 5 conference.

I'm going to complain about Tennessee. We go to the beach every Labor Day to wrap up the summer.

Who's going to explain 2025 to my wife, when I say I'm going to the tiki bar and come back 2 days later.

Perhaps you can all help me come up with a good story.

World's largest cocktail party? The Texas Fair game (Red River shootout I think?).

If they are done right, they are fantastic. I've been to last 2 Irish games and those were fantastic events to attend. We've been saddled with atrocious neutral games at crappy Metlife and even crappier new Yankee Stadium. Those stadiums are just antiseptic, no buzz around those stadiums pregame, etc.

If we played at Fenway Park we'd look at it differently
Those neutral sites are part of the tradition of those rivalry games. Completely different, imo.

And I would hate it at Fenway, too. We have a perfectly fine stadium in Syracuse, NY that thousands of people buy season tickets to watch games in. Just play the games there.

Regarding the 2024 Syacuse-UConn game...

Regardless of where it is played, it looks like it is going to be an October or November game. We are doing them a solid playing them at a point in the season normally reserved for conference play.

That said, playing a relatively weak program in October or especially November can be a godsend to a team that is banged up from conference play. Our record in November has been awful since we joined the ACC and if we could have just found a way to go .500 that month, we would have gone bowling a lot more than we have. Perhaps this is a move to help remedy this issue?

Let's talk specifics here. Looking at the UConn schedule for 2024, the date of the game appears to be October 19th, October 26th, November 16th or November 23rd.

Guessing UConn will schedule their bye on October 19th (they would have played 7 consecutive weeks). So 10/26, 11/16 or 11/23 seem like the most likely dates.

My prediction is the game will be played on 11/23, as we try and emulate some other ACC schools that play a weak team the week before Thanksgiving weekend.

I get the feeling it is going to be played in Connecticut and I would not be surprised if there is snow on the ground. Giddy up.
There won’t be snow. It rarely snows significantly in CT anymore, and definitely not in November.

Climate change, baby.

There won’t be snow. It rarely snows significantly in CT anymore, and definitely not in November.

Climate change, baby.
Hell wait until 10 years from now when those southern states are averaging 110 degrees plus. They will be inviting Syracuse into the SEC just to have a cooler place to play a game. :cool: And our response should be "Sure, as long as you agree not to add FSU".

Climate change, baby.
That would be nice. Very odd that a location for the game has not been announced yet.

As I think about this a bit, I can't help but note that Yankee Stadium cannot be used for football games until November.

Wouldn't it be awesome to play there in November again in 2024?

Why not play another bowl game there in 2023 and 2024 as well?

The most important thing to me regarding Syracuse football and scheduling is that we never play another game in Yankee Stadium. Ever.

Okay, I guess it would be okay to play another one in November of 2123 to commemorate the 1923 SU-Pitt game. Once every 100 years is plenty for me at this point.

They went up 21-3 and it looked like it would be a blowout. We came back and made it as close as 21-16 but they ended up winning 42-29. And there was that long weather delay mid-game.
I enjoyed the extra bar time. :)

That would be nice. Very odd that a location for the game has not been announced yet.

As I think about this a bit, I can't help but note that Yankee Stadium cannot be used for football games until November.

The most important thing to me regarding Syracuse football and scheduling is that we never play another game in Yankee Stadium. Ever.

Okay, I guess it would be okay to play another one in November of 2123 to commemorate the 1923 SU-Pitt game. Once every 100 years is plenty for me at this point.
Maybe SU can make a deal with Bauer and get some quality skates to play at Yankee Stadium?

He said repeatedly early on in his tenure he would not move home games to neutral sites for paydays like Gross. With Pitt, he's gone back on his word. I question his credibility.
OK…..trying not to get aggravated any more about it but moving this particular PITT game out of The Dome is one of the top ten dumbest moves in SU Athletic Department history.

This SU squad has the potential to be really good. Injuries are, of course, the X factor but they not only have a lot of solid and talented position groups but will also benefit from experienced leadership. Sprinkle in the fact that they are geared up to play and exciting brand of football that can learn from the struggles they faced after last year’s fast start.

I get the money aspect of it to some extent but winning for this program is SO important right now, I want any competitive advantage I can have for THIS team. To recap:

You take a team that will play all Home games on artificial surface and move the. To a grass surface that has been iffy at best

You take a team from one of the great home field advantages and move it out of that environment to one that will be close to a “push” or something far less than it would be in the ‘Cuse

You move the game against a recruiting rival and make it more difficult for your team to pitch the truly special nature of The Dome environment while allowing Pitt to make the same pitch we are (ie look….we get to play in Yankee Stadium)

You are on the verge of asking a number of season ticket holders to swallow hard re: the impending move of seat locations and take a home game from them and move a home game (BTW I am firmly in the camp that if this tea, consistently wins, The Dome will be close to full regardless of seating and cup holders).

The way the schedule sets up in October, SU could use as many true home games as possible.

Seems like a pretty big gamble for what seems to have a low margin for return even if everything goes right.

SUOrange44

OK…..trying not to get aggravated any more about it but moving this particular PITT game out of The Dome is one of the top ten dumbest moves in SU Athletic Department history.

This SU squad has the potential to be really good. Injuries are, of course, the X factor but they not only have a lot of solid and talented position groups but will also benefit from experienced leadership. Sprinkle in the fact that they are geared up to play and exciting brand of football that can learn from the struggles they faced after last year’s fast start.

I get the money aspect of it to some extent but winning for this program is SO important right now, I want any competitive advantage I can have for THIS team. To recap:

You take a team that will play all Home games on artificial surface and move the. To a grass surface that has been iffy at best

You take a team from one of the great home field advantages and move it out of that environment to one that will be close to a “push” or something far less than it would be in the ‘Cuse

You move the game against a recruiting rival and make it more difficult for your team to pitch the truly special nature of The Dome environment while allowing Pitt to make the same pitch we are (ie look….we get to play in Yankee Stadium)

You are on the verge of asking a number of season ticket holders to swallow hard re: the impending move of seat locations and take a home game from them and move a home game (BTW I am firmly in the camp that if this tea, consistently wins, The Dome will be close to full regardless of seating and cup holders).

The way the schedule sets up in October, SU could use as many true home games as possible.

Seems like a pretty big gamble for what seems to have a low margin for return even if everything goes right.

SUOrange44

Exactly.

These concerns need to be sent to the appropriate people within SUAD

Yeah, and when this deal was made, Tennessee wasn’t very good. Hard to predict the future.

I'm going to complain about Tennessee. We go to the beach every Labor Day to wrap up the summer.

Who's going to explain 2025 to my wife, when I say I'm going to the tiki bar and come back 2 days later.

Perhaps you can all help me come up with a good story.
You got kidnapped by a roving band of Russian parrot heads. You woke up in a hotel room in a bathtub full of ice, one kidney and a Jimmy Buffet tattoo.

I don’t ever want to watch football in a baseball stadium ever again. It’s an awful experience.

Add to that, Yankee Stadium has all the charm of a dying New Jersey mall.

I can’t adequately express how stupid it is to move our Pitt game to that godforsaken location. And I’d be happy if we never played in the Pinstripe again.

In a perfect world, we could somehow take either Tennessee or Notre Dame from 2025 and put them in 2024 to balance both out.

2024 is borderline embarrassing and 2025 is too tough now that the Vols are actually good. I'm a fan of the one high profile + two mid-major + 1 FCS game format OOC approach.

That said, I can't wait to be in the ATL for that Tennessee game.

After Shrader, Gadsen, Wax and some other guys leave, I think it's a good idea to have a cupcake schedule to try to ensure 3 bowls in a row with the new QB.

That was as good as watching a real game. Maybe sports just becomes watching these from now on.
Oddly I got excited when we got a first down or stopped them on a play. Just like a real game.
The clock thing was so weird it was hard to accept.

Yeah, and when this deal was made, Tennessee wasn’t very good. Hard to predict the future.

Historically, one should expect Tennessee to be reasonably good every year, and occasionally great. This is like having a game against Michigan State.

Agree completely. And if we can’t get to 6 wins in 2025 — Dino’s TENTH year as head coach — then we have much bigger problems than 1 OOC game.
Well to be fair, our other problem is we also play AT ND AT Clemson and AT FSU. Not many teams will come out of that with anything but 0-4. We had to do the UT game however, way too much cash to pass up, just rough timing. No FCS game in 2025, but still enough winnable games to get to 6.

Well to be fair, our other problem is we also play AT ND AT Clemson and AT FSU. Not many teams will come out of that with anything but 0-4. We had to do the UT game however, way too much cash to pass up, just rough timing. No FCS game in 2025, but still enough winnable games to get to 6.

Well, I'm sure one of them would be HAPPY to volunteer to swap and come to the Dome. After all, we always seem to move our home games for other teams, why wouldn't they? It's just the gentlemanly thing to do.

I'm very excited for that Army game in West Point next year. I've never been to West Point before but everyone who watches a game there seems to love it.
There was a ferry that would leave from either NYC or Weehawken NJ that would take you up the Hudson to the campus.
It was a great way to go to a game if near the NYC area. It might have food service
You also can visit the Army Museum
Not sure it is still running