Not trying to be over dramatic here but | Syracusefan.com

Not trying to be over dramatic here but

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Yesterday's loss was probably one of the worst Losses in the modern era of Syracuse bball.

That St. Johns is team god awful.

They lost by about 50 to Vandy, were down 20 something in the second half to Rutgers, (Rutgers people) before making a miraculous last second comeback. Got blown out by Fordham and scored 48, forty-freeking eight against Niagara.

Maybe were all just numb to the loss and the fact that JB obviously wasn't there but this is as bad as it gets.
This program is in a world of hurt right now and Hopkins while certainly not to blame for this has looked completely lost out there since taking over. If anyone thought JB should have hung them up by now, your insane. He can't get back fast enough.

Hopkins can definitely share some of the blame though.

People don't realize how great JB is and take him for granted.

I've had my position on this for several years now so I'm not over reacting from one loss, but this is an elite basketball job, the Syracuse admins would be crazy to hand over the keys to a coach in waiting. The job should be opened up to a national search and the best candidate hired. If it's Hop fine, but if it's someone else that's fine to.

I think all of this Hopkins blame is a copout IMO.

I predicted Hopkins would take the blame if we struggled 2 weeks ago and he is.

Hopkins did not go 5-26 from three

He did not shoot 19-31 from the line.

Yes it was bad, but hopefully this is the low point of the season.

We lost to St. Johns the same way we lost to Wisconsin.

And I wish people would stop using the transitive property in basketball. It isn't football. It does not work that way.

And I wish people would stop using the transitive property in basketball. It isn't football. It does not work that way.
A team struggling to shoot can always play D. Our D has been horrible all year.

We are an average team. How people didn't think this going in kind of blows my mind. Atlantis was fun, but if you thought we would keep up 50% shooting from 3...

AND...this is all with G playing like an all american and Lydon being a much better player than people anticipated.

I am more upset with silly substitutions and lack of any desire to change the status quo.

We are an average team. How people didn't think this going in kind of blows my mind. Atlantis was fun, but if you thought we would keep up 50% shooting from 3...

AND...this is all with G playing like an all american and Lydon being a much better player than people anticipated.

I am more upset with silly substitutions and lack of any desire to change the status quo.
Funny when Howard came in, he went to the hole and found G for a wide open corner 3...

The only thing I would quibble with is we could of applied pressure earlier, but this is why the transitive property doesn't work in basketball.

We play a rather passive style of defense. Which plays to St. Johns strengths.

The teams the OP's mentioned played a more aggressive style of defense and is the reason St. Johns was completely blown out of the building in those games.

Even if Boeheim was coaching we would not of exploited St. Johns weaknesses because we still would of sat back in the zone.
Mussini is a weak ball handler for a pg, but he is a good shooter and passer.

If you don't pressure him you are giving him a pass, and we did.

Agree and disagree. While Hop didn't shoot 5-26 from 3, it's his job to call timeouts and reset the offense if it's not working. Malachi going 0-11 from 3 and Cooney going 1-8 from 3 should not have happened. They were starting to have success with going inside towards the middle of the 2nd half. Why not keep penetrating the lane? Gbinije can get there at will. Cooney can too, for the most part. Mal was getting buckets inside. But they kept chucking up 3's that weren't going in.

Also, he should have recognized to put pressure on the ball handlers earlier. That's also on Hop. I love the guy, but I agree that he's looked lost out there and hasn't really given me faith in the next 6 games.

It isn't football but if the QB goes 10-26 and the MLB has a facemask on 3rd and 27 it's the coach's fault. If these guys can't shoot and can't play defense and play with their heads up their butts against inferior opponents it's the coach's fault just the same.

St. John's hit shots they normally miss or never take and we missed shots that we should hit. Just like Wisconsin.

The foul shooting thing is a joke however.

I want to see more Howard and a more aggressive Lydon.

This isn't football where we get out-talented.

Agree with most of that but the transitive property definitely works here. Were not talking about UNC losing to Northern Iowa without Page were talking about losing by double digits to Fordham and by about 50 to Vandy. St. Johns is awful but somehow yesterday we were worse. People don't realize just how bad that team really is. When you see some of their Big East scores this year I think people will get the picture.

We shot 29% from the 3 point line against Wisconsin. 35% overall. 55% from the FT line. And were outrebounded by 26.

WITH JB coaching.

And should have won that game, that went to OT.

Wisconsin is also better than St. John's. By a wide margin.

Hopkins can definitely share some of the blame though.

People don't realize how great JB is and take him for granted.

I've had my position on this for several years now so I'm not over reacting from one loss, but this is an elite basketball job, the Syracuse admins would be crazy to hand over the keys to a coach in waiting. The job should be opened up to a national search and the best candidate hired. If it's Hop fine, but if it's someone else that's fine to.

Honestly, I think you have to give Hop a chance. I can't imagine the basketball alumni would be happy to not see him get a few years. He should get the Shafer three year opportunity.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far. Hopefully he figures it out.

We shot 29% from the 3 point line against Wisconsin. 35% overall. 55% from the FT line. And were outrebounded by 26.

WITH JB coaching.

Maybe the problem isn't coaching.

That down Wisky team is light years better then what we lost to yesterday. Again with JB that's a game SU was leading late and up by 5-6 that we gave away. A worse team with Hopkins were down double digits late. With JB that game is a win, sorry.

And if JB was there...

we still lose to Georgetown and St Johns...

and people would be clamoring for Hop to take over sooner.
It's symptomatic of a spoiled and entitled fan base experiencing what it's like to be a fan of 98% of the other programs out there.

Wisconsin is also better than St. John's. By a wide margin.

This is the same Wisconsin team that lost to Western Illinois, Georgetown (by 10), Milwaukee, and Marquette.

The problem with evaluating Hop is that he's got to try and run things like Boeheim. A lot of people wanted to give Lester a pass for 2014 because he was forced to use McDonald's playbook, so it should be noted that Hop might have some other things in store when it's his program.

I don't know if Diagne would have been a huge impact, but not having another option at Center/PF is hurting this squad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom