Not trying to be over dramatic here but | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Not trying to be over dramatic here but

Honestly, I think you have to give Hop a chance. I can't imagine the basketball alumni would be happy to not see him get a few years. He should get the Shafer three year opportunity.

I'm not impressed with what I've seen so far. Hopefully he figures it out.

How much more of a chance does the guy need?? I mean really, he has already coached over 2 games and has a losing record. He came in totally cold when the suspension was moved up suddenly, played 2 out of 3 games on the road against teams who it was their superbowl to play us and allowed the team to shoot a hideous percentage from the FT line. We have had enough. It is time for a change!!!

HoustonCuse said:
How much more of a chance does the guy need?? I mean really, he has already coached over 2 games and has a losing record. He came in totally cold when the suspension was moved up suddenly, played 2 out of 3 games on the road against teams who it was their superbowl to play us and allowed the team to shoot a hideous percentage from the FT line. We have had enough. It is time for a change!!!

Well done.

Yesterday's loss was probably one of the worst Losses in the modern era of Syracuse bball.

That St. Johns is team god awful.

They lost by about 50 to Vandy, were down 20 something in the second half to Rutgers, (Rutgers people) before making a miraculous last second comeback. Got blown out by Fordham and scored 48, forty-freeking eight against Niagara.

Maybe were all just numb to the loss and the fact that JB obviously wasn't there but this is as bad as it gets.
This program is in a world of hurt right now and Hopkins while certainly not to blame for this has looked completely lost out there since taking over. If anyone thought JB should have hung them up by now, your insane. He can't get back fast enough.
With all due respect you must have missed Shumperts Senior Year (IMHO the worst team in Boeheims tenure) I'm not talking about w's and L's only True St Johns is bad but so was G'town

St. John's hit shots they normally miss or never take and we missed shots that we should hit. Just like Wisconsin.

The foul shooting thing is a joke however.

I want to see more Howard and a more aggressive Lydon.

This isn't football where we get out-talented.
Hint: See History ,Foreign Guys can shoot 3's and FT's especially 3's when unguarded

I think all of this Hopkins blame is a copout IMO.
I predicted Hopkins would take the blame if we struggled 2 weeks ago and he is.
Hopkins did not go 5-26 from three
He did not shoot 19-31 from the line.
Yes it was bad, but hopefully this is the low point of the season.
We lost to St. Johns the same way we lost to Wisconsin.
And I wish people would stop using the transitive property in basketball. It isn't football. It does not work that way.

I haven't even thought once about blaming Hopkins for this. When your center is 6-8 and on the thin size , bigger teams will eat your lunch. Only way they won't is by shooting a minimum 55% from the floor and making all your foul shots. This isn't the day of the ECAC with Bob Dooms.

Hint: See History ,Foreign Guys can shoot 3's and FT's especially 3's when unguarded

marco baldi couldn't shoot threes,,,,,flashback:

BALDI OF ST. JOHN'S BANNED FOR TOURNEY
Special to the New York Times
Published: March 15, 1986

• LONG BEACH, Calif., March 14— Marco Baldi, St. John's 6-foot-11-inch freshman backup center, has been declared ineligible for the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament and for a number of games next season, the school said today.
big foreign dude is somewhere on the mount gavitt of all time dirtiest big east players.

Last edited:
"Hop might have some other things in store when it's his program."

ok if you're head coach and what you're doing clearly isn't working you change tack pronto and don't worry about what JB thinks. please don't try to tell he he's taking the losses now but things will change when he's in command. if you think that Hopkins is absorbing losses now and won't change things up out of deference to JB i don't want him as head coach ever.

Last edited:

ok if you're head coach and what you're doing clearly isn't working you change tack pronto and don't worry about what JB thinks. please don't try to tell he he's taking the losses now but things will change when he's in command. if you think that Hopkins is absorbing losses now and won't change things up out of deference i don't want him as head coach ever.
If you're basing what you think is Hop's mindset and coaching ability on 3 games played by a flawed team that's not his (two of which were on the road), I have to question your judgment.

If you're basing what you think is Hop's mindset and coaching ability on 3 games played by a flawed team that's not his (two of which were on the road), I have to question your judgment.
ONCE AGAIN i'm saying hopkins doesn't get the "newbie pass". other than a brief CBA stint he's been here since 1996 .he's done nothing else ! so don't tell me he's learning the ropes or he needs a grading curve. if you stick around this long you get no slack. either hopkin's is ready or not. i said years back it's too bad he didn't try his chops elsewhere first. well he's your untested head coach now and in the future. so please don't give me the 2 games crap.

i'm saying hopkins doesn't get the "newbie pass". other than a brief CBA stint he's been here since 1996 .he's done nothing else ! so don't tell me he's learning the ropes or he needs a grading curve. if you stick around this long you get no slack. either hopkin's is ready or not. i said years back it's too bad he didn't try his chops elsewhere first. well he's your untested head coach now and in the future. so please don't give me the 2 games crap.
Oh, please. No one gets to learn on the job? It's different being the boss. But of course you know that. You just choose to ignore it. I don't care how long you've been the assistant. Being the boss is different. I will tell you he's learning the ropes. Because he is. And I will give you the 2 games crap - he didn't put this team together. Would he have done anything differently? Who knows? Not me. And certainly not you.

From your statement, I guess he's not YOUR untested coach. What team are you rooting for now?

ok if you're head coach and what you're doing clearly isn't working you change tack pronto and don't worry about what JB thinks. please don't try to tell he he's taking the losses now but things will change when he's in command. if you think that Hopkins is absorbing losses now and won't change things up out of deference i don't want him as head coach ever.

I don't know how you can judge Hopkins when it isn't even his team yet. He's the Substitute teacher. He still does things at the direction of his boss. This is a copout.

"Hey tbonezone, you've only been the head of sales at xyz company for a week, but sales are lower than last week, so you we are letting you go, because you aren't as good as the guy who retired last week."

I'm sure there would be people on the board that would want JB to retire right now if we would of went 9-0 during this stretch.

Who knows what if we win the three ACC games. You, yourself may end up saying that.

if i've been the vice president of said company for 20 years and the president takes a couple weeks off sales better not miss a beat. i'm not passing judgement here on hop's performance or laying the losses on him. what i'm saying is he's got no excuses for playing "i'm mr. new guy". he's been in this system since before his players were even born. no pass here.

Last edited:
but if the week before you took over there was an oil rig fire that cut production, would it really be reasonable of the president to expect you to totally resolve that and perform as if there were no rig damage?

#1 ) what caught fire exactly last week? the JB suspension (and his looming retirement) were certainly foreseeable and even planned occurrences. this caught you by surprise why ? it was actually a gift to move it forward.
#2 ) i would expect that long term highly trained and already pre anointed successor to handle any emergency.
#3 ) you're glad i'm not AD ? Kent Syverud has already put out notice. loyalty nothing. we want results. hooraah!

Last edited:
I don't know how you can judge Hopkins when it isn't even his team yet. He's the Substitute teacher. He still does things at the direction of his boss. This is a copout.

"Hey tbonezone, you've only been the head of sales at xyz company for a week, but sales are lower than last week, so you we are letting you go, because you aren't as good as the guy who retired last week."

I'm sure there would be people on the board that would want JB to retire right now if we would of went 9-0 during this stretch.

Who knows what if we win the three ACC games. You, yourself may end up saying that.

A substitute teacher isn't in a classroom daily for the last 20 years and probably wasn't a student in the class! What is the point of having assistant coaches if they don't know what the hell is going on? By saying Hopkins is not at all responsible for the team is saying that assistants are pointless and do nothing.

If he can't hit the ground running after being "head coach in waiting" for all these years is he really capable of being a head coach at a place like Syracuse? Should he really be that thrown off at the suspension being moved up? What the hell is he going to do when his starting center gets injured or gets suspended right before the biggest games of the year?

I'm not saying he did poorly because it's too early to tell, but if he does he shouldn't get the job automatically. A good coach can take a crap roster and do magic.

A substitute teacher isn't in a classroom daily for the last 20 years and probably wasn't a student in the class! What is the point of having assistant coaches if they don't know what the hell is going on? By saying Hopkins is not at all responsible for the team is saying that assistants are pointless and do nothing.

If he can't hit the ground running after being "head coach in waiting" for all these years is he really capable of being a head coach at a place like Syracuse? Should he really be that thrown off at the suspension being moved up? What the hell is he going to do when his starting center gets injured or gets suspended right before the biggest games of the year?

I'm not saying he did poorly because it's too early to tell, but if he does he shouldn't get the job automatically. A good coach can take a crap roster and do magic.

Who says he won't hit the ground running.

Some of you make no sense. THIS IS NOT Hopkins team.

The same posters that have been saying that the team was flawed, are the same posters questioning Hopkins. You act like Boeheim wouldn't of lost those games.

We are three games in and people are complaining. This place is too predictable.
Same crap every year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom