Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not what we wanted but pretty much meaningless

Yeah, I was expecting a scrimmage-type effort on our part and that is what we got.

It didn't help USF's coach was intent on curb-stomping us in as douchey a way as possible... 4th-and-7 in the 4th qtr and going for it and running around and yelling at the refs all game like a spazz.. Their player ejected for targeting, smiling and laughing on the sidelines and getting hi-fives from other players after the play... They had the dirty punk swagger of miami in the early nineties. Bullied by punks.
That’s what happens when 1 team prepares to win and whatever we did during the 15 practices. If i’m Villari i’m livid. He is going to be a TE next year. We really haven’t seen him produce as a TE during the season. i would want as many practice reps as possible at a brand new position, not getting my face mashed in trying to run the stupid wildcat. This time could have been used much more importantly. How about trying to develop Davis. I think we all know he probably gets the talk but at least give the kid a shot to put something on tape. it’s been no secret Shrader has been hurt. He should have been getting increasing snaps throughout practice the last month + as well as the 15 bowl game practices to see what he has and is worth keeping. Same goes for Villari at TE. He’s still a bit of an unknown there. I do think he can be a leader and help with the culture coming from a winning program but he needed to be taking TE reps. What an absolute waste of 15 practices and an even more embarrassing team effort against a really really bad USF team. Sure many think it’s an exhibition but every time we step on the field and are representing Syracuse i want to win. Just 1 less trophy to display. Still disgusted.

Forgot to mention Coach Lig should go to. Fumbled snap leading to fumble TD. Two delay of game penalities and another botched snap at the end of the game. No excuses from that unit. Everyone was intact. ST’s sucked all year. Hopefully Fran will reassess.

That’s what happens when 1 team prepares to win and whatever we did during the 15 practices. If i’m Villari i’m livid. He is going to be a TE next year. We really haven’t seen him produce as a TE during the season. i would want as many practice reps as possible at a brand new position, not getting my face mashed in trying to run the stupid wildcat. This time could have been used much more importantly. How about trying to develop Davis. I think we all know he probably gets the talk but at least give the kid a shot to put something on tape. it’s been no secret Shrader has been hurt. He should have been getting increasing snaps throughout practice the last month + as well as the 15 bowl game practices to see what he has and is worth keeping. Same goes for Villari at TE. He’s still a bit of an unknown there. I do think he can be a leader and help with the culture coming from a winning program but he needed to be taking TE reps. What an absolute waste of 15 practices and an even more embarrassing team effort against a really really bad USF team. Sure many think it’s an exhibition but every time we step on the field and are representing Syracuse i want to win. Just 1 less trophy to display. Still disgusted.

Forgot to mention Coach Lig should go to. Fumbled snap leading to fumble TD. Two delay of game penalities and another botched snap at the end of the game. No excuses from that unit. Everyone was intact. ST’s sucked all year. Hopefully Fran will reassess.

We are in rebuild mode and have many players with one foot out the door. Expecting players that are leaving to use these practices well for a team they won't be part of next year is a bit of a reach. The bowl and the practices that went with had little meaning with the new coach hire and the roster turnover that is about to take place. I wish it had more meaning, but in our situation, it doesn't.

I was expecting a loss here (albeit a bit more competitive one) but it is what it is. It wasn't fun but not completely unexpected... and the Dino era fittingly ends with a thud...

Also, Davis got targeted on purpose - make no mistake. If we left him in he was going to get it again. USF were dirty dogs.

We are in rebuild mode and have many players with one foot out the door. Expecting players that are leaving to use these practices well for a team they won't be part of next year is a bit of a reach. The bowl and the practices that went with had little meaning with the new coach hire and the roster turnover that is about to take place. I wish it had more meaning, but in our situation, it doesn't.

I was expecting a loss here (albeit a bit more competitive one) but it is what it is. It wasn't fun but not completely unexpected... and the Dino era fittingly ends with a thud...

Also, Davis got targeted on purpose - make no mistake. If we left him in he was going to get it again. USF were dirty dogs.
The guys that are going to be here those shouldn’t have been wasted practice opportunities. They should have been valuable practice and game reps. USF wasn’t dirty they played hard. We were dirtier than them if we are being totally honest. Huge missed opportunity to develop Davis and Villari at his soon to be position. Wildcat is a terrible gimmick offense that anyone with a brain knew was going to be absolutely stuffed with 3 weeks to prepare.

The guys that are going to be here those shouldn’t have been wasted practice opportunities. They should have been valuable practice and game reps. USF wasn’t dirty they played hard. We were dirtier than them if we are being totally honest. Huge missed opportunity to develop Davis and Villari at his soon to be position. Wildcat is a terrible gimmick offense that anyone with a brain knew was going to be absolutely stuffed with 3 weeks to prepare.

Nunz said the young guys did get valuable practice time and that it will pay dividends in the future for the program, even tho it wasn't evident in this result... He also said they weren't going to throw Davis to the wolves as a freshmen QB and the plan was to work him in limited sets in this game.

The targeting was a really dirty play and done on purpose.

I don't disagree that the wildcat would likely be ineffective, but what do you think we should have done?

Run the offense that Kyle McCord will run next year under the OC that isn't even on campus yet??

Anyways, glass half full and all that is what I am saying.

It was a crappy loss.

Last edited:

Syracuse.com has Lig as staying.

Davis clearly should not have been out there, he's a 3rd string flyer for a reason. Lining DV up anywhere would have the same result with what we put on the field.

Last edited:
I thought the special teams ...to be polite, struggled. Coach Bob is coming back and this better not be what we see next year.
Agree totally. ST can be real game changer for a program like ours that needs to get an edge wherever we can and we just kept shooting ourselves in the foot.

For one thing. Why don’t we have a QB holding for FG’s?
As others have said OO, themz the old days. That said, kind of would like to see a walk on QB do it or at least someone that can catch, spin the laces and be able to throw the ball,

Instead of playing bowl games they should just simulate them on PlayStation and have a watch party with both teams. I’d rather see that.

Bowl games used to be for the elite teams in a season. Mediocre teams whose coaches were fired didn't wind up in them. Maybe the portal and games like this will result in a melting down of the 40+bowls back to a more reasonable 20-25. It should be a dozen.

What was illegal about that? It's in from the side, not the back. He does it with the shoulder.
Was it on their QB maybe?

If so, still a bad call and preferential treatment of a player.

I don’t think it was meaningless for the people who paid good money and took time out of their busy holiday schedule to travel there for the game.
Much better for them to wallow in a sense of bitterness and dwell on the futility of their life choices, I suppose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom