Notes from Marrone's presser. | Syracusefan.com

Notes from Marrone's presser.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
I had some concerns this week, which is why I closed practice. Last Sunday, the first thing I received from the training room was the news that three of our corners have casts on their hands. Everyone knows we are playing man-to-man and I was concerned that it would be reported that they had casts on their hands, and then all of a sudden Rutgers adds more go-routes.

“In the second half they did a nice job with the go-routes. We were in position to pick a couple of them off. (sophomore cornerback) Keon Lyn was in position to pick that ball off if he didn’t have a cast on his hand. He was in great position, but he just couldn’t make the interception because of the cast. I was trying to protect those players specifically.

“Obviously (sophomore running back) Prince Tyson Gulley has a collar bone injury that we found out about this week. It was a bad injury that he had to get operated on. (Senior quarterback) Ryan Nassib’s hand was bothering him. (Redshirt senior wide receiver) Nick Provo had a shoulder injury. We even got some players back this week that I was excited about and they re-injured themselves.

“(Senior strong safety) Olando Fisher came back this week. He is our starting nickel and I thought we were going to have him out there but he couldn’t go. Those were the things that we going on and I tried to keep that away from the players so they could concentrate. I would never block out the media, but now that the corners have been seen with casts it is known. But that is what was going on and I was more than happy to tell anyone that off the record.”

http://www.suathletics.com/sports/2011/10/1/FB_1001112729.aspx?id=7756

Marrone stil has a lot to figure out. No doubt about that. I have not gone through the whole presser yet, but he needs to come out with the o bullshit: "We, as a Staff...screwed up this week. We own it and we owe the players and the fans one back." That's got to be the posture this week. If he wants to act like Bellicheck, he has to earn it.

44cuse

Since nothing on the field looked any different than last week injury wise except for Gulley, I'd be more interested in knowing why Goggins was covering Sanu in the end zone on that TD pass.

Because the linebackers blew their coverage. You could see the CB yelling at the LBs and they kept waiving him off. Then at the snap both LBs blitzed from the outside. It's 5am, so my mind is a little foggy on who the specific players were.

Did he mention what was wrong with Hackett's head?
This loss is about failure to stay focused and to execute the play called. There were many plays that were very well called when they were attempted and yet poor execution and/or lack of focus was the underlying reason for much of our poor offensive showing. Yes, execution has an aspect of coaching as well as an aspect of individual responsibility to team.

Because the linebackers blew their coverage. You could see the CB yelling at the LBs and they kept waiving him off. Then at the snap both LBs blitzed from the outside. It's 5am, so my mind is a little foggy on who the specific players were.

Phillip Thomas and Dy Davis -- was a strong side zone blitz where Goggins and probably the SAM drop off into coverage -- instead Thomas and the Davis blitzed.

Since nothing on the field looked any different than last week injury wise except for Gulley, I'd be more interested in knowing why Goggins was covering Sanu in the end zone on that TD pass.

If nothing else, that looked really funny on TV. I must have hit rewind and watched that again about 20 times.

If nothing else, that looked really funny on TV. I must have hit rewind and watched that again about 20 times.

They had line men in coverage on zone blitzes all day. He needs to get deeper in that drop. That play was doomed from the start.

Phillip Thomas and Dy Davis -- was a strong side zone blitz where Goggins and probably the SAM drop off into coverage -- instead Thomas and the Davis blitzed.

RU had trips to that side. Thomas wanted to cover Sanu and have Davis lined up over the 3rd WR. They were arguing for quite some time before the play. Spruill was on that side as well and blitzed along with Davis. We were out numbered no matter what.

This is why I am wondering why EVERYONE is so excited about not going for it on 4th in short in the first OT. It's not as if it is a given that our defense would have held Rutgers out of the endzone on their possession. The end of game situation where you are bringing the house on a zone bltiz with the ball at the 3 yard line is quite bizarre. I mean was there anyone else on that team they were going to attempt to get the ball to on that play? And we end up with our best interior lineman trying to guard him? Very curious.

As a whole, I thought SU got the benefit of most of the "iffy" calls during the game - excluding a drive killing "illegal man downfield" call in the 1st quarter (side judge in front of Marrone claimed Lemon was covering up Stevens [this is the pass to our FB that picked up 10+ to get to midfield] and he could not have been more wrong).

Speaking of generous calls... Does anyone know why the refs didn't overturn Nova's fumble when Moustacheavich had him? Nova clearly was in a throwing motion. Was it considered a lateral?

Between that gift and the phantom PF on the INT return we got all the breaks we needed to win. No one should complain about the officiating.

Speaking of generous calls... Does anyone know why the refs didn't overturn Nova's fumble when Moustacheavich had him? Nova clearly was in a throwing motion. Was it considered a lateral?

Between that gift and the phantom PF on the INT return we got all the breaks we needed to win. No one should complain about the officiating.

Was going backwards so it was a fumble and not a forward pass. The phantom PF wasn't phantom. It did happen 30 yards from the ball but it did happen. Stupid on the rutgers player part. Which reminds me, how dumb was Thomas's attempt to block the guy on Anderson's fumble return? We're lucky that didn't get called blocking in the back. It wasn't blocking in the back but the refs could have called it so why attempt something that wasn't needed?

Was going backwards so it was a fumble and not a forward pass. The phantom PF wasn't phantom. It did happen 30 yards from the ball but it did happen. Stupid on the rutgers player part. Which reminds me, how dumb was Thomas's attempt to block the guy on Anderson's fumble return? We're lucky that didn't get called blocking in the back. It wasn't blocking in the back but the refs could have called it so why attempt something that wasn't needed?

Got it, thanks. I thought the guys just got tangled up on the return PF, but I didn't see a full replay.

As a whole, I thought SU got the benefit of most of the "iffy" calls during the game - excluding a drive killing "illegal man downfield" call in the 1st quarter (side judge in front of Marrone claimed Lemon was covering up Stevens [this is the pass to our FB that picked up 10+ to get to midfield] and he could not have been more wrong).

That was an awful call. Lemon moved back two yards from the LOS when the TE came over. Worst call though was the blocked FG TD where Hay hit the RU guy and they got the penalty.

That was an awful call. Lemon moved back two yards from the LOS when the TE came over. Worst call though was the blocked FG TD where Hay hit the RU guy and they got the penalty.

Agreed. Bees seems to think it was a good call (and since he was at the game and seeing the whole field maybe he's right). But from the replay it looked like they came together got their feet tangled and both hit the turf. Didn't see anything worthy of a personal foul call.

We do a bad job covering slot receivers in Shafer's base defense. We never have a man on the guy - we are relying on the LB to play the angle to block the pass or make the play, but the LB also has run responsibilities. It's one thing about our secondary coverage that I'd like to see changed. You have to have a S on that guy in the slot. Maybe we need to play more nickel when the other team has athletic WRs and load up on us.

We do a bad job covering slot receivers in Shafer's base defense. We never have a man on the guy - we are relying on the LB to play the angle to block the pass or make the play, but the LB also has run responsibilities. It's one thing about our secondary coverage that I'd like to see changed. You have to have a S on that guy in the slot. Maybe we need to play more nickel when the other team has athletic WRs and load up on us.
I think they'd like to do that, but I think they feel better with the lb personnel than they do with whoever would be the nickel due to the injuries.

Normally they would have Shamarko and Fisher in there over Anene and Lynch.

Either way, it was either a fumble or intentional grounding. If they had ruled that he didn't fumble, then he was clearly throwing it just to avoid a sack. It would have been 4th down and a punt instead of a turnover. The worst call of the game came on the same drive before this play. The running into the kicker penalty was total BS. Clearly, the Syracuse player dove to block the punt and didn't touch the kicker. The kicker leaned towards him AFTER he kicked the ball and fell over the top of him. I watched the whole play from my seat on that end of the field. Instead of Syracuse having the ball on Rutger's side of the field, Rutgers kept the ball and had a first down.

There was some miscommunication at the line in the moments before that snap. A couple players were arguing about their assignment or gap responsibility. Ironically the noise may have been a factor - they either could not hear each other or were bickering.

There was some miscommunication at the line in the moments before that snap. A couple players were arguing about their assignment or gap responsibility. Ironically the noise may have been a factor - they either could not hear each other or were bickering.

Yeah, there was some confusion between Phil and Dyshawn. Not sure who blew the assignment.

Marrone stil has a lot to figure out. No doubt about that. I have not gone through the whole presser yet, but he needs to come out with the o bullshit: "We, as a Staff...screwed up this week. We own it and we owe the players and the fans one back." That's got to be the posture this week. If he wants to act like Bellicheck, he has to earn it.

44cuse
He basically did that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom