Notre Dame Game Preview (4/2/22, 2pm) | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game Preview (4/2/22, 2pm)

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I have to say Ivorytower has already written some really good posts regarding Notre Dame recently, so please check those out.

The Orange and Irish faceoff this weekend as the race to the tournament begins. Both these teams have four losses on their schedule and are in dire need of wins. Syracuse is riding a two game winning streak and Notre Dame comes in off a loss to highly ranked Virginia. Syracuse does not have a very good recent history with Notre Dame, they were beaten by a combined score of 40-19 last year in two games. Their last win against the Irish was back in 2018 (though they didn't play in 2020). That said Notre Dame looks vulnerable this year and the Orange are riding some momentum going into this game.

The Notre Dame offense seem to be struggling this season. They average 12 goals a game, but if you takeaway the Detroit Mercy game (24 goals) they are only averaging 10 per game. That is well below the 14 they were averaging last year. Pat Kavanaugh is still the party starter, but he's averaging one less point per game than he did last year (5.3 vs 4). Eric Dobson and his brother Chris are his main supporting cast as both average around 2.5 points per game, but they aren't getting much help after the top three. Wheaton Jackoboice is struggling this year with just eight points on the season and is coming off a 1-9 shooting performance against UVA. Last year he had 31 points, good for second on the team. But no one is doing any better than Jackoboice this year as he's the fourth leading scorer. Last year they were getting two points per game from their 4-6 leading scorers. I'm sure what the exact issues are for the Irish as they brought back everyone on offense minus Will Yorke (a finisher) and brought in a top recruit in Chris Kavanaugh. Brett Kennedy will surely get Pat Kavanaugh on assignment. Kavanaugh was a huge thorn in the side of the Orange last year as he scored 19 points in the two games. The Orange have to do much better against the stud Junior from Long Island. Kennedy has had a number of good games this year but Kavanaugh is a very different player from Brennan O'Neil or some of his other matchups. Nick Caccamo who has done a great job as the number two will most likely take the younger Kavanaugh. Caccamo has done a great job of picking off passes this year - he leads the team in Caused Turnovers with 14 in just seven games. Grant Murphy lead the team last year with 16 in 13 games. Murphy will likely guard the third attackman but I'm unsure who that will be. For most of the year it has been Griffin Westlin but he was replaced by Bryce Walker in the UVA game. The midfield has a lot of potential but they aren't getting much production outside of Dobson. I have to imagine he will get the poll. Olexo and Clary will have a very different assignment in front of them than they did last week as Dobson is a physical freak. Aviles, Rice and the other short sticks played really well last week, they'll have to continue that this weekend.

The big X factor in this game will be the face-off X. Jakob Phaup has had a very good year this year and ND has really been struggling. Unlike last year when they had two All American quality players at X, ND has seen about a 20% dip in their winning percentage (62% vs 43%). That said freshman Will Lynch is coming off his best performance of the year against Petey LaSalla (who Phaup struggled against), winning 15-20 draws. But he's still only at 47%. The face-off can just be weird sometimes so the Orange can't assume they'll have a huge possession advantage. Notre Dame also rides like crazy and clears the ball really well (90%, their opponents only do so at 76%).

Offensively the Orange will presumably let Tucker Dordevic and Brendan Curry shoot till their arms fall off. I'm sure Dordevic will draw Arden Cohen, who held Matt Moore of UVA to just 2 assists a week ago. Syracuse has been really good about Dordevic getting looks so I don't think their strategy will change just because of the defender he draws. The other storyline is that Notre Dame could be down a close defender and a starting LSM. If so, can Curry and Owen Seebold take advantage? Syracuse is also down two starting midfielders (and still without Owen HIltz of course) so they have plenty of injury issues of their own. In one of the threads I think a poster said Buttermore would move up to the first line, but he has only one assist on the season, I didn't hear Gait address it in the press conference, and Matteo Corsi replaced Griffin Cook in the Duke game. Corsi should do well on the 1's, he has speed and should be able to take advantage of short sticks. Buttermore still looks rusty but he caused a nice turnover on the ride against Duke. But I have no idea who takes the third spot on the second line, as both Tenaglia and Birtwiste seem to be struggling with injuries. Liam Entemman's save percentage is down from 58% to 53% this year but he's still a strong goalie. Notre Dame still has a very good defense, they have the #1 adjusted defensive efficiency ranking in the country. Syracuse will need to be smart with the ball and take good shots. They seemed to overwhelm their last two opponants with timely face-off wins and lots of possession, that should be the strategy here.

The bottom line is that ND has a lot of skill regardless of their results this season. They've lost to #1, #2, #3 and #12. There is no shame in that. But they have looked vulnerable is certain areas and Syracuse will need to exploit that. Like we've discussed in other threads, this game has huge implications for the tournament. Winning it certainly doesn't mean an automatic invite to the tournament, but losing it puts you way down the guest list.

I have to say Ivorytower has already written some really good posts regarding Notre Dame recently, so please check those out.

The Orange and Irish faceoff this weekend as the race to the tournament begins. Both these teams have four losses on their schedule and are in dire need of wins. Syracuse is riding a two game winning streak and Notre Dame comes in off a loss to highly ranked Virginia. Syracuse does not have a very good recent history with Notre Dame, they were beaten by a combined score of 40-19 last year in two games. Their last win against the Irish was back in 2018 (though they didn't play in 2020). That said Notre Dame looks vulnerable this year and the Orange are riding some momentum going into this game.

The Notre Dame offense seem to be struggling this season. They average 12 goals a game, but if you takeaway the Detroit Mercy game (24 goals) they are only averaging 10 per game. That is well below the 14 they were averaging last year. Pat Kavanaugh is still the party starter, but he's averaging one less point per game than he did last year (5.3 vs 4). Eric Dobson and his brother Chris are his main supporting cast as both average around 2.5 points per game, but they aren't getting much help after the top three. Wheaton Jackoboice is struggling this year with just eight points on the season and is coming off a 1-9 shooting performance against UVA. Last year he had 31 points, good for second on the team. But no one is doing any better than Jackoboice this year as he's the fourth leading scorer. Last year they were getting two points per game from their 4-6 leading scorers. I'm sure what the exact issues are for the Irish as they brought back everyone on offense minus Will Yorke (a finisher) and brought in a top recruit in Chris Kavanaugh. Brett Kennedy will surely get Pat Kavanaugh on assignment. Kavanaugh was a huge thorn in the side of the Orange last year as he scored 19 points in the two games. The Orange have to do much better against the stud Junior from Long Island. Kennedy has had a number of good games this year but Kavanaugh is a very different player from Brennan O'Neil or some of his other matchups. Nick Caccamo who has done a great job as the number two will most likely take the younger Kavanaugh. Caccamo has done a great job of picking off passes this year - he leads the team in Caused Turnovers with 14 in just seven games. Grant Murphy lead the team last year with 16 in 13 games. Murphy will likely guard the third attackman but I'm unsure who that will be. For most of the year it has been Griffin Westlin but he was replaced by Bryce Walker in the UVA game. The midfield has a lot of potential but they aren't getting much production outside of Dobson. I have to imagine he will get the poll. Olexo and Clary will have a very different assignment in front of them than they did last week as Dobson is a physical freak. Aviles, Rice and the other short sticks played really well last week, they'll have to continue that this weekend.

The big X factor in this game will be the face-off X. Jakob Phaup has had a very good year this year and ND has really been struggling. Unlike last year when they had two All American quality players at X, ND has seen about a 20% dip in their winning percentage (62% vs 43%). That said freshman Will Lynch is coming off his best performance of the year against Petey LaSalla (who Phaup struggled against), winning 15-20 draws. But he's still only at 47%. The face-off can just be weird sometimes so the Orange can't assume they'll have a huge possession advantage. Notre Dame also rides like crazy and clears the ball really well (90%, their opponents only do so at 76%).

Offensively the Orange will presumably let Tucker Dordevic and Brendan Curry shoot till their arms fall off. I'm sure Dordevic will draw Arden Cohen, who held Matt Moore of UVA to just 2 assists a week ago. Syracuse has been really good about Dordevic getting looks so I don't think their strategy will change just because of the defender he draws. The other storyline is that Notre Dame could be down a close defender and a starting LSM. If so, can Curry and Owen Seebold take advantage? Syracuse is also down two starting midfielders (and still without Owen HIltz of course) so they have plenty of injury issues of their own. In one of the threads I think a poster said Buttermore would move up to the first line, but he has only one assist on the season, I didn't hear Gait address it in the press conference, and Matteo Corsi replaced Griffin Cook in the Duke game. Corsi should do well on the 1's, he has speed and should be able to take advantage of short sticks. Buttermore still looks rusty but he caused a nice turnover on the ride against Duke. But I have no idea who takes the third spot on the second line, as both Tenaglia and Birtwiste seem to be struggling with injuries. Liam Entemman's save percentage is down from 58% to 53% this year but he's still a strong goalie. Notre Dame still has a very good defense, they have the #1 adjusted defensive efficiency ranking in the country. Syracuse will need to be smart with the ball and take good shots. They seemed to overwhelm their last two opponants with timely face-off wins and lots of possession, that should be the strategy here.

The bottom line is that ND has a lot of skill regardless of their results this season. They've lost to #1, #2, #3 and #12. There is no shame in that. But they have looked vulnerable is certain areas and Syracuse will need to exploit that. Like we've discussed in other threads, this game has huge implications for the tournament. Winning it certainly doesn't mean an automatic invite to the tournament, but losing it puts you way down the guest list.
well done

I would like to think we are due to play a good game against ND. As those of you know who saw the past few games against ND, Cuse simply could not have played much worse in last year's losses to ND and also played a horrific 1st half in ND in 2019. I think this one should be close given the loss of the elite transfers ND had last year. As noted above, this is a big game for both teams so ND will be pumped up at home.
I don't know if Gait is doing much in terms of outdoor practices, but I don't think Cuse has been as comfortable outdoors over the past few seasons.

ND dominated us twice last year so one would think they'd be confident facing us at home but different faceoff dynamics and cuse it their stride last week despite th

having many missing. Expect ND to be favored by 3 , their record belies their talent. Emotions and motivation play a big part , expect ND to come out strong., All siixty minutes matter but see matching 1q intensity and 4q endurance as well as goalie play being keys this week.

Back when Maryland played Notre Dame, Maryland put the LSM on Jackobice and let Puglise push and shove with Dobson. I think OSU did the same, putting their LSM on Jackobice and an ssdm on Dobson. So Jackobice has seen a lot of Long Poles.
One thing you can consider doing is putting long poles on both Dobson and Jackobice, and taking you chance with the 3rd attackman. It seems unlikely that Syracuse would do that given that Jackobice hasn't scored much this year.

ND stinks. Cuse can and should win this game. Please beat them, I'm sick of seeing a 2-4 team in the rankings. Especially one whose only wins are an atrocious Detroit Mercy team and the Michigan win which looks less impressive every week. Even Hopkins fell out of the top 20 when they had a losing record and have yet to climb back in. Yes ND's schedule is tough but at some point you have to win your games. Long story short I think they finally fall out if they go 2-5, that'd be hard to justify keeping them in at that point but I'm sure the brainiacs at IL would find a way.

ND stinks. Cuse can and should win this game. Please beat them, I'm sick of seeing a 2-4 team in the rankings. Especially one whose only wins are an atrocious Detroit Mercy team and the Michigan win which looks less impressive every week. Even Hopkins fell out of the top 20 when they had a losing record and have yet to climb back in. Yes ND's schedule is tough but at some point you have to win your games. Long story short I think they finally fall out if they go 2-5, that'd be hard to justify keeping them in at that point but I'm sure the brainiacs at IL would find a way.
Hard for me to use the word "stink" when they played MD to within 2 despite a 25% day at the face off x. They have the highest defensive efficiency in the country, despite playing 3 of the top 4 teams. It is true that they need to start winning, but if they went on a run it would not surprise me at all.

Gait sure gives off the impression that he's happier with the play and practice of the team. Given ND's relatively strong D on paper anyway, I think Cuse's D will tell the story in this game. If they play well, Gavin or Thompson will benefit and gain more confidence. Cuse D was impressive against Duke regardless of Duke's struggles.

I will never forget Desko's comments in previous years about how well prepared ND was defensively. It begged the question - why can't Cuse replicate the ND D??? :cool:

So after winning against Duke do we feel better about the rest of the season, or is Duke not the team they were thought to be, or is cuse figuring it out at the right time.
If this game was in the dome, I’d def feel better so I’m hoping we come out ready for a fight, cause that’s what we’re in for.

So after winning against Duke do we feel better about the rest of the season, or is Duke not the team they were thought to be, or is cuse figuring it out at the right time.
If this game was in the dome, I’d def feel better so I’m hoping we come out ready for a fight, cause that’s what we’re in for.

It's a combination of both. The Defense is coming along and is showign a lot of promise even with several guys out or not at 100%. Offense is still a work in progress, elite level teams will not allow Dordevic to beat them for 6+ points, other guys will have to step up. If a certain player was ready to return now I'd give it serious though because the offense needs another elite level threat but he's not so its up to the young guys and guys who have unfortunately been hurt.

Much more confident in the D than the O at present. Aviles and Rice are becoming a really solid starting ssdm duo, Clary is back and looks fantastic even with the knee brace. Olexo has really impressed. Kennedy looks better every game on close D. Caccamo same thing, better every game and often shuts down his man entirely. Sean Lulley is no slouch and had nothing off the dodge after one goal early. He puts the ball on the ground better than anyone on this team.

O was doing a really nice job of getting open looks against Duke, but it is hard to get too excited as we tend to completely pick apart their D in recent years. ND will not get beat 1v1 as easily and will be more disciplined in sliding and preventing guys off ball from getting open. Really wish we could get Quinn back for this one but that seems unlikely. He is both a great outside shooter and great at getting open off ball. Cook is out, Buttermore still slower due to recovering, Birtwhistle and Tenaglia have been playing zero minutes most likely due to injury, so it is a tough task in front of them. I think transition/risk taking should be on the menu, and hope the D makes up for any failed attempts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom