Notre Dame Game... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame Game...

I hate to rip players, but the defense was terrible on a couple of fast breaks. I think it happened twice where the ND point man caught the ball right handed and was able to switch to his natural left hand and still have time to plant his feet and score. That should never happen. I thought Kavanaugh was outstanding and his passes were incredible. There nothing you can do on a lot of those assisted goals, but there were way too many times that ND was able to set their feet and rip shots.

Agree with this. Just seems mental with the defense more than anything. They simultaneously are way too timid, don’t throw checks, don’t get their stick on opponent’s hands, don’t slide aggressively enough, AND get overly aggressive when things don’t go their way which leads to penalties and mismatches.

With respect, I don't think is remotely helpful for anyone. These are college kids who have been in lockdown and just lost a heartbreaker to Duke. The pressure on this team is enormous.
They have the rest of the season to figure things out and step up. Post-mortems should be saved for the end of the season. The coaches must bear some responsibility for this - how much who knows.
The problem is, if they don't figure it out soon, there isn't going to be a post-season. No chance to steal the AQ via ACCT this year.

The faceoff situation needs to be fixed before the team can think about beating upper tier teams. Unfortunately, that’s not likely to happen this year. Phaup hasn’t adjusted to the faceoff rule, Varello continues to struggle, and Savage is young and learning. Like his potential, but we can’t expect him to become elite this year. It’s very possible SU could land a 10-11 seed and face, say, Virginia on the road in the first round.

The problem is, if they don't figure it out soon, there isn't going to be a post-season. No chance to steal the AQ via ACCT this year.

The ACC doesn't have an AQ. Hasn't had one in years.

Need 6 teams.

The faceoff situation needs to be fixed before the team can think about beating upper tier teams. Unfortunately, that’s not likely to happen this year. Phaup hasn’t adjusted to the faceoff rule, Varello continues to struggle, and Savage is young and learning. Like his potential, but we can’t expect him to become elite this year. It’s very possible SU could land a 10-11 seed and face, say, Virginia on the road in the first round.
On the bright side (?!), Savage has gained some big time experience today against Gallagher which he wouldn't have if we had won. Having seen Duke's Naso, you never know what a frosh can do.

The ACC doesn't have an AQ. Hasn't had one in years.

Need 6 teams.
Correct. Forgot about that. But the point remains the same, in that all you have is a regular season to prove your worth.

Not going to be able to back check a player the caliber of Kavanaugh, head cant be towards back , allows his right-hand to be free. Stick checking wont bother on dodges, needs to be bodied. He'll be played differently in rematch.

Doubt outside instruction allowed on premise but could fogos visit independent facilty to work with expert on new faceoffs ie Guerilan. Doesn't Donahue own a local place? Dont believe that Phaup cant be rebooted. Savage did as well as could be expected vs Gallagher .

Face-offs are huge. Just look at the Lehigh Army game today. Lehigh won 23 of 27 to beat Army 13-12. Army's goalie Schupler was 46% and he's a good goalie.

Correct. Forgot about that. But the point remains the same, in that all you have is a regular season to prove your worth.

We still have to play UNC, Virginia again and ND again.

We'll have proved our worth by the end of the season.

Or proved we're not worthy.

We still have to play UNC, Virginia again and ND again.

We'll have proved our worth by the end of the season.

Or proved we're not worthy.
Do we make the tourney at 6-6?

Face-offs are huge. Just look at the Lehigh Army game today. Lehigh won 23 of 27 to beat Army 13-12. Army's goalie Schupler was 46% and he's a good goalie.
Fogos are the reason why I picked Lehigh, Denver and ND vs line as presently the 3 best fogos in game.

As far as our wing play, suggest rewatching game and looking at results of the few scrums where wings were able to be involved.

We need at least one more ACC win. Two would be better.

And no speed bumps against Scooby and Utah.
Thanks. In other words, I can make other plans for May.

Agree with this. Just seems mental with the defense more than anything. They simultaneously are way too timid, don’t throw checks, don’t get their stick on opponent’s hands, don’t slide aggressively enough, AND get overly aggressive when things don’t go their way which leads to penalties and mismatches.
Replacing Mellen was always going to be big shoes to fill. When he wasn't injured, he would basically neutralize his 1-on-1 matchup against the opponent's best attackman. We are playing more zone than I have seen in recent memory.

Although he transferred and is injured, we also miss Fernandez at LSM whose wing play, ground balls and aggressiveness was quite impressive despite being undersized. I take it Clary is out for rest of season; regardless he's been out for a bit which hurts our depth as Barlow has switched back to LSM. I assume Wyckoff and Di Pietro will be gone next season so that is 2 out of 3 starters gone so even more new faces on defense next season.

I refuse to be prisoner-of-the-moment and say we will go 4-1 in the final 5 games of regular season.

I remember the mood around here when we lost to Army, but came back to put it on Virginia. Have faith.

Replacing Mellen was always going to be big shoes to fill. When he wasn't injured, he would basically neutralize his 1-on-1 matchup against the opponent's best attackman. We are playing more zone than I have seen in recent memory.

Although he transferred and is injured, we also miss Fernandez at LSM whose wing play, ground balls and aggressiveness was quite impressive despite being undersized. I take it Clary is out for rest of season; regardless he's been out for a bit which hurts our depth as Barlow has switched back to LSM. I assume Wyckoff and Di Pietro will be gone next season so that is 2 out of 3 starters gone so even more new faces on defense next season.

DiPietro can come back next year if he wants. He missed 2019 due to injury, and 2020 doesn't count.

Mellen was great but remember he barely played in the shortened season last year and they made due. I agree with other posters, individually the talent is there defensively but there are times when communication looks really bad and when teams really start moving the ball the defense can struggle. They followed up that bad Army performance with a really strong showing against VA so we'll see.

Outside of crushing the defense today does anyone else want the lacrosse media to stop declaring our 1st midfield the best in the country?

Someone else made this point, but the thing about Phaup is he’s all or nothing. He’ll either dominate, or get dominated. I feel pretty confident he’ll do well this Thursday against Albany, people will say he’s back, and then he’ll have another meltdown against UNC. Has to be really frustrating for a coach.

I think the best they can do is pull him early if he looks like he’s struggling (and he’s made it pretty obvious these past two games) and go down the line from there. It’s frustrating, with these elite guys, you expect/hope they go .500 against each other. I just don’t understand why Phaup struggles SO much when he’s having an off day. And how can we explain the amazing job against UVA?

Savage got thrown into a tough situation and credit to him for battling. He had some nice moments, but the position doesn’t award “moments”. I think I would go to him over Varello going forward.

This team will fire on all cylinders going forward motivation hhh mark my words dooms day people.

As for the state of the program, this is the worst regular season that I can remember. Even during the Panarelli swan 2007 season, I don’t recall this many blow outs. It is getting old. Really want them to figure it out. I am a Desko guy but losses like this one today are impossible to defend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom