Notre Dame: Polish is Tarnishing a bit: Rick Reilly from ESPN | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame: Polish is Tarnishing a bit: Rick Reilly from ESPN

I'll bite what it that?

Disputed game between SU and ND. Refs incorrectly ruled that time had not expired. Although it clearly had.

SU's Walt Sweeney leveled the ND kicker on a FG attempt after the final whistle had sounded. Rules at that time were that the game was over because the penalty occurred after time expired. Instead refs allowed ND to kick again from 15 yds closer. They made it and say they won the game. SU asked ND to give the win to SU. ND refused. The two teams didn't play one another for 40 years.

It's a piece of SU history that all fans should be required to know.

Crap how could I forget - it really is 41 years? Ernie's Heisman year. RIP

If you are a college football fan, that article should be required reading. I hate that they seem to think that they are above being in a conference but i applaud their right not to be. Hey they keep stealing TV dollars that the networks are only too happy to fork over to them. Makes no sense but it is what it is. I will be castigated by many for making this statement but again...there is no conference affiliation deal for football for any major conference that is of any benefit without them bringing their football team. It is a lopsided deal at best. BE's have defended our deal for eons...how'd that work out for ya? We made or brought back to power scads of their other sports for...? Looking back would you supporters opt to do it again? Now that we are in the ACC do you want the ACC to make such a deal? Fool me once......fool me twice and I'm just a stupid...that deserves it!

One writer is hardly a movement. As long as ND has the market power it does, things won't be equal or fair. That's the way it is.

Well, that's the way it WAS.

If only NBC agreed with him...and ESPN (ABC) as they move to the front of the line to televise every ND away game.

They're not going away. And even though their coach loves screaming at his QBs with a whiny looking face, he also knows how to coach, especially on offense. Took them a few tries, but they will have gotten this one right.

Sorry world, but at least we're guaranteed some good payouts and exposure for an upcoming 4 year period.
Interesting take, Chip. But repeating that ND's getting a handout won't convince anyone that it deserves 4 more years of it. The school's been feeding off its glory days for far too long. It should be giving the 1.3M in bowl revenue it took in (for NOT going to a bowl) to charity.

While it's easy to say that the BCS should not give ND $1.3m if they don't play in a BCS bowl, the same could be said for some recent BE representatives. Was Yukon really BCS worthy? Really?

While it's easy to say that the BCS should not give ND $1.3m if they don't play in a BCS bowl, the same could be said for some recent BE representatives. Was Yukon really BCS worthy? Really?
You could make that argument about lots of 'bowl' teams every year. Don't get me wrong, I dislike UConn, but at least they actually played in the bowl game, rather than just picking up a corporate welfare check!

You could make that argument about lots of 'bowl' teams every year. Don't get me wrong, I dislike UConn, but at least they actually played in the bowl game, rather than just picking up a corporate welfare check!
All BCS member schools get a welfare check. I'm sure Syracuse got some BCS $. ND's share is likely to be larger than any other school, however.

All BCS member schools get a welfare check. I'm sure Syracuse got some BCS $. ND's share is likely to be larger than any other school, however.

I think all schools get a BCS participation check -- but ND's 1.3 million is more like a bowl payoff -- whether they go to a bowl or not. Not to mention that they have their own, separate TV contract. I know they're popular with the Dome crowd, but it's beyond the pale.

And why are they the ONLY BCS school to get a seat in the boardroom?

And why are they the ONLY BCS school to get a seat in the boardroom?
Because they're the only BCS school not in a conference.

All the BCS mafia has to do is require conference membership to be eligible for a spot in the playoffs. The BCS mafia either likes the current setup or doesn't have the stones to address the issue.

ND's got a good thing going, and they know it. They're going to milk it as long as they can. They'd be foolish not to.

Because they're the only BCS school not in a conference.

All the BCS mafia has to do is require conference membership to be eligible for a spot in the playoffs. The BCS mafia either likes the current setup or doesn't have the stones to address the issue.

ND's got a good thing going, and they know it. They're going to milk it as long as they can. They'd be foolish not to.
I see, so if the BE brakes up, any teams that don't align with another conference will be offered a seat at the BCS table? lol. I dont think so. It's pretty hard to make a case that ND actually deserves all the special treatment its getting ... although as you point out, the BCS is not a community charity either.