Notre Dame violated NCAA recruiting contact rules | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Notre Dame violated NCAA recruiting contact rules

Typical light weight penalties for an NCAA favored program; why do they bother!
Hypocrisy, once again on display.

Well, those are the penalties for Notre Dame. Let Syracuse try that and see what happens...
Didn't Florida and A&M get the same penalties for the same thing?

Didn't Florida and A&M get the same penalties for the same thing?
The NCAA definitely has its "favorite son" programs. Notre Dame is one, Florida is another (UNC is also). Syracuse isn't one (neither is Virginia Tech). I never thought of A&M as one, but maybe they have connections I didn't know about?

My take: if the Irish get preferential treatment, accept the gift, say "Thank you", and keep going... but don't pretend that the system is fair, because it isn't. Best wishes, Terry - and again, congratulations on a very successful 2020 football season!

The system
The NCAA definitely has its "favorite son" programs. Notre Dame is one, Florida is another (UNC is also). Syracuse isn't one (neither is Virginia Tech). I never thought of A&M as one, but maybe they have connections I didn't know about?

My take: if the Irish get preferential treatment, accept the gift, say "Thank you", and keep going... but don't pretend that the system is fair, because it isn't. Best wishes, Terry - and again, congratulations on a very successful 2020 football season!
The system isn't fair when ND self reports a tutor writing a paper for athletes, cooperates with the NCAA, then gets hit with penalties like vacating wins and scholarship reductions or gets penalties for taking a photo with a kid, while places like Auburn and LSU pay over $100,000 to $200,000 for players and everyone winks about it and North Carolina has phony classes for athletes.

Who are the "favorite sons", again?

Thanks for the best wishes.

Last edited:
The system

The system isn't fair when ND self reports a tutor writing a paper for athletes, cooperates with the NCAA, then gets hit with penalties like vacating wins and scholarship reductions or gets penalties for taking a photo with a kid, while places like Auburn and LSU pay over $100,000 to $200,000 for players and everyone winks about it and North Carolina has phony classes for athletes.

Good points, Terry. Evidently, ND isn't cheating hard enough...?

Full disclosure: I'll actually root for Notre Dame when the Irish play USC or other non-ACC team, but there is a hierarchy to my rooting interests (VT on top, naturally). LSU is near the bottom of that hierarchy.

The system

So you are saying one shouldn't self report? Interesting.

Good points, Terry. Evidently, ND isn't cheating hard enough...?

Full disclosure: I'll actually root for Notre Dame when the Irish play USC or other non-ACC team, but there is a hierarchy to my rooting interests (VT on top, naturally). LSU is near the bottom of that hierarchy.
I can’t honestly imagine a scenario where I root for ND. Even if they were playing PSU I would be rooting for a giant meteor or an earthquake.

Guys, take it easy. The penalties seem reasonable. It’s not like their coach killed a kid or something.

That’s not even a slap on the wrist, that’s tickling with the comfy pillow. ( For you MP and the flyin circus fans )

Meh they'll be told they have to give five Hail Marys and work bingo night at the local church for two weeks as punishment.