Now entering sports purgatory... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now entering sports purgatory...

I have always been a big golf fan, but it has expanded in recent year. I suspect it is because it lacks some compeition in summer months. (other than golfing outside myself)

Major Golf Tournaments in April, May, June and July. (plus strong field events in August)

Hockey playoffs (Go Isles)
Masters
Golf Golf Golf Golf Golf Golf Golf. And more Golf
Yankees Baseball
Warm weather
Vacations

I disagree kid!

Where the heck have you been? Dropping in here once per year like Will Smith's Dad on Fresh Prince. We need more Marsh.

Nothing to watch / enjoy?

SU Lacrosse and College lacrosse, in general, including the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.
DMV Private school lacrosse.
Baseball (thousands of MLB games plus College World Series)
UEFA and Premiere League Soccer

And for me in August, Hurling and Gaelic Football. Hurling is a great sport to watch.

NL East baseball, Cuse lax, kid lax, Masters, US Open, and jeez get outside and do healthy stuff!

Always sad to see the college basketball season come to an end, as the summer months suck from a sports perspective. I do enjoy SU lax [which only goes through - hopefully - end of May], casually enjoy baseball, and like [don't love] the NBA -- but none of those hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

When the season ends each year, it's like entering the most boring four month span for sports for me.

4 months until college football...
This is exactly how I feel

I love sitting at home watching baseball. Laugh if you will, I even enjoy listening more.

There's something of a cultural "insider angle" when it comes to listening to baseball on the radio. You either get it or you don't. The old stereotype about listening to baseball in the car out on the driveway comes from actual practice. I used to do it with my dad. It requires some imagination to enjoy the experience, and that's a good thing. It's sort of like the difference between reading a book and watching the movie. Viva imagination.

I get so tired of caring so much who wins over the 6 month course of what I call "the SU season", (football and basketball) that I welcome a period when I can just watch sporting events and enjoy them as events, as if I were watching a movie. I don't care who wins the Masters, the Kentucky Derby, the Indy 500, but I'll watch them and have fun doing it anyway. I like baseball but the team with "Syracuse" on them is a minor league team and the big Mets are in New York. And each game is 1/144th or 1/162nd of the season. You don't have time to mourn losses because there's another game the next night. I like that. I'll be ready to get pumped up again in the fall but for now I want to relax and enjoy the nice weather. I couldn't take a 12 month grind of living and dying with the team.

There's something of a cultural "insider angle" when it comes to listening to baseball on the radio. You either get it or you don't. The old stereotype about listening to baseball in the car out on the driveway comes from actual practice. I used to do it with my dad. It requires some imagination to enjoy the experience, and that's a good thing. It's sort of like the difference between reading a book and watching the movie. Viva imagination.

I'm amazed that a local radio station decided that this was the year to stop broadcasting Mets games- just as the Syracuse Chiefs became the Syracuse Mets.

So true.

Spent some time living in Cleveland during grad school. One summer afternoon, I was painting a new apartment I moved to and had the radio on. I'd gone to Indians games, but wasn't a fan of the team -- but I just had the radio on as a time waster.

Their broadcaster [Tom Hamilton] was unbelievable, and made it fun to listen even though I wasn't in the stadium. And that afternoon, it suddenly clicked for me why some folks enjoy listening to baseball on the radio. But the announcer has to be great.

Always sad to see the college basketball season come to an end, as the summer months suck from a sports perspective. I do enjoy SU lax [which only goes through - hopefully - end of May], casually enjoy baseball, and like [don't love] the NBA -- but none of those hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

When the season ends each year, it's like entering the most boring four month span for sports for me.

Syracuse Lacrosse is your friend for the next month or so. There is a hardcore group of us over on the lax board and with the rule changes this year in D1 sport is better then ever.

I'm amazed that a local radio station decided that this was the year to stop broadcasting Mets games- just as the Syracuse Chiefs became the Syracuse Mets.
I agree. I pay $2.99 a month on mlb at bat to have audio access to all the games. Definitely worth it for me.

So true.

Spent some time living in Cleveland during grad school. One summer afternoon, I was painting a new apartment I moved to and had the radio on. I'd gone to Indians games, but wasn't a fan of the team -- but I just had the radio on as a time waster.

Their broadcaster [Tom Hamilton] was unbelievable, and made it fun to listen even though I wasn't in the stadium. And that afternoon, it suddenly clicked for me why some folks enjoy listening to baseball on the radio. But the announcer has to be great.

Working with your dad on something in the garage while listening to a ball game on a hot summer day is life

Final 3 rounds of the supercross series are over the next 4 weekends so I’ll be watching that. Been one of the most entertaining and closest points race in 30 years. Then two weeks after that finishes the real racing starts, 12 rounds of AMA motocross. One of the most grueling sports out there.

Working with your dad on something in the garage while listening to a ball game on a hot summer day is life

Or washing the car in the same driveway where you were shoveling snow a while back - while listening to a ballgame on the radio.

I worked the summer of ‘96 at a company my dad managed; he and I would be working from 7-9PM after everyone else was gone, listening to Yankees games on the radio. At the time I was in a hurry to move on and get my own career started...looking back that summer, it was really enjoyable.

I don't think golf sucks, especially the majors and a few other big events.

One of the great things about golf - as opposed to other sports such as football and basketball - is that primarily there's no referee/official/judge that can determine the outcome by how they interpret what they saw.

1554950367687.gif

It sucks that this isn't a word cup or euro year also.

I feel like time goes by so quickly these days I actually enjoy the summers off of sports. Baseball is the perfect summer sport in my opinion because you can kick back and not really pay attention but still follow in the background.

My summer schedule:
NBA playoffs until June
NFL draft
NBA draft
Gold Cup (soccer)
NBA summer league
Euro-soccer preseason
Euro-soccer kick off in early August
College kicks off
NFL kicks off
Baseball throughout