Now entering sports purgatory... | Syracusefan.com

Now entering sports purgatory...

RF2044

Living Legend
Always sad to see the college basketball season come to an end, as the summer months suck from a sports perspective. I do enjoy SU lax [which only goes through - hopefully - end of May], casually enjoy baseball, and like [don't love] the NBA -- but none of those hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

When the season ends each year, it's like entering the most boring four month span for sports for me.

4 months until college football...

Dude.

stevenstamkos_tampabaylightning.jpg

I can't watch NBA. Okay, some of the finals.

I feel strongly the way to go for the NHL/NBA playoffs is hockey for the first two rounds (where you don't know who is going to win every series) and hoops for the last two (where it's not decided by random bounces). But ya it's all pretty casual till football arrives.

I'd rather watch paint dry than hockey, but I do enjoy baseball especially now that my Braves have gotten their act together. But baseball isn't a sport that you HAVE to see every game, and I can't see every Braves game anyway living in Kansas City. But I don't mind a few months off from diehard sports fandom so I can explore my other interests - catch up on reading books and magazines, spend more time with family and friends

For me it begins once the NFL Draft and NBA Playoffs are over. I still have those two events to look forward to. Mid-June through Mid-August...thank goodness it's nice out is all I can say.

I'd rather watch paint dry than hockey, but I do enjoy baseball especially now that my Braves have gotten their act together. But baseball isn't a sport that you HAVE to see every game, and I can't see every Braves game anyway living in Kansas City. But I don't mind a few months off from diehard sports fandom so I can explore my other interests - catch up on reading books and magazines, spend more time with family and friends

I’m amazed at how many Braves fans I run into in roughly their early 30s nationally. The Braves having their games on WTBS in the 90s really cultivated a big following (I think).

Summer is pretty much a time to be outside, although going to a baseball game with the kids is a fun occasional diversion. I’ll usually hit a NASCAR race with friends at some point in summer - but that’s another sport I’m a casual fan of. Won’t watch on TV often, but like the race day atmosphere.

At this point, if I’m daydreaming about sports, it’s for the start of the Syracuse football season, a trip to Maryland, and what I expect will be a crazy environment for Clemson.

Last edited:
To each their own, but I love having the Masters the weekend after the Final 4. Probably my favorite sporting event to watch outside of a big 'Cuse bball game. The next few months should be awesome for golf fans w/ the PGA now in May.

Beginning of my Red Sox’ season, the Formula 1 season is just underway, NBA playoffs coming... I’m happy, Pappy.

I hate that lacrosse regular season ends so soon. It should really just be starting up and June should be the tournament not May. NCAA Lax beginning first weekend in February when noone is thinking about it is just dumb and why it doesn't draw bigger crowds its over before its warm. Tons of schools are adding programs and the sport is ready to solidify itself as #3 after hoops and football noone cares about college baseball (which doesn't end stupidly early coincidentally.)

Baseball is cool in person. Sitting down at home to watch a whole baseball game is the most insane thing I could ever imagine doing.

Then again, I got bored while playing baseball. Played it from kindergarten to 9th grade. Wasn't bad either but consistently turned down the high school baseball coaches because I could not fathom subjecting myself to anymore of baseball's nonsense.

Might've broke my dad's heart lol but it had to be done.

To each their own, but I love having the Masters the weekend after the Final 4. Probably my favorite sporting event to watch outside of a big 'Cuse bball game. The next few months should be awesome for golf fans w/ the PGA now in May.

Golf is dope

Baseball is cool in person. Sitting down at home to watch a whole baseball game is the most insane thing I could ever imagine doing.

Then again, I got bored while playing baseball. Played it from kindergarten to 9th grade. Wasn't bad either but consistently turned down the high school baseball coaches because I could not fathom subjecting myself to anymore of baseball's nonsense.

I think baseball is benefiting from having excellent recent post seasons. You can pay attention to baskets/hockey playoffs then just baseball and then you have football kicking off with the playoffs starting.

I love the NBA playoffs, and it will be nice this year that the Warriors will probably have to go on the road in the Finals for the first time with this group.

I force myself not to start obsessing over college football season until after July 4th is over. That's when Phil Steele becomes my Bible.

I equate attending a baseball game with attending an outdoor happy hour. It's something to do on a summer day. You sit outside and have a few beers and talk to the person next to you, and every 10 minutes or so when something interesting happens in the game you acknowledge it and say "hey look at that", and then go back to your conversation.

Draft is coming up soon nba and nhl playoffs also. If your in ny both the mets and Yankees have good teams.

Plus all the courses are opening in the next week or so. Don't need tv whem it's light out later.

No soccer guys making an appearance yet. Champions League at the Quarterfinal stage.

No soccer guys making an appearance yet. Champions League at the Quarterfinal stage.

I'm coming in hot right now!

MLS
Champions League
The EPL race is great
Plus you have college lacrosse, baseball (only in person for me -- not a big fan of it on TV), golf (at least the majors, but I'm not an every weekend watcher) NBA Playoffs, NHL Playoffs, and of course watching the submarine races at the beach.

Always sad to see the college basketball season come to an end, as the summer months suck from a sports perspective. I do enjoy SU lax [which only goes through - hopefully - end of May], casually enjoy baseball, and like [don't love] the NBA -- but none of those hold a candle to how much I enjoy college basketball.

When the season ends each year, it's like entering the most boring four month span for sports for me.

4 months until college football...
Cheer up, RF! (I believe you are 20 years younger than me, approximately, and don’t ask me why I think that.) The older you get, the better you learn to enjoy EVERY season! I used to wish the 7 months away from April to November, but now I have trained myself to relish every month. I turn 69 next week and I can honestly say that every day becomes precious at my age.

But like I said, I had to TRAIN myself. It helps to be retired and to be able to travel a lot, which I enjoy. I don’t have the daily grind of work that I want to escape from.

But I greatly appreciate what you wrote. I felt like that for a couple decades, but now I have a new perspective on life. Ha!