Now that it's public knowledge, it's Audition week | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Now that it's public knowledge, it's Audition week

Did anybody notice how important it was to Rutgers to have a WR who has the ability to just go up and get it?

How many times did the Rutgers QB simply throw the ball up for grabs last week?

Right now, Nassib does not have that luxury and that hurts.

6'3 Kyle Foster.

Are problem is we dont have a true running back and we dont have a 1 wr. Baily is not a starting everydown back never was never will be. Chew and Lemmon are 2nd and 3rd recievers on any other team. What we have are kids at key O positions that just are not that talented. Good players sure but everydown back no put fear in the secondary WR no. Give me the kid from Toledo Wake USC or Rutgers and anyone of their starting TB and lets see how this O would perform. It is a talent problem guys lets hope that AAM steps up and one of the young kids steps up at WR

Are problem is we dont have a true running back and we dont have a 1 wr. Baily is not a starting everydown back never was never will be. Chew and Lemmon are 2nd and 3rd recievers on any other team. What we have are kids at key O positions that just are not that talented. Good players sure but everydown back no put fear in the secondary WR no. Give me the kid from Toledo Wake USC or Rutgers and anyone of their starting TB and lets see how this O would perform. It is a talent problem guys lets hope that AAM steps up and one of the young kids steps up at WR

Yep, that is the best case scenario. the rest is chasing rainbows. The fact is none of us know what any of these kids will do come game time, hopefully some great things

Did anybody notice how important it was to Rutgers to have a WR who has the ability to just go up and get it?

How many times did the Rutgers QB simply throw the ball up for grabs last week?

Right now, Nassib does not have that luxury and that hurts.

To me, Rutgers threw those jump balls out of desperation, because they know how limited their QBs are, not to mention I'm sure they noticed that all our DBs were wearing Iron Mike Sharpe casts on their forearm. I'm sure that isn't Cignetti's vision for the offense. Cignetti had big physical WRs at Pitt last year, and they weren't throwing jump balls (probably should have though because Sunseri isn't good either).

We may not have the physical, outjump them type WRs, but is there any WR that can track down a deep ball like Chew? Make use of that.

I think we just have to mix things up more. We don't keep a defense off balance, I think we make it easier on them. We have much more in the offense than we show (per Marrone), and while we may not have super talent, we have a ton of experience. So we should use that to our advantage.

bailey fumbled his first carry. is that because he's not an everydown back?

against AQ schools, bailey has 95 ypg, 1.0 td/game, 4.83 per carry

carter last year 90.5 ypg, 5.14 ypc, 0.4 td/game

i'm not convinced that the fumbling stops him from being an every down back

His yardage is not indicitive of being an everydown back. Ant has had a few long runs that are great but he isnt big enough to carry the load each down. good change of pace back yes great catching the ball you bet but not a 25 carry a game back

To me, Rutgers threw those jump balls out of desperation, because they know how limited their QBs are, not to mention I'm sure they noticed that all our DBs were wearing Iron Mike Sharpe casts on their forearm. I'm sure that isn't Cignetti's vision for the offense. Cignetti had big physical WRs at Pitt last year, and they weren't throwing jump balls (probably should have though because Sunseri isn't good either).

We may not have the physical, outjump them type WRs, but is there any WR that can track down a deep ball like Chew? Make use of that.

I think we just have to mix things up more. We don't keep a defense off balance, I think we make it easier on them. We have much more in the offense than we show (per Marrone), and while we may not have super talent, we have a ton of experience. So we should use that to our advantage.

I do not agree that this is a matter of playcalling. Read the article. The lack of physical dominance at the WR position limited what we could do - we could not call go routes and Rutgers was easily jumping on our slants and out patterns. Not mixing it up was not the problem.

I don't know if the Rutgers strategy was out of desperation, but it was an effort to take advantage of superior athletes.

I seem to recall Pitt throwing balls in the air and taking advantage of the physical dominance of their receivers last year. I recall being so impressed by the size of the Pitt WRs.

The fact is that Ryan does not have the luxury of throwing the ball up for grabs.

His yardage is not indicitive of being an everydown back. Ant has had a few long runs that are great but he isnt big enough to carry the load each down. good change of pace back yes great catching the ball you bet but not a 25 carry a game back

Nobody is a 25 carry a game back though. Not D Brown, not Kyle McIntosh, not James Mungro, not Walter Reyers, not Damien Rhodes.

Nobody is a 25 carry a game back though. Not D Brown, not Kyle McIntosh, not James Mungro, not Walter Reyers, not Damien Rhodes.
everyone gets on bailey for the other guys not being able to share the load. we'll see if an overweight freshman is the guy, he's the new mungro (freshman that people fall in love with before seeing anything)

I do not agree that this is a matter of playcalling. Read the article. The lack of physical dominance at the WR position limited what we could do - we could not call go routes and Rutgers was easily jumping on our slants and out patterns. Not mixing it up was not the problem.

I don't know if the Rutgers strategy was out of desperation, but it was an effort to take advantage of superior athletes.

I seem to recall Pitt throwing balls in the air and taking advantage of the physical dominance of their receivers last year. I recall being so impressed by the size of the Pitt WRs.

The fact is that Ryan does not have the luxury of throwing the ball up for grabs.

Offenses that throw the ball up for grabs usually aren't all that successful. In the Pitt game, there was a TD to Shanahan that next day everyone said he's so physical. Because we tried to bump him and it didn't work, then he was open and caught the pass in stride. Devin Street's big play, threw to him on a quick out, got a good block from a physical WR, and watched him outrun everyone on our team.

Maybe I'm not thinking of throwing the ball up for grabs the same way you are. When I saw what Rutgers was doing, it made me think of Miami 1994 with Frank Costa. He had a weak arm but huge receivers so they would just throw it up and watch Yatil Green and others come down with it about 30-4o yards down field.

I don't see a lot of that from the successful college offenses. I see more of getting guys out into space and passes that either hit them in stride or hit them sitting in a soft spot in the zone.

everyone gets on bailey for the other guys not being able to share the load. we'll see if an overweight freshman is the guy, he's the new mungro (freshman that people fall in love with before seeing anything)

If he could hold the football, Bailey would be fine as a 25 carry back. But his inability to do so says more to me than anything else as to why Carter played so much over him. I bet Gulley would have seen at least 15 carries this week, if not more. But now that we're down to Smith and Moore, who knows what we'll see.

I'm glad we'll see younger guys. That's typically a panic move for a coach, but in this case what's Marrone to do? Keep putting the same unproductive players out there in this system? This team was poised for a pretty good 2012, but on offense it's hard to think so anymore. Might as well get the young guys on the field now, see what you have, and maybe the staff can get that hope back for next year.

The only thing that stands out to me in the article is this:

“Look for starter Antwon Bailey to catch the ball out of the backfield and be a sparkplug rather than an every-down off-tackle back”

Bout time. This is what made Bailey very good last year. I think he’s good for a 15/18 carries a game – and like to see him get outside – but the 20+ carriers a game forget it. Geezus 27 carries against Toledo is ridiculous. He needs the ball in space. The staff has failed miserably in this department – the handling of Bailey and the other running backs has been bad.

In defense of the staff the other running backs – sans Gulley – aren’t that good.

The WR’s – I think Lemon is a very good WR. West looks like he’d going to be a good one to. Chew just isn’t strong enough and has had some bad drops. Graham should’ve never been moved but since he did why not throw him a couple long balls – oh yeah Nassib can’t get time for anything more than a 3 step drop.

The other guys who the heck knows. Foster and Flemming look slow. Hale was not mentioned today. For those pulling for Kobena – forget it – he runs bad routes and needs to get stronger to.

Nassib is a fine quarterback. My only knock is that he panics. But he throws a good ball and is very accurate. Kinder/Hunt we’ll have to wait and see. I hope Broyld is practicing throwing a football through a tire because he’s a lot like David Legree. Syracuse has a couple of offers out to QB’s right now and are still looking at others – read between the lines.
I agree with you and others that the negativity shown towards Chew and Lemon is overboard. I think both are good solid receivers with excellent hands. Both are good blockers as well.

In addition, he is a good deep threat who rarely is well covered when he goes long. The guy has fine speed. Chew's effectiveness against a physical corner playing bump and run is limited. That is the only negative I see with Van.

Lemon seems to be open all the time, even when RU was jumping slant routes. Some guys have the knack of using their body to get open and stay open...Van isn't great at this but Alec does it well (this is what I like about the way Foster plays too). Was disappointed Alec didn't get more balls thrown his way late in the game against Rutgers. I think he is our best possession receiver in a long time.

Most teams use 5, 6, 7 or even 8 WRs in a regular rotation. This is done in part to wear down the CBs covering the WRs. Very hard to cover 30 script routes in a game against guys who only have to run 5 a game.

We have been using our starting WRs far more than most teams do. Would be great if we could get good enough play from the backups to cut the starters playing time down so they are only playing say 30 or 40% of the snaps on offense. I think that would help a lot.

If we can do that, if we take 6 to 8 shots down the field a game and if Nassib can hit on 2 or 3 of them (the WRs will be open, of that I am sure), the offense will be a lot more functional.

I'm sure they noticed that all our DBs were wearing Iron Mike Sharpe casts on their forearm.

This reference must not go unnoticed!

sharpe_ironmike.jpg

Offenses that throw the ball up for grabs usually aren't all that successful. In the Pitt game, there was a TD to Shanahan that next day everyone said he's so physical. Because we tried to bump him and it didn't work, then he was open and caught the pass in stride. Devin Street's big play, threw to him on a quick out, got a good block from a physical WR, and watched him outrun everyone on our team.

Maybe I'm not thinking of throwing the ball up for grabs the same way you are. When I saw what Rutgers was doing, it made me think of Miami 1994 with Frank Costa. He had a weak arm but huge receivers so they would just throw it up and watch Yatil Green and others come down with it about 30-4o yards down field.

I don't see a lot of that from the successful college offenses. I see more of getting guys out into space and passes that either hit them in stride or hit them sitting in a soft spot in the zone.
A couple of things. First, teams like Oklahoma are so superior to most of their competition, that it's probably not all that difficult for them to find open seems in the defense during most games.

Second, you hear it all the time these days - especially in the NFL - that as the level of competition increases, the less open receivers are - the QBs must throw the ball and allow the WRs to make a plays.

During last year's Super Bowl Aaron Rodgers threw a few passes into coverage - the WR was not open - but the passes allowed the WRs to get the ball.

"Making plays" is what football is all about these days. And you need "playmakers" to make plays - that is probably more important than mixing up the playcalling.

I gather that that is what Marrone is telling Dave Rahme.

They did. At the goal line against Rutgers.

And everyone was mad.
True, but that was a bang - bang play - one that really did not or could not take advantage of Foster's height - too congested at the goal line.

Put the guy out in space.

Most teams use 5, 6, 7 or even 8 WRs in a regular rotation. This is done in part to wear down the CBs covering the WRs. Very hard to cover 30 script routes in a game against guys who only have to run 5 a game.

We have been using our starting WRs far more than most teams do. Would be great if we could get good enough play from the backups to cut the starters playing time down so they are only playing say 30 or 40% of the snaps on offense. I think that would help a lot.

Excellent point. I think the coaches get scared to put guys in there to perform in a close game when they don't show anything in practice. It's funny that some people find that so ridiculous.

Imagine you own a business and are doing a presentation for a big company who you are hoping will sign a contract afterwards. Hey, brilliant idea - let's throw the guy who has only been around a short time and has only done okay presenting to very small clientele. At least we are taking a risk, funny how people wouldn't do this at work but the coaches should do this during a game so everyone complains afterwards.

My hope is that if Jerome and/or Adonis get more carries and find a rhythm, and Bailey gets the swing passes working, our WRs will be in a much better place to get open and make plays. Sounds like that is the plan. The key is that Jerome and/or Adonis can't get 3-5 touches. It has to be more. It usually doesn't work to send a guy in cold and have him go get a few yards. TOs become a likelihood and the RB is going to be more focused on the fact that it's his one chance rather than finding the right seem and getting there quickly.

I agree those players were not every down backs with the exception of Mungro who could have been in this O. However Carter was although he wasnt very good in passing situations. We miss Gully big time is part of the problem. Lets see what Smith and AAM can do. Next year i believe that Smallwood can take a few carries and Devonte has the size and speed to be good. Still i dream of a juco!

I agree those players were not every down backs with the exception of Mungro who could have been in this O. However Carter was although he wasnt very good in passing situations. We miss Gully big time is part of the problem. Lets see what Smith and AAM can do. Next year i believe that Smallwood can take a few carries and Devonte has the size and speed to be good. Still i dream of a juco!

I think Adonis will be a force with a year of conditioning under his belt. Let's hope we can hold onto Devonte. If so, the position could be a real strength. PTG, Adonis and Devonte is a nice package.

Now that is funny... Awesome. Canada's #1 athlete!!! yeah baby

Iron Mike Sharpe is a first ballot entry into the wrestling jobber Hall of Fame, along with:

S.D. Jones
Swede Hanson
Rene Goulet
Steve Lombardi
Jose Luis Rivera

Tag Team wing:
Paul Roma & Jim Powers

Maybe this should be it's own thread.

Iron Mike Sharpe is a first ballot entry into the wrestling jobber Hall of Fame, along with:

S.D. Jones
Swede Hanson
Rene Goulet
Steve Lombardi
Jose Luis Rivera

Tag Team wing:
Paul Roma & Jim Powers

Such great memories of watching those clowns as a kid, Tito Santana, Pedro Morales, Ivan Putski!! The polish hammer

S.D. Jones
Swede Hanson
Rene Goulet
Steve Lombardi
Jose Luis Rivera

Tag Team wing:
Paul Roma & Jim Powers

No Salvatore Bellomo?