Class of 2015 - Now that TB is in the rearview mirror; are we done? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Now that TB is in the rearview mirror; are we done?

Yeah, LSU has been doing well. They kept Jerrell Martin in state and he was a 5 star guy. Mickey is a 4 star guy from Dallas and they have the two studs coming in soon.
Circumstances helped LSU out this year with their recruiting. Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney played AAU together. Simmons Godfather is an LSU assistant and former pro teammate of his Dad.

Circumstances helped LSU out this year with their recruiting. Ben Simmons and Antonio Blakeney played AAU together. Simmons Godfather is an LSU assistant and former pro teammate of his Dad.

Just out of curiosity, when was this godfather hired?

It's sort of the silver lining - if there is one - to losing Bryant. I'm all for getting this over with, hopefully the appeal will be successful and we may be out of the woods before we even realize we were in them. Fingers crossed.
Problem: If somehow 1 scholarship per year is restored, it will be too late to add anyone to this incoming class.

longtimefan said:
Problem: If somehow 1 scholarship per year is restored, it will be too late to add anyone to this incoming class.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting scholarships returned on the back end, rather than having the returned scholarships spread out over the lifetime of the ban. Like having the 3 lost ships for 4 years reduced to 3 lost ships for 2 years. Obviously I'm just spit ballin. But either way I'm of the opinion we aren't getting another player this year.

At this point, there's nobody out there that may be interested in us (lower recruit or 5th year transfer) that will be worth pushing the scholarship penalty back a year. Of course, a high level recruit might be worth it, but it's a little late to be getting in on any of those parties. We might as well go with 10 now, and then hope to have the penalty reduced in future seasons.

At this point, our roster for next year is what it is. Knock one year out with the scholarship reductions, and hopefully by next year the appeal will have gotten the reductions down a bit so we can add more than just Moyer and Battle next year.

At this point, our roster for next year is what it is. Knock one year out with the scholarship reductions, and hopefully by next year the appeal will have gotten the reductions down a bit so we can add more than just Moyer and Battle next year.
I'm thinking the appeal will be like CraigForth is saying ... 3 per year for four years gets reduced on appeal to 3 per year for two years (2015-16 and 16-17, full class in 17-18 for Boeheim's last year).

I'm thinking the appeal will be like CraigForth is saying ... 3 per year for four years gets reduced on appeal to 3 per year for two years (2015-16 and 16-17, full class in 17-18 for Boeheim's last year).
Honestly, that would be just fine with me. If we can snag Battle to go with Moyer, I'm totally cool with not having any scholies restored until 17-18.

Honestly, that would be just fine with me. If we can snag Battle to go with Moyer, I'm totally cool with not having any scholies restored until 17-18.
I would like another big body.

I would like another big body.
Well, to me that's Moyer, and it's about whether Coleman gets healthy. Roberson, Coleman, and Chino will be seniors; Diagne will be a sophomore; Moyer will be a freshman (Moyer is going to be a PF when he gets here). That's at least four, hopefully five (Chino being the fifth) big bodies to rotate. That should be more than enough for one season.

Well, to me that's Moyer, and it's about whether Coleman gets healthy. Roberson, Coleman, and Chino will be seniors; Diagne will be a sophomore; Moyer will be a freshman (Moyer is going to be a PF when he gets here). That's at least four, hopefully five (Chino being the fifth) big bodies to rotate. That should be more than enough for one season.

I'd like another center. Coleman's health will be a question mark and it' unclear how much Chino will develop.

I'd like another center. Coleman's health will be a question mark and it' unclear how much Chino will develop.
Oh I know. I've got the same skepticism with those two. But I look at this this way: if Coleman has another year battling health concerns, I absolutely cannot imagine he'll put himself through another year, so that would more than likely be another free scholarship for a big man. And if Chino continues to lack development, obviously, he might become a transfer candidate. There's obviously still another year to be played to figure out what's going to happen with those two and whether or not we need one more big man.

View attachment 39873 Insiders, now that we came in 2nd for the Thomas Bryant sweepstakes; are we finished for this recruiting cycle or is there someone out there that we are still involved with
[ATTACH=full]39873[/ATTACH] Inquiring minds want to know!

Not really an insider but my take on this is that

1) We dropped out of the TB sweepstakes a couple of months ago voluntarily.
2) We did this largely because we desperately want Tyus Battle, who we wouldn't have had a scholarship available for had we taken Bryant. JB decided a bird in the hand (TB) was NOT worth 2 in the bush (Battle), so he left Thomas go to get a better bird.

Pretty big gamble. As I have said before, Battle is a really special player. Bryant is a very very good player but Tyus is a transcendent talent.

We will see how it all plays out in the coming months.

Not really an insider but my take on this is that

1) We dropped out of the TB sweepstakes a couple of months ago voluntarily.
2) We did this largely because we desperately want Tyus Battle, who we wouldn't have had a scholarship available for had we taken Bryant. JB decided a bird in the hand (TB) was NOT worth 2 in the bush (Battle), so he left Thomas go to get a better bird.

Pretty big gamble. As I have said before, Battle is a really special player. Bryant is a very very good player but Tyus is a transcendent talent.

We will see how it all plays out in the coming months.

I love Battle--agree that he might be a transcdendent, program transformational "get."

We have to land this kid. He could be our MJ.

Kinda surprised we backed off on Bryant.

Always figured he was one and done, making room for Battle.

Kinda surprised we backed off on Bryant.

Always figured he was one and done, making room for Battle.

Or Coleman taking his degree after next year and leaving. There will undoubtably be more than just two ships available, and a team with Battle and TB would have been great!!

If DC leaving after another year is a distinct possibility, than you have to assume that the coaching staff will be looking for a quality big man in the next recruiting cycle. Francis might be of help on this. As they stay in sports, "next man up."

Add Nigel Williams-Goss to yhe transfer list. Once a big time recruit and pure pg along w our boy Ennis that yr. Id imagine st johns and iowa st will be all over this. ...anyone else notice the Johnnies are offering and taking anyone and everyone since Mullin took over?

Add Nigel Williams-Goss to yhe transfer list. Once a big time recruit and pure pg along w our boy Ennis that yr. Id imagine st johns and iowa st will be all over this. ...anyone else notice the Johnnies are offering and taking anyone and everyone since Mullin took over?

He will have to sit though right?

I don't know squat about the recruiting process, so what do the recruitment sanctions handed down affect in the next 3 years?

UNLV will definitely be in the picture. Simon is an assistant with the Rebs and was his coach at Findlay. I thought UNLV was in the running for him out of high school but can't remember

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom