Now that the Sloan news is out | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Now that the Sloan news is out

returns a punt for positive yardage phat lets not make excuses Rene is a good punt catcher we have been over this before

I don’t want my thoughts on the PR to be misconstrued so let’s be clear here. I’m not saying there isn’t a better punt returner on the team – there might be. Desir, Wayne Morgan etc we’ll soon see. However, my belief is that Rene doesn’t return punts and is forced to fair catch everything because the defense is waiting for him to catch the ball. If Rene was given room to run he would.

You assert that Rene isn’t a good punt returner because he doesn’t have any return yardage and he fair catches everything. You don't take anything else into consideration.

All that said, Rene has never dropped or muffed a punt – even when getting his head taken off – and this is the most important quality a PR can have – catching the ball (and using good judgement).

This doesn’t even take into account what he’s being ‘coached’ to do.

I don’t want my thoughts on the PR to be misconstrued so let’s be clear here. I’m not saying there isn’t a better punt returner on the team – there might be. Desir, Wayne Morgan etc we’ll soon see. However, my belief is that Rene doesn’t return punts and is forced to fair catch everything because the defense is waiting for him to catch the ball. If Rene was given room to run he would.

You assert that Rene isn’t a good punt returner because he doesn’t have any return yardage and he fair catches everything. You don't take anything else into consideration.

All that said, Rene has never dropped or muffed a punt – even when getting his head taken off – and this is the most important quality a PR can have – catching the ball (and using good judgement).

This doesn’t even take into account what he’s being ‘coached’ to do.

I can't recall any times seeing Rene catch the punt and thinking 'why did he fair catch that, there's room to run'. Seems like I'm more often thinking "there's 3 guys about a foot away from you so please don't drop it".

As has been said in this thread, the PR isn't the problem, setting up any kind of return is the problem. Hopefully we fix, would be nice to see this become part of our arsenal again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom