Now that WVU is offically in the B12, it is time for TGD to make a stand | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Now that WVU is offically in the B12, it is time for TGD to make a stand

If all this backstabbing over the past year or two has taught us anything, it's that teams are going to do what is best for them, right or wrong. So if you were an administrator, not only do you have to sell this HIGHLY debatable thought process to other SU officials, but then you have to do so to multiple universities... Including one with an even stronger rivalry with WVU than our own. If I'm Pittsburgh I'm thinking, "um, nah, sorry chief, we already recruit pretty well and are way better off keeping the rivalry going." I would say that there is only about a 20% chance your plan would actually work out. Unfortunately, it's not like the remaining 80% is neutral territory, where we have nothing to lose by trying. If it doesn't work we look like complete douches.
But if we do it, it gives them one less chance to play a quality Eastern team. If they don't care, fine. But at least we're not helping them maintain their 'Eastern' identity.

I just want to get the living hell out of the big east as soon as possible first and foremost.

If SU has to play 9 ACC games I want 1 AQ, 1 mid major and 1 hopefully bad team OOC. There is no reason what so ever to play 11 or 12 tough teams each year when so many others don't even come close to that. If in some way wv can work into that, fine and if not that's the direction it goes.

I disagree.

Luck said something stupid. He was mad and stressed out. He regrets it. He even emailed Syracuse fans after the game last Friday congratulating them.

I don't think we're going to play them again, but it shouldn't be for emotional reasons.

I just want to get the living hell out of the big east as soon as possible first and foremost.

If SU has to play 9 ACC games I want 1 AQ, 1 mid major and 1 hopefully bad team OOC. There is no reason what so ever to play 11 or 12 tough teams each year when so many others don't even come close to that. If in some way wv can work into that, fine and if not that's the direction it goes.

Disagree... we will still be in the weakest major conference in the country. Scheduling a tough schedule is a must if you have hopes of reaching the ultimate level. I would love to see an annual Friday night kickoff between Cuse and WVU (obviously won't happen). Then an easy game to work on issues we found in game 1. Then a brawl with one USC, PSU, etc. prior to conference play.

How often do we complete against them for kids? They've have new areas to recruit. The Big 12 might be a big bite for them. Playing a game every other year in Syracuse is the least of things they'll need to worry about.

Disagree... we will still be in the weakest major conference in the country. Scheduling a tough schedule is a must if you have hopes of reaching the ultimate level. I would love to see an annual Friday night kickoff between Cuse and WVU (obviously won't happen). Then an easy game to work on issues we found in game 1. Then a brawl with one USC, PSU, etc. prior to conference play.

Very rarely do teams that reach the ultimate level play more than 10 aq teams. Heck, most play 9. Also, even winning vs a mid major may be a game of russian roulette when you play a team as talented as Toledo.

Very rarely do teams that reach the ultimate level play more than 10 aq teams. Heck, most play 9. Also, even winning vs a mid major may be a game of russian roulette when you play a team as talented as Toledo.

Most teams that reach the ultimate level also don't hail from the weakest conference, respectively. I am talking about in a few years when hopefully the rebuild is finished of course, but at that point what do we have to lose? If we win the conference, then we probably still need the SOS help for a title game, and if we lose one of the early games, at least we know were toughened up against a good competitor and it doesn't effect our conference hopes in the least. Oh, and I was thinking more like an FCS school for game two.

FSU won the NC while playing in the ACC, just win the games and things will play out and if you're playing too many aq's, you're going to be beat up and it's just oo much to ask for from a team like Syracuse that hasn't ever really recruited well enough to have the depth as schools that use various resources to get one 4.4 guy that replaces another that gets hurt.

FSU won the NC while playing in the ACC, just win the games and things will play out and if you're playing too many aq's, you're going to be beat up and it's just oo much to ask for from a team like Syracuse that hasn't ever really recruited well enough to have the depth as schools that use various resources to get one 4.4 guy that replaces another that gets hurt.

Well, FSU had to schedule Miami and Florida. So my point pretty much stands in that regard. Now you yourself also have a point about the depth issues, but while I can't speak for everyone, I would at least like to see us make the attempt to win it all once we have stabilized.

Well, FSU had to schedule Miami and Florida. So my point pretty much stands in that regard. Now you yourself also have a point about the depth issues, but while I can't speak for everyone, I would at least like to see us make the attempt to win it all once we have stabilized.

It's a tough decision and just look at 98 when we played the schedule from hell, I do see your point but if we have a playoff it would make this a moot point, eh?

One because their AD shot his mouth off and yes I don't look kindly upon a senior official at a University doing that, but two, why would we want to help a team that is on the east coast when we have a perfect opportunity to shut them out of it? For the sake of playing a long time rival? Not me.

You're using a grudge against one guy and extending it to the whole institution. What did you expect them to do...stay on a ship that has a good chance of sinking? We certainly didn't when we had the chance. It's been a great rivalry and I don't see why it should stop.

You're using a grudge against one guy and extending it to the whole institution. What did you expect them to do...stay on a ship that has a good chance of sinking? We certainly didn't when we had the chance. It's been a great rivalry and I don't see why it should stop.
Not at all. But I do expect an official at an institution of higher learning not to bad mouth a school (that did the same thing they were trying to do) they have had a good relationship and long rivalry with. If someone who worked for me did something similar, there would have been consequences. Unprofessional, to say the least.

Not at all. But I do expect an official at an institution of higher learning not to bad mouth a school (that did the same thing they were trying to do) they have had a good relationship and long rivalry with. If someone who worked for me did something similar, there would have been consequences. Unprofessional, to say the least.

Of course, but to condemn an entire institution for the words of one individual is petty and misplaced. That's what I'm talking about here

Of course, but to condemn an entire institution for the words of one individual is petty and misplaced. That's what I'm talking about here
I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's saying we should not play them, because doing that gives them more of an Eastern presence. The other stuff just reinforces his opinion.

I don't think that's what he's saying. I think he's saying we should not play them, because doing that gives them more of an Eastern presence. The other stuff just reinforces his opinion.

Well, they are an eastern school, aren't they? So who cares, except bees? I don't see why a few people want to "punish" them by not playing them just because they leave for the B12 or because one of their officials says something that we don't like. Much ado about nothing.

Well, they are an eastern school, aren't they? So who cares, except bees? I don't see why a few people want to "punish" them by not playing them just because they leave for the B12 or because one of their officials says something that we don't like. Much ado about nothing.
It's an internet board. People have opinions. They voice them. It's fine if you don't agree. If you don't, we get it. I think he explained his point clearly.

What you are talking about here has nothing to do with what I said. That's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX

I find the whole idea of wanting to diminish other schools to improve our recruiting dubious at best. If we are going to return to the level we were once at we have to recruit the kids we need based on the merits of our program and not some other programs being down.

What you are talking about here has nothing to do with what I said. That's what I'm talking about.

Sent from my DROIDX

Guinness's post says it better than I did.

I find the whole idea of wanting to diminish other schools to improve our recruiting dubious at best. If we are going to return to the level we were once at we have to recruit the kids we need based on the merits of our program and not some other programs being down.
Guinness's post says it better than I did.
So, if we could do something that might help the program, we shouldn't do it because it might 'diminish' another school? Is that what you're saying?

...and got to tell you I am very impressed with WVU insfar as the At their request, this network is being blocked from this site. board...I would be all for continuing our rivalry with them regardless of Luck and statements etc...in fact, Pitino and what he has said has me more pissed

So, if we could do something that might help the program, we shouldn't do it because it might 'diminish' another school? Is that what you're saying?

And IF, UConn ends up in the ACC and IF, rutgers ends up in the B10, I'm all for isolating rutgers too. You see plenty of articles that talk about a conference taking a team due to getting a "presence" in that area. The reverse is also true. Diminish someones presence especially when it should be easy.

Maybe I am just old school. I want to out-recruit and out-play our rivals. Not hope that they end up in shitty conferences. I still want to play UConn in hoops every year as well as WVU in football.

Before we make any decisions on this stuff we need to know how many conference games we'll have, and what commitments we already have for non conference. Some obviously go away (BC, GT). But ND, Penn State, Northwestern, Navy are all on future schedules.

I'm hoping that if everyone goes 9 conf game schedules, then 1AAs will go away. Pac 12 has been playing 9 game conf schedules for years and they rarely play any 1AAs.

Not sure we'll have room to commit to one school. Don't really see any need to schedule RU or UConn. A future home and home with WVU could be fun, just not sure we'd want to make it something annual and lose more of the limited flexibility we'll have.

I think it would be funny if Pitt said they'll schedule WVU but not while Oliver Luck is the AD.

Before we make any decisions on this stuff we need to know how many conference games we'll have, and what commitments we already have for non conference. Some obviously go away (BC, GT). But ND, Penn State, Northwestern, Navy are all on future schedules.

I'm hoping that if everyone goes 9 conf game schedules, then 1AAs will go away. Pac 12 has been playing 9 game conf schedules for years and they rarely play any 1AAs.

Not sure we'll have room to commit to one school. Don't really see any need to schedule RU or UConn. A future home and home with WVU could be fun, just not sure we'd want to make it something annual and lose more of the limited flexibility we'll have.

I think it would be funny if Pitt said they'll schedule WVU but not while Oliver Luck is the AD.

Looks like 9 conference games, so that leaves 3 - I assume we'll go the route of having one 1-AA tomato can, a MAC team, and one BCS team.

We'll probably play WVU again, but it's not going to be for a while.

I also expect our series with ND to get amended.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom