NYT on Carolina cheating | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

NYT on Carolina cheating

Give us a general time frame s'il vous plait.

I was drinking quite a bit that evening, but I'll see if I can't get you this.

Nah, it's foolish on its face. So if Boeheim bought Lydon a tractor it was a violation, but if he bought another non-athlete student a tractor also then its fine? No way. If the NCAA goes for this ruse they are dumber or more crooked than I thought.
Or, if we could find one student in Fab Melo's class who also had someone else write a portion of his paper for him/her, we can get those infractions vacated.

Weird, because it looks like Jordan bought that dealership in late 1995 and that is right when Antawn Jamison got to Chapel Hill. Coincidences like these always amaze me.
th

The governing Southern College accrediting agency deemed the courses invalid and put the entire university on probation. Therefore, the athletes that relied on these credits were actually ineligible to play.

This is pretty much all you need to know realize how much UNC was cheating since they created those courses. Basically every revenue earning team had ineligible players for 10+ years. Its quite laughable that the NCAA has has ran for the hills and done everything they can to avoid punishing UNC. The reason is that if they decide the fake classes were something in their wheelhouse then the scope if so large that the only proper penalty is telling them no fball, bball, wbball for 5 years. They don't want to do that, plus its UNC.

This is pretty much all you need to know realize how much UNC was cheating since they created those courses. Basically every revenue earning team had ineligible players for 10+ years. Its quite laughable that the NCAA has has ran for the hills and done everything they can to avoid punishing UNC. The reason is that if they decide the fake classes were something in their wheelhouse then the scope if so large that the only proper penalty is telling them no fball, bball, wbball for 5 years. They don't want to do that, plus its UNC.

Agreed--this is where they are going to get nailed, if the NCAA pursues this at all. Emmert pulled an intentional bait-and-switch when he proclaimed that the NCAA shouldn't be in the business of determining whether college courses are valid or not, and that therefore this case isn't in the NCAA's "wheelhouse."

Of course, that is right. The NCAA does not and should not have the authority to regulate standards for what constitutes acceptable college course content -- that would be a huge overstepping of their bounds [even though the NCAA clearinghouse does this very thing when evaluating high school course content], and the resource requirements to do this would be massive. So no argument there, Emmert.

The problem is, taking that narrow viewpoint overlooks the fact that an uncountable number of UNC athletes used these courses to artificially inflate their GPAs. Some of them might not have been eligible otherwise, and sans these courses some might not have meant minimum requirements for eligibility / progress toward degree. Which means that for nearly two decades, UNC had a system that some [not all] athletes used to circumvent NCAA rules on eligibility.

Back when the Minnesota academic scandal broke in the mid-90s, one of the arbiters presiding over the case famously commented that he'd never encountered academic cheating on such a grand scale, and that the intentional malfeasance warranted them getting the hammer dropped on them.

Compared to UNC, what happened at Minnesota barely rates.

And that's the problem that the NCAA has--proportion. Their arbitrary and capricious enforcement and penalties create a huge imbalance, where some programs get the book thrown at them, while other sometimes more egregious infractions are tolerated and often ignored. If the NCAA were to penalize UNC at a rate commensurate with what they've done in similar cases in the past, UNC WOULD get the death penalty.

Agreed--this is where they are going to get nailed, if the NCAA pursues this at all. Emmert pulled an intentional bait-and-switch when he proclaimed that the NCAA shouldn't be in the business of determining whether college courses are valid or not, and that therefore this case isn't in the NCAA's "wheelhouse."

Of course, that is right. The NCAA does not and should not have the authority to regulate standards for what constitutes acceptable college course content -- that would be a huge overstepping of their bounds [even though the NCAA clearinghouse does this very thing when evaluating high school course content], and the resource requirements to do this would be massive. So no argument there, Emmert.

The problem is, taking that narrow viewpoint overlooks the fact that an uncountable number of UNC athletes used these courses to artificially inflate their GPAs. Some of them might not have been eligible otherwise, and sans these courses some might not have meant minimum requirements for eligibility / progress toward degree. Which means that for nearly two decades, UNC had a system that some [not all] athletes used to circumvent NCAA rules on eligibility.

Back when the Minnesota academic scandal broke in the mid-90s, one of the arbiters presiding over the case famously commented that he'd never encountered academic cheating on such a grand scale, and that the intentional malfeasance warranted them getting the hammer dropped on them.

Compared to UNC, what happened at Minnesota barely rates.

And that's the problem that the NCAA has--proportion. Their arbitrary and capricious enforcement and penalties create a huge imbalance, where some programs get the book thrown at them, while other sometimes more egregious infractions are tolerated and often ignored. If the NCAA were to penalize UNC at a rate commensurate with what they've done in similar cases in the past, UNC WOULD get the death penalty.

It's hard to take the NCAA seriously and understand all this arbitrary enforcement. How much is Emmert doing overseeing the COI (Committee on Infractions)? Or do they work more separately with one hand not knowing what the other hand is doing? I almost spit my coffee out the other day in the car when, and I'm not sure when this occurred, Bobby Cremins said on Sirius that the NCAA called him to serve on their CoI at some point and he did. That tells you all you need to know.

Good post. The last time I heard "malfeasance" being used was by Chief Gunderson (Frances McDormand) interviewing Jerry Lundegaard in Fargo. Set in Minnesota!

Last edited:
From the Article

View attachment 94948

Daggum it those Woman Soccer players looking to tear down the scholars within the basketball program.

Roy, did you forget to read the 3rd NOA?

I am also amused that the "length of the investigation" is perhaps punishment enough.
It seems that the NCAA has spent years trying to NOT find things, and they inevitably couldn't just sweep it under the rug. How they can't hold the coach responsible, and yet they can hold JB responsible is crazy.

There is little else that would entertain me more. Maybe if they threw the Dallas Cowboys and the Montreal Canadiens in with them?

And anyway, UNC has a lot of well connected alumni. So you gotta know if UNC gets whacked, there will be enormous pressure from them on the NCAA to go after Duke as well. I'd be quite surprised if Mike didn't have some skeletons of his own in the closet.

Last edited:
There is little else that would entertain me more. Maybe if they threw the Dallas Cowboys and the Montreal Canadiens in with them?

And anyway, UNC has a lot of well connected alumni. So you gotta know if UNC gets whacked, there will be enormous pressure from them on the NCAA to go after Duke as well. I'd be quite surprised if Mike didn't have some skeletons of his own in the closet.
The biggest thing to use against dook is the number of their athletes who take courses at NC Central U across town instead of at dook to stay eligible. It's 100% possible for an OAD to take all his Fall courses at NCCU, pass them, register for the Spring and not go to class again. I'm really surprised the Raleigh News & Observer has gone after this, too, since NCCU has to answer to NC public records requests since it's a state school.

The biggest thing to use against dook is the number of their athletes who take courses at NC Central U across town instead of at dook to stay eligible. It's 100% possible for an OAD to take all his Fall courses at NCCU, pass them, register for the Spring and not go to class again. I'm really surprised the Raleigh News & Observer has gone after this, too, since NCCU has to answer to NC public records requests since it's a state school.

wheelhouse?

Weird, because it looks like Jordan bought that dealership in late 1995 and that is right when Antawn Jamison got to Chapel Hill. Coincidences like these always amaze me.
Hey, Rasheed Wallace's mom, from Philadelphia, miraculously landed a job with the county government in NC when her son signed with UNC.
Talk about lucky coincidence.
Almost as lucky as Trajon Langdon's dad suddenly being qualified to teach at Duke for his son's senior year.

Hey, Rasheed Wallace's mom, from Philadelphia, miraculously landed a job with the county government in NC when her son signed with UNC.
Almost as lucky as Trajon Langdon's dad suddenly being qualified to teach at Duke for his son's senior year.
I wasn't aware of those two things. I wish we had as many fortunate coincidences as schools like UNC and Duke.

No biggie, if the ACC doesn't get with the gay hating the North Carolina clownshow is going to force UNC and NC State to leave the conference.

Lets be careful. I'm going to assume a job with a North Carolina county government is not all that difficult to obtain. It's not like she got hired as a hedge fund manager or surgeon or something. I don't see why it is so far out of the box for a person from Philly, who wants to move to NC, to apply for a job with the county government and be able to land the job.