NYT on Carolina cheating | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

NYT on Carolina cheating

to apply for a job with the county government and be able to land the job.
depends on the job I guess. When was the last time you applied for county job in some other state? The priority usually goes 1) someone else in the county government already 2) someone who lives in the county 3) someone who lives/is employed in an adjacent county 4) someone from within the state and 5) the best qualified person not a part of groups 1-4. Not impossible, but one helluva a coincidence.

Agreed--this is where they are going to get nailed, if the NCAA pursues this at all. Emmert pulled an intentional bait-and-switch when he proclaimed that the NCAA shouldn't be in the business of determining whether college courses are valid or not, and that therefore this case isn't in the NCAA's "wheelhouse."

Of course, that is right. The NCAA does not and should not have the authority to regulate standards for what constitutes acceptable college course content -- that would be a huge overstepping of their bounds [even though the NCAA clearinghouse does this very thing when evaluating high school course content], and the resource requirements to do this would be massive. So no argument there, Emmert.

The problem is, taking that narrow viewpoint overlooks the fact that an uncountable number of UNC athletes used these courses to artificially inflate their GPAs. Some of them might not have been eligible otherwise, and sans these courses some might not have meant minimum requirements for eligibility / progress toward degree. Which means that for nearly two decades, UNC had a system that some [not all] athletes used to circumvent NCAA rules on eligibility.

Back when the Minnesota academic scandal broke in the mid-90s, one of the arbiters presiding over the case famously commented that he'd never encountered academic cheating on such a grand scale, and that the intentional malfeasance warranted them getting the hammer dropped on them.

Compared to UNC, what happened at Minnesota barely rates.

And that's the problem that the NCAA has--proportion. Their arbitrary and capricious enforcement and penalties create a huge imbalance, where some programs get the book thrown at them, while other sometimes more egregious infractions are tolerated and often ignored. If the NCAA were to penalize UNC at a rate commensurate with what they've done in similar cases in the past, UNC WOULD get the death penalty.

well if this blatant GHOST GRADE problem isn't dealt with by the NCAA then just enroll our guys next semester in a class called counting sparrows out my window. open to every student. and no classroom attendance necessary. just submit one term paper saying how many sparrows you might have seen while looking out the window.

prerequisite: how to tell a sparrow from a pine cone

well if this blatant GHOST GRADE problem isn't dealt with by the NCAA then just enroll our guys next semester in a class called counting sparrows out my window. open to every student. and no classroom attendance necessary. just submit one term paper saying how many sparrows you might have seen while looking out the window.

Well, that depends on how long we all live to GET that last laugh.

Future lawsuits could drag out into the late 2020s or even 2030s. I'll be 70 in 2030. How old will you be, Unctar?

I mean chronologically of course. You act rather like a bratty 9 year old child of not very good attorneys.
I think this response is a bit over the top. No reason to outright attack him. We as a fanbase should be better than that.

No biggie, if the ACC doesn't get with the gay hating the North Carolina clownshow is going to force UNC and NC State to leave the conference.
They going to pay their exit fees as well? $100M to the tax payers would be quite the tax burden.

Do you even read this board?

:D
Ha. I'm ok with us eating our own. Heck most of this board knows each other through the tailgates. I laughed hard when I read this though.

But we should be a bit more respectful to fans of other teams that visit and are otherwise respectful towards us.

This thread is great. I don't want it to stop. In all seriousness though they aren't doing anything to UNC. It's the NCAA for gods sake.

Ha. I'm ok with us eating our own. Heck most of this board knows each other through the tailgates. I laughed hard when I read this though.

But we should be a bit more respectful to fans of other teams that visit and are otherwise respectful towards us.
Uh, try reading the thread and see how DISrespectful that NC poster was before you pass out the judgment re SU fans here.

Uh, try reading the thread and see how DISrespectful that NC poster was before you pass out the judgment re SU fans here.

This post coming from you is rich to say the least.

No biggie, if the ACC doesn't get with the gay hating the North Carolina clownshow is going to force UNC and NC State to leave the conference.
Not sure gay folks have an issue with which bathroom they use.

LOL.

Says the guy with this posting history:

Unctar88
Walk On

1. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      I have no intention of changing anyone's mind. Just know that this thing isn't gonna end the way the nyt or the n and o are telling you...

3 minutes ago
    2. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      It's not some "random guy".. ahaha. Try one of the top lawyers in the country who has an intimate relationship with how the NCAA operates.

4 minutes ago
    3. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      [MEDIA]

33 minutes ago
    4. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      You guys are right-I'll go enjoy the final four. I hung out here during the season and posted a few times I just happened to come here...

38 minutes ago
    5. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Well, it's because it's troublesome that this is a story a supposed "reputable" newspaper is running totally denigrating unc on a...

46 minutes ago
    6. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Once again.. complete ignorance caused by taking the media at its rabid word.

48 minutes ago
    7. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      [MEDIA]

54 minutes ago
    8. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Walter Byerz @WalterByerz That NC AG was Roy Cooper, the current NC Governor. The Governor & Cheshire are UNC grads. He will...

57 minutes ago
    9. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Yawn. That's so ridiculous it barely deserves a reply. You guys enjoy the self righteousness while you can. In the end the last laugh...

Today at 5:03 PM
    10. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Again, the way you phrase your "question" tells me all I need to know about where trying to take any legitimate line of conversation...

Today at 4:23 PM
    1. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      All this shows me is how In the dark you are about what unc has or has not had to endure the past 9 years. Also, I may not be...

Today at 4:11 PM
    2. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      The replies I've received tell me all I need to know about any open mindedness to new information and how it would be received. I get...

Today at 3:19 PM
    3. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      As I said , me taking the time to post any rebuttals vis a Vis this or any other propaganda piece will just bring out more counter...

Today at 3:00 PM
    4. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      I think it was another case of the NCAA taking way too long to rule on anything and the time they held you all hostage was probably...

Today at 1:09 PM
    5. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Like I said, you all will believe what you want and your mind is already made up so trying to engage in any kind of meaningful discourse...

Today at 1:07 PM
    6. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      If you say so.

Today at 11:09 AM
    7. Unctar88 replied to the thread NYT on Carolina cheating.
      Unc has the best lawyers in the country working on this. There's literally no point in me trying to debunk most of the garbage in that...

Today at 10:36 AM
This in a nutshell is what the "average" UNC fan, even some in my own family, tell themselves, in order to cope with what's coming down.
I talk to plenty of them here in Charlotte & the myopic rationalizations come fast and furious, especially when you ask them about the scandal. They refuse to address the core issues, i.e.; rampant cheating that exposes the absolute fraud of the "Carolina Way" and instead, give you all kinds of reasons why they "oughta" get off scot-free. I love to tweak them and watch the fear in their eyes as they contemplate what I think is inevitable. They're gonna get hit...hard- and deep down, I think they know it. JMHO

This in a nutshell is what the "average" UNC fan, even some in my own family, tell themselves, in order to cope with what's coming down.
I talk to plenty of them here in Charlotte & the myopic rationalizations come fast and furious, especially when you ask them about the scandal. They refuse to address the core issues, i.e.; rampant cheating that exposes the absolute fraud of the "Carolina Way" and instead, give you all kinds of reasons why they "oughta" get off scot-free. I love to tweak them and watch the fear in their eyes as they contemplate what I think is inevitable. They're gonna get hit...hard- and deep down, I think they know it. JMHO
I hope you're right but I will believe it when I see it - the hoop program will escape unscathed.

I hope you're right but I will believe it when I see it - the hoop program will escape unscathed.

I thought this way from the beginning. I mean its UNC and you know how the NCAA does whatever it can to avoid penalizing large publicly funded universities, especially those blue blood sports ones. And true to form the NCAA went out of its way for a couple of years to do whatever it could not to get involved with this one. "Wheelhouse" blah blah blah. Once the courses were no longer accredited then they had a real problem. They were sort of forced to get back involved. The thing that I feel may sink UNC is that there are records of student athletes who relied on courses that do not count anymore to maintain eligibility. They played academically ineligible athletes in their major sports for years. Even if you say we didn't do it on purpose, or for the sports programs, they are still bogus classes thus basically 15 or however many years of games with ineligible players. How do you get past that with no penalty?

The NCAA is finally talking to the woman who's allegations started the UNC academic controversy:
NCAA meets with woman at center of UNC probe
The failure of any material witness to cooperate - whether past or present employee - should be held against the school.
This should be any reason for delay.
It appears an attempt to game the system by the witness (and likely the "school").

The failure of any material witness to cooperate - whether past or present employee - should be held against the school.
It appears an attempt to game the system by the witness (and likely the "school").
Everything on Carolina's side of things always waits right up until some deadline. Always.

I thought this way from the beginning. I mean its UNC and you know how the NCAA does whatever it can to avoid penalizing large publicly funded universities, especially those blue blood sports ones. And true to form the NCAA went out of its way for a couple of years to do whatever it could not to get involved with this one. "Wheelhouse" blah blah blah. Once the courses were no longer accredited then they had a real problem. They were sort of forced to get back involved. The thing that I feel may sink UNC is that there are records of student athletes who relied on courses that do not count anymore to maintain eligibility. They played academically ineligible athletes in their major sports for years. Even if you say we didn't do it on purpose, or for the sports programs, they are still bogus classes thus basically 15 or however many years of games with ineligible players. How do you get past that with no penalty?
I have no faith in the integrity of the NCAA- they are one of, if not the most corrupt organization in the history of athletics...in any sport, on all levels.
I simply see this case as their Waterloo. If they let UNC skate on this one the backlash will be loud and unforgiving. This is their last shot at relevancy, IMO. I just think they have no choice but to come down hard.

I have no faith in the integrity of the NCAA- they are one of, if not the most corrupt organization in the history of athletics...in any sport, on all levels.
I simply see this case as their Waterloo. If they let UNC skate on this one the backlash will be loud and unforgiving. This is their last shot at relevancy, IMO. I just think they have no choice but to come down hard.

FIBA is worse but only because they have the whole world to defile. If the NCAA was given an equal opportunity I'm sure they would do as well as FIBA does in debauchery.

We had lots of folks tell the NCAA to pound salt.