Oakland Game Thread... | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Oakland Game Thread...

Intrigued... Not sure if we're any good or not, but I have my eyebrows raised after these first few games. Guess we can't truly know until we start playing big boys but these mid-majors we scheduled aren't typical cupcakes (from what I've heard bc I have no idea otherwise).

Frank/Tyus look to be a really nice backcourt duo. Add in their freakish defense and it adds another notch to how everyone should view them.

Brissett is really close - If/when he gets the bunnies to drop, he will be the 2nd/3rd option with Howard to help out Battle.

Dolezaj needs to play every minute he can over Moyer. Thorpe (3 guard lineup) needs to be the forward depth to rest MD and OB. I just don't see anything in MM's game that tells me he can provide much of anything right now.

Chukwu/Sidibe is an exciting Center duo. Both can catch/finish and the shot blocking is going to be FUN.

Our defense should be filthy. Our rebounding should be very good. We have an elite level closer who also happens to be one of the best players in the country.

I don’t know what to think. Last year we rolled the cupcakes by 40+ it seemed and then rolled over for any team with a name.

Everyone seems for now to be playing a position that makes sense. Seems like more guys don’t mind making that extra pass, and conversely aren’t afraid to sh0ot when they’re open (see Lydon disappearing in games and passing up countless open looks). I feel better about Frank, but really am looking forward to that Maryland game. If we win that I assume we won’t lose all year.

So how much credit do you think GMac deserves this year. I think we all expected Battle to be good but I don't think anyone expected this level of dominance. And Frank Howard's shooting is so much better... He looks like a different player in my eyes. Seems to me that Gerry did a tremendous job coaching these two up.

So how much credit do you think GMac deserves this year. I think we all expected Battle to be good but I don't think anyone expected this level of dominance. And Frank Howard's shooting is so much better... He looks like a different player in my eyes. Seems to me that Gerry did a tremendous job coaching these two up.
agree but need to wait to see Frank against good teams first

agree but need to wait to see Frank against good teams first

Thing is even if he does struggle against good teams he still has one of the most improved jumpshots I have ever seen. He was horrendous as a Freshman. He has gotten better every year at his shooting. I think that has everything to do with Gerry working on his shot with him. Kinda reminds me of how John Wall improved his shooting but Frank was way worse and improved much faster than Wall

Thing is even if he does struggle against good teams he still has one of the most improved jumpshots I have ever seen. He was horrendous as a Freshman. He has gotten better every year at his shooting. I think that has everything to do with Gerry working on his shot with him. Kinda reminds me of how John Wall improved his shooting but Frank was way worse and improved much faster than Wall
Yeah... Frank is our 2nd best shooter this year. Plan is to have him be the starting 2 guard next year. He could be all ACC as a senior

Yeah... Frank is our 2nd best shooter this year. Plan is to have him be the starting 2 guard next year. He could be all ACC as a senior

He had one shot in the second half from the left side last night that was just fantastic. Received the pass as he was moving quickly to his left, was able to get his feet straight, stop his momentum, then elevate straight up and down and take the shot. It was a thing of beauty. Most shots I see missed are because the shooter is still floating to one side or the other, but he was straight as an arrow. And his arms were in line, elbow tucked really well, and the follow-through was right on. If he can do that in a game situation against the big boys, he's going to do very well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom