Observations - Questions from Northeastern | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Observations - Questions from Northeastern

Good post. All of a result of them playing zone. Good sign for sure how they attacked it most of the time like you said.

We’ll see what happens against better M2M and zone. Whether the ball movement stops and/or the bad habits manifest themselves again.
I'm not quite sure it was all a result of them playing zone - hopefully it is just an adjustment the team is making to improve the offense and will be continued regardless of the opponents' strategy...

on another note - it was good to see the team attack a zone and get the ball into the paint a bit - always makes me wonder when the syracuse offense basically does what the team wants opponents to do on defense - i.e. pass the ball around the perimeter and jack 3's...like, if the team wants opponents jacking 3's and not getting interior touches - then why has that been the team's approach offensively?

Frank's limitations are obvious -- he isn't driving and he lacks the explosive quality we saw last season. JB also notes that his shooting isn't close to what it was over the summer, pre-injury.

Carey's situation is very different. He was 100% at MSG and in many stretches he was our best player. With Frank back (though limited), Carey is learning to be a good sub, and also learning what JB expects him to do as a distributor and play-maker, rather than a scoring guard. Helps Carey's development that Frank isn't playing 36 min/game.

Battle's off night was a benefit to Buddy. He needed the opportunity to score, and took advantage.

Sidibe -- I am not sure we really know whether it is rust. He is moving well, getting up to block shots, but not getting much else done. The center position remains our big issue.

Carey's situation IS different -- I was just pointing out that his injury was poorly timed. Both for the team, in terms of having continuity, and in terms of Carey being able to capitalize more and get force fed an infusion of PT during the preseason that he missed out on.

Carey's situation IS different -- I was just pointing out that his injury was poorly timed. Both for the team, in terms of having continuity, and in terms of Carey being able to capitalize more and get force fed an infusion of PT during the preseason that he missed out on.
I know what you meant. Maybe the team or Carey suffered by the pre-season interval when Carey wasn't practicing, but I have to wonder how much. And whether pre-season remains a real factor at this point in his case or in the team's dynamics. Carey needs to adjust his game, in game situations, to being a distributor as much as a scorer and to being selective in when to seek his own shot.

I know what you meant. Maybe the team or Carey suffered by the pre-season interval when Carey wasn't practicing, but I have to wonder how much. And whether pre-season remains a real factor at this point in his case or in the team's dynamics. Carey needs to adjust his game, in game situations, to being a distributor as much as a scorer and to being selective in when to seek his own shot.

No doubt. And part of that maturation is getting some developmental PT so he can learn, make mistakes, and develop. For a player like Frank, who's played a ton, missing some time doesn't have much impact on his developmental curve. For a player like Jalen, who got injured before even playing a game, time is a perishable good -- he might be a bit further along if he hadn't lost three weeks in the preseason.

Again, I'm not suggesting that things are going to magically transform this team into Duke. But I do think that with Frank at 100%, we might be undefeated. And if Jalen hadn't sustained the bad ankle, he'd be a bit further along, too. Don't forget that he got cleared to play only days before our trip to MSG, and that the experiment with Battle playing point wasn't working.

Just flukish timing / bad luck that we were in a situation where the three point guards on the team were all injured and out at the same time.

Just flukish timing / bad luck that we were in a situation where the three point guards on the team were all injured and out at the same time.
and for an extended time at that - the entire pre-season spent without a single pg to run the offense

a lack of true point guard might mean less layups or alley oops. not a piss poor 3 pt. %.

Surprising that Howard has not shot a FT yet this season, which means he isn't going to the basket as he recovers from his injury. Defenders can play him closer since the driving threat isn't there. And Carey has to hit his FTs. Currently at 67%.

Chukwu is a bit baffling to me...

He ended last season as a tenacious defender who was starting to get his coordination down for quick pass slams and his timing for rebounds and converting purbacks was vastly improved - he was showing signs as a legit D1 center.

This year it's as if his improvement shown last season never happened and he's back to square 1... Poor defensive positions and ill-timed fouls, terribly inconsistent under basket position and jump timing on rebounds, hands like paddles (can't handle post passes.)

He made significant improvements on all this by end of last season... It's like he needs to relearn it all again. Very odd...

Last edited:
the chook (Born: April 15, 1995) is 23+ ? how much more learning do you expect ?

Just because you play in a few games doesn't mean you cant redshirt. I thought the number was if you play in 30% or less of the games you would be eligible, especially since he is coming off an injury I think this is def the plan or at least it should be. The rule is below, he still is eleigble.

A hardship waiver may be granted to those athletes who sustain a major injury while appearing in less than 30% of team competitions, nor can they have participated after the midpoint of a season.
Are you going to orlando? Drinks are on me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom