Obviously, he didn't retire. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Obviously, he didn't retire.

My mom and dad feel like he was wronged. Many of the casual fans I work with thought the same. People I have seasons with think it should have been handled differently. I almost thought it was older people having an issue with it until even one of my buddies who’s been calling for him to be replaced thought it was bush, figure that one out. I’d say it’s pretty split throughout the fan base.

After giving it some time, even I’m starting to think why didn’t Cuse just regroup a day or two and try to give everyone one last chance to do this as a cohesive family. I only know as much as the insiders give us, but while JB is a jerk, it doesn’t mean the university has to be too.

It was big news in the moment, a weird presser from JB, but I think it would have been forgotten by tonight’s games outside of Syracuse.
Because apparently he told the players after the game he retired and Red was taking over.
He knew Red was taking over he should have told the press what he told the players.
This is on Jim for being a je*k. If he didn't want to tell the press he retired, should have said no comment.
Jim caused all the problems.
That doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate his history and the wonderful career he had.
Jim being Jim isn't anything new.

Maybe true. I do not know enough about him.

If all this other side of it is true, I just do not get why JB would choose to exit this way. It does not make much sense.

Hopefully he walks things back and goes all in for Autry.

How much more evidence do we need that JB is kind of a d*** in some aspects of his life? Everything he's done makes sense when you accept that about him.

Doesn't matter. Let Duke do a retirement ceremony for him. Forcing other schools to kneel and kiss the ring was absurd and if K had a modicum of respect and self awareness he wouldn't have done it that way.

Not to mention the holier than thou attitude, checking kids in the handshake line, buying cars for recruits, etc etc. Screw him

Didn't Duke whine that a couple schools didn't bow down far enough?

This is our version of the Montreal Screwjob, but in reality, Boeheim really did screw Boeheim. He could have acted like an adult, instead he chose to act like a petulant child. He's not a victim, everything that happened is based on his choices, and now him and his media lapdogs are gaslighting the University and fans again into thinking he somehow deserved to coach forever. And now he's making a transition hard for a man who has stood by him for 30+ years? I don't want Red as head coach, but man, he deserves better from his mentor.

Edit: I'm going to leave this up because I like the reference. But having read about the press conference now, I'm so happy to have completely overreacted.

Last edited:
K's retirement tour was completely and totally embarrassing by a man whose ego was so out of wack he thought it was deserved.

Would it have been nice if JB said "this is it, I'm retired"? Absolutely. But did you really expect it to happen? And did you really expect it to be this year either?

Do most baseball fans feel that way about Jeter/Rivera/Ortiz's farewell tours?

I don't think the issue with Coach K's farewell tour is actually with the farewell tour itself -its that most of the Syracuse fan base passionately hates the guy and would find fault with anything he did anyway. I've come around on his farewell tour - I hated it...but I LOVED hating it; so in the end it was probably the right way for him to go out. I wouldn't have rooted nearly as hard for UNC in their Final Four game if I wasn't 100% sure ferret-face was done forever if they lost, so it added to the entertainment value for me for sure.

Do most baseball fans feel that way about Jeter/Rivera/Ortiz's farewell tours?

I don't think the issue with Coach K's farewell tour is actually with the farewell tour itself -its that most of the Syracuse fan base passionately hates the guy and would find fault with anything he did anyway. I've come around on his farewell tour - I hated it...but I LOVED hating it; so in the end it was probably the right way for him to go out. I wouldn't have rooted nearly as hard for UNC in their Final Four game if I wasn't 100% sure ferret-face was done forever if they lost, so it added to the entertainment value for me for sure.
Yes, the baseball farewell tours were completely embarrassing as well. Just be an adult and retire at the end of the season. The Jeter one was just as cringeworthy as K's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom