OC candidates for next year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OC candidates for next year...

Illinois offense looks like I would want ours to look. 330 yards in the air 100 yards on the ground and over 26 points per game.
well there you go, looks like we have our next OC if the whole Lester thing doesnt work out.

Illinois offense looks like I would want ours to look. 330 yards in the air 100 yards on the ground and over 26 points per game.
over 26 ppg! whoa nelly!

tomcat illinois has played 6 games, they better be ranked high in total yards

they're 60th in YPG

over 26 ppg! whoa nelly!

tomcat illinois has played 6 games, they better be ranked high in total yards

they're 60th in YPG

And they are ranked 79th in points per game (SU is 119th out of 124). But, Tom is connecting the dots that make the most sense in terms of who SS might be thinking of.

East Carolina (Lincoln Riley OC) is ranked 8th (tied with Oregon) at 43.6 pts/game

And they are ranked 79th in points per game (SU is 119th out of 124). But, Tom is connecting the dots that make the most sense in terms of who SS might be thinking of.

East Carolina (Lincoln Riley OC) is ranked 8th (tied with Oregon) at 43.6 pts/game
eh if tomcat's going to tell people they're wrong, he should try to avoid being wrong

I'll throw a name out there.

Brian Scott, OC for Old Dominion - http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=208409148

The 2013 version of the ODU offense was just as action packed as past groups, as the Monarchs offense finished ranked in the top-10 in the FBS in scoring offense, total offense and passing offense. ODU averaged 42.3 points per game which was seventh in the country and 519 yards per game which was also seventh in the nation. The passing offense averaged 359.4 yards per game and rounded out the year in sixth.

Give me somebody from the Leach tree. It almost makes too much sense to put that offense in a Dome on the East Coast in a high profile league.
YES

Give me somebody from the Leach tree. It almost makes too much sense to put that offense in a Dome on the East Coast in a high profile league.
Did you guys not watch the Boston College/USC game? Northeastern teams are never going to line up 5 wide spread and beat good southern/west coast teams. Do Ohio State or Penn State try to line up 5 wide against the SEC? No, not even they can pull that off.

If Shafer is going to maximize his success as a head coach with defensive prowess and as a head coach for a northeastern team, we're going to have to use a power running game and a lot of play action. That is Syracuse football -- #44, a history of running backs -- not shotgun, pistol, 5 wide.

We're better off recruiting the Custis/Enoicy types that can go up and grab a jump ball 1 on 1 with a smaller DB than we are trying to line up 5 Estime's and just run by DB's from FSU and Clemson all day. Estime might be our burner but on any other ACC team he's just another guy. I love Erv, but have you seen how slow he is on kickoffs!?!? We're also probably a lot better off slowing the game down and huddling before every play. Our skill players on the outside are not as fast/talented as ACC defensive backs, the only thing running hurry up/spread gets us is a tired defense that's on the field all the time. Hiring McDonald/going with spread/hurry-up was a tactical error to begin with. This is Shafer's chance to fix it and showcase his aggressive/blitzing defense. If nothing else, it would be a HUGE improvement just for our offense to not continuously put our defense in bad spots.

Im thinking that since the original "hire my friends" philosophy didnt pan out so well, that he might take a good look at hiring from the outside philosophy.
Unless that's imposed on him from above, I don't see him straying from that philosophy. Could just look at other friends who weren't available at the time and who might be better fits. Cubit's already been mentioned - does anyone on the OP's list (or anywhere else for that matter) have ties with "The Band"? AND relevant experience as an OC?

Did you guys not watch the Boston College/USC game? Northeastern teams are never going to line up 5 wide spread and beat good southern/west coast teams. Do Ohio State or Penn State try to line up 5 wide against the SEC? No, not even they can pull that off.

If Shafer is going to maximize his success as a head coach with defensive prowess and as a head coach for a northeastern team, we're going to have to use a power running game and a lot of play action. That is Syracuse football -- #44, a history of running backs -- not shotgun, pistol, 5 wide.

We're better off recruiting the Custis/Enoicy types that can go up and grab a jump ball 1 on 1 with a smaller DB than we are trying to line up 5 Estime's and just run by DB's from FSU and Clemson all day. Estime might be our burner but on any other ACC team he's just another guy. I love Erv, but have you seen how slow he is on kickoffs!?!? We're also probably a lot better off slowing the game down and huddling before every play. Our skill players on the outside are not as fast/talented as ACC defensive backs, the only thing running hurry up/spread gets us is a tired defense that's on the field all the time. Hiring McDonald/going with spread/hurry-up was a tactical error to begin with. This is Shafer's chance to fix it and showcase his aggressive/blitzing defense. If nothing else, it would be a HUGE improvement just for our offense to not continuously put our defense in bad spots.
I want to make it clear that I'm commenting on your post and not on you as a person:

I disagree with this post with such vehemence that I feel disgusted and ill.

Who was talking about beating teams from the SEC?

Until last year, SU was a power running team playing in a Northern conference. The last time we were ranked in AP preseason top 25 was 1998. Something is not working.

Your point about having talent is a good one and well taken. The trend to the air raid Spread offense of Leach and Mummy was born, in part, to neutralize talent disparity. In theory, it's much easier to find and recruit, for most teams anyway, undresized, fast talented playmakers, than it is to find and recruit the size and strength needed on both lines to compete toe to toe with power programs you are using as a frame of reference.

Who was talking about beating teams from the SEC?

Until last year, SU was a power running team playing in a Northern conference. The last time we were ranked in AP preseason top 25 was 1998. Something is not working.

Your point about having talent is a good one and well taken. The trend to the air raid Spread offense of Leach and Mummy was born, in part, to neutralize talent disparity. In theory, it's much easier to find and recruit, for most teams anyway, undresized, fast talented playmakers, than it is to find and recruit the size and strength needed on both lines to compete toe to toe with power programs you are using as a frame of reference.

You are incorrect and obviously not a fan of statistics. Grob & company ran a west coast offense. McDonald under Shafer the spread. Marrone & company used power running and play action. Who had the most success?

Currently we are far more out-manned on the outside at the skill positions than we are the interior. We are 40th in rushing yards per game and 26th in rush yards per game allowed. We are 91st in passing yards per game and 79th in passing yards per game allowed.

By the way, Leach and your beloved Washington State is 2-4. They are 107th in scoring defense. Their wins are over Portland State and Utah. Their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. Let me repeat that, their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. That's the type of results you want? Their defense is putrid because their offense leaves them in bad spots and often does not chew up a whole ton of clock.

You are incorrect and obviously not a fan of statistics. Grob & company ran a west coast offense. McDonald under Shafer the spread. Marrone & company used power running and play action. Who had the most success?
I am a fan of statistics, and as such would not find it wise to draw conclusions from that sample.

I am a fan of statistics, and as such would not find it wise to draw conclusions from that sample.
Well if you are going to play that card then you obviously did not want McDonald canned because he would have needed at least 4-5 years of sample size to prove he was below average.

A) Ohio State and Penn State don't play in domes. Any advantage cold weather gives us is negated by the fact we play in a dome.

B) Custis had LSU interest. I think we were better off recruiting him no matter the player he was.

C) Erv is slow on kickoffs b/c he takes a second after catching the ball to read the coverage before he starts moving

D) It is insanely more difficult to recruit talented OL then talented WR. Marrone was an exception (since he and Adkins are both high level OL coaches).

E) I don't care what the tradition of a program is. Tradition never won games. Ohio State did line up 5 WR when they had Terrelle Pryor, so there is that... I haven't seen Penn State this year, but knowing Franklin and Hackenberg, I highly doubt they are playing a run first offense (especially since they have 1534 passing yard and 505 rushing yards).

Last edited:
Well if you are going to play that card then you obviously did not want McDonald canned because he would have needed at least 4-5 years of sample size to prove he was below average.
I understand the switch, but I've also been consistent with voicing my comfort to see how this season would play out.

Currently we are far more out-manned on the outside at the skill positions than we are the interior. We are 40th in rushing yards per game and 26th in rush yards per game allowed. We are 91st in passing yards per game and 79th in passing yards per game allowed.

By the way, Leach and your beloved Washington State is 2-4. They are 107th in scoring defense. Their wins are over Portland State and Utah. Their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. Let me repeat that, their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. That's the type of results you want? Their defense is putrid because their offense leaves them in bad spots and often does not chew up a whole ton of clock.

oh, i get it now. you have stats in your user name. I am way over my head here.

btw, i don't really have a license to kill, just in case you were going to try to work that strawman into your "logic" stream, too

A) Ohio State and Penn State don't play in domes. Any advantage cold weather gives us is negated by the fact we play in a dome.

B) Custis had LSU interest. I think we were better off recruiting him no matter the player he was.

C) Erv is slow on kickoffs b/c he takes a second after catching the ball to read the coverage before he starts moving

D) It is insanely more difficult to recruit talented OL then talented WR. Marrone was an exception (since he and Adkins are both high level OL coaches).

E) I don't care what the tradition of a program is. Tradition never won games. Ohio State did line up 5 WR when they had Terrelle Pryor, so there is that... I haven't seen Penn State this year, but knowing Franklin and Hackenberg, I highly doubt they are playing a run first offense (especially since they have 1534 passing yard and 505 rushing yards).

A. It's not the dome, it's the lack of speed in the geographic region. The dome does not make up for that.

B. That's irrelevant, I made an argument on player type, and you made an irrelevant statement about Custis and "interest."

C. Erv is slow on kickoffs because Erv is slow, period. He's quick in tight spaces but he is not a straight line burner.

D. This is also irrelevant. The goal is always to have top notch linemen, who wouldn't want to recruit first rate linemen? The debate was regarding speedy receivers relative to larger, slower receivers.

E. Valid point

Shafer stays and will have to make changes, Riley will be a HC next year.

Wouldn't mind someone who spent some time, but a pure disciple, no thanks. I'll take the Briles/Sumlin variant everyday and twice on Saturday.

2012 Marrone married up his pro pass concepts with college tempo and run game. It worked great. The fact that they went for a Texas QB indicated they were going to go down that road further. They were never going to go air raid, but they were heading for a Baylor type balanced attack with some more sophisticated pro concepts grafted on. That's because they knew they were never going to get a boatload of WR's that were going to beat guys one on one consistently, they were going to need to scheme guys open, which they did a tremendous job of in 2012, once the run game finally kicked into gear.

I'd don't want to see a pure air raid offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom