OC candidates for next year... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

OC candidates for next year...

Wouldn't mind someone who spent some time, but a pure disciple, no thanks. I'll take the Briles/Sumlin variant everyday and twice on Saturday.

Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not looking for a Leach purist either. But, Bob Stoops, Kevin Sumlin (Houston, now at Texas A&M), Mike Leach (Texas Tech, now Washington State) Kevin Wilson (Indiana), Art Briles (Baylor), Sonny Dykes (Louisiana Tech) and West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen, are all from the same tree, all run things a little differently. Riley falls in that category.

They represent the current state of the art in offensive football in college in terms of scoring and productivity. Give me some of that in the perfect conditions of the Dome.

We could get a very good OC if Shafer would just take the reigns of DC and use that salary towards a talented OC.

An Ohio guy... Toledo HC Matt Campbell... He may not be interested in a "demotion" but he's a gifted offensive mind. Young, aggressive guy with a ton of coaching experience.

You are incorrect and obviously not a fan of statistics. Grob & company ran a west coast offense. McDonald under Shafer the spread. Marrone & company used power running and play action. Who had the most success?

Currently we are far more out-manned on the outside at the skill positions than we are the interior. We are 40th in rushing yards per game and 26th in rush yards per game allowed. We are 91st in passing yards per game and 79th in passing yards per game allowed.

By the way, Leach and your beloved Washington State is 2-4. They are 107th in scoring defense. Their wins are over Portland State and Utah. Their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. Let me repeat that, their losses include Nevada and Rutgers. That's the type of results you want? Their defense is putrid because their offense leaves them in bad spots and often does not chew up a whole ton of clock.
MCD ran more plays with triple option component than he did pure spread em and let er fly.

We could get a very good OC if Shafer would just take the reigns of DC and use that salary towards a talented OC.
Make him and Daust co coordinator

A. It's not the dome, it's the lack of speed in the geographic region. The dome does not make up for that.

B. That's irrelevant, I made an argument on player type, and you made an irrelevant statement about Custis and "interest."

C. Erv is slow on kickoffs because Erv is slow, period. He's quick in tight spaces but he is not a straight line burner.

D. This is also irrelevant. The goal is always to have top notch linemen, who wouldn't want to recruit first rate linemen? The debate was regarding speedy receivers relative to larger, slower receivers.

E. Valid point

Plenty of speed in the region. Whether its football usable is another story. The point is, most of these cold weather teams that pound the ball play outside where it is harder for a QB to throw.

Because Custis would be recruited no matter what the team is looking to do at WR b/c the kid is a stud.

Erv has breakaway speed. Just watch him on kickoffs. Always waits a second, which allows the coverage to get deeper and he can never get going in a straight line.

It all comes down to what you are trying to get. Marrone and Adkins were better at identifying and developing OL then this staff. Given GMc's background, he is better at getting WR's. So you have to develop schemes to fit your evaluation strengths. Does anyone really want slow WR's? It comes down to which trait you value more and I am in the field of valuing the speed, especially when playing indoors. I have never understood pursuing the slow WR's. All about speed nowadays.

In regards to OC, I think fans are focused on names that will never come here. Cubit is probably the guy. But, if it isn't Cubit, its going to be a reach unless we open up the pocketbooks.

Ishmael, Custis, Enoicy will be a big upside over West, Flemming, willingness to actually block, also can't teach size. They just need time, which if the staff is smart starts now. You can have 4 wide outs, and Parris at tight end, with Ashton, or Estime, Ishmael, Custis, Enoicy. Three of those guys are tight end size, for added blocking, at the point of attack. You can run the spread, with a blend of power running, creating mismatches, and getting down field blocking we don't get now. The offensive scheme isn't wrong, its the present people we have on the field, who don't have the skill to execute the system.

baggerbob said:
Ishmael, Custis, Enoicy will be a big upside over West, Flemming, willingness to actually block, also can't teach size. They just need time, which if the staff is smart starts now. You can have 4 wide outs, and Parris at tight end, with Ashton, or Estime, Ishmael, Custis, Enoicy. Three of those guys are tight end size, for added blocking, at the point of attack. You can run the spread, with a blend of power running, creating mismatches, and getting down field blocking we don't get now. The offensive scheme isn't wrong, its the present people we have on the field, who don't have the skill to execute the system.

West has had a fine year.

It will be interesting to see how Lester works out his last season at elmhurst as head coach and OC they had 5000+ yes of total offense and over 31 ppg ...

over 26 ppg! whoa nelly!

tomcat illinois has played 6 games, they better be ranked high in total yards

they're 60th in YPG

Illinois has played: Youngstown St, Western Kentucky, Washington, Texas St, Nebraska and Purdue. Seriously, what if SU played that crappy schedule, would we even be talking about this change?

Illinois has played: Youngstown St, Western Kentucky, Washington, Texas St, Nebraska and Purdue. Seriously, what if SU played that crappy schedule, would we even be talking about this change?
why in the world would we hire an 60 year old offensive coordinator whose major college offenses have blown dead bears?

this guy was the offensive coordinator at rutgers in 2002 when they were dead last in the country with 214 yards per game

in 2003, he went to stanford and they were 113th in the country

in 2004, they were 95th in the country

why is anyone talking about bill cubit? i don't care what illinois does, we want to be smarter than illinois, don't we?

why in the world would we hire an 60 year old offensive coordinator whose major college offenses have blown dead bears?

this guy was the offensive coordinator at rutgers in 2002 when they were dead last in the country with 214 yards per game

in 2003, he went to stanford and they were 113th in the country

in 2004, they were 95th in the country

why is anyone talking about bill cubit? i don't care what illinois does, we want to be smarter than illinois, don't we?

but but but he and HCSS go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back. Sittin around campfires, rememberin the Alamo!!

but but but he and HCSS go WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY back. Sittin around campfires, rememberin the Alamo!!
it boggles my mind that anyone could think "we might need a new offensive coordinator. I KNOW, let's get guy the guy who coached rutgers when they were 1-11 and played his son and scored 13 ppg"

He's not ready to do that yet. Still learning the HC side of things.

Kevin Rogers
Verrrrrrrrry interesting.
arte_johnson1.jpg

We have a new coordinator this week, lets give him 7 games and see if he can prove worthy of the job, geeze. Also lets realize that with regard to this week, I am not sure Steve Spurrier could get us 17 points

We have a new coordinator this week, lets give him 7 games and see if he can prove worthy of the job, geeze. Also lets realize that with regard to this week, I am not sure Steve Spurrier could get us 17 points
Of course, but it is fun to speculate time.

To the guy complaining about the type of results Leach has at Washington State this year: Look at their roster and also realize that Washington State was a bigger rebuild job than Syracuse.

To the guy complaining about the type of results Leach has at Washington State this year: Look at their roster and also realize that Washington State was a bigger rebuild job than Syracuse.
marrone is a savior but leach is just a weird gimmick. texas tech who?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom