Odd starting time for SU-Duke game? | Syracusefan.com

Odd starting time for SU-Duke game?

SUintheVille

Former 'Blue Light Special' Announcer
Apologies if this was addressed in another thread.

I find it a bit odd that such a huge game and one that's the College GameDay game will start at 630 pm et. Normally, these games are the 9 pm game, drawing a larger national audience. Even early games normally start at 7 pm, not 630. Must be a scheduling thing with ESPN, but still find it awkward. Anyone else think so?

The smartest thing the schedulers could have done was make this game next weekend.

National sports media are barely aware its happening. The two all-time winningest coaches facing off for the first time as ACC opponents, a 20-0 SU team that's #2 in the country with the ACC preseason POY and a preternaturally gifted PG verus a perennial powerhouse that was preseason final four favorite with arguably the most skilled frosh since Carmelo?

This should have had a weeklong run up and the weekend after the StupidBowl would have been perfect and needs something to fill the void. Seriously, who gives a if Marshawn Lynch doesn't want to talk to the media? I've seen more airtime devoted to that than SU vs Duke.

Last edited:
ESPN hasn't skimped on the hype and in a college season where there aren't a lot of compelling stories (yet) I think this game really stands out. I can tell you the entire state of North Carolina is interested and most folks see it as an ACC vs. Big East invader showdown. With the large number of northerners, esp. New Yorkers, moving to the South this is a pretty compelling script.

i agree 630 is dumb. probably the most hyped regular season game of the year and it starts at a weird time that games never start at.

Yep. Every commercial break on the ESPN3 Wake stream was hyping and advertising the game as well.

knicks-heat should be 630 and cuse-duke at 9. do people really give a stuff about the nba this time of year? its the dog days, just waiting for the playoffs.

Literally anytime ive watched ESPN, whether its SportsCenter or a CBB game this week, the Syracuse/Duke game has been brought up.

knicks-heat should be 630 and cuse-duke at 9. do people really give a stuff about the nba this time of year? its the dog days, just waiting for the playoffs.
People will definitely watch Knicks/Heat.

ESPN couldnt have asked for a better set up than Cuse/Duke at Syracuse and then 4 hours south, Knicks/Heat at MSG the day before the Super Bowl at MetLife.

People will definitely watch Knicks/Heat.

ESPN couldnt have asked for a better set up than Cuse/Duke at Syracuse and then 4 hours south, Knicks/Heat at MSG the day before the Super Bowl at MetLife.

When I get home from the game I will be watching the replay of the game.

You might argue that being on Superbowl weekend, will keep even more people tuned into ESPN.

Couldn't agree more. Regular season NBA games are meaningless...nobody cares.

i agree 630 is dumb. probably the most hyped regular season game of the year and it starts at a weird time that games never start at.
Can you explain to us what difference a half hour makes?

Might be tough to compare but I bet more people will watch the Miami-Knicks game than would watch the SU game.
ESPN also probably feels like they have to be more accommodating to the NBA anyway. (just a hunch, but they have a television deal coming up soon)

Couldn't agree more. Regular season NBA games are meaningless...nobody cares.
Although a agree with you, fans of pro-basketball (often the people that live in pro sports cities) say the same thing about college basketball.