Oddly, this was probably Dino's worst game management | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oddly, this was probably Dino's worst game management

It was a bad move no doubt.

But again compounded by a missed chippy and a boneheaded play by Bear to try and run with that blocked extra point.

I thought the game plan was absolutely excellent today on both sides of the ball. We had some poor player execution on two explosive VA Tech plays out of the secondary (safety was sucked in and gave up his responsibility twice).

Offense was great. Really like the development we are seeing out of the passing game.

Again, one bad decision (and potentially a player could have totally screwed that pooch by not listening, we’ll see) absolutely compounded by a missed chipped and an earlier senior boneheaded play.
I don't think I have said one word about Dino's ability to coach a football team in the last 6 years. other than his game management. And it is worse than you suggest. The use of his two timeouts at the end of the first half were ... I can't even say. Yes, it was compounded by the missed FG which he had nothing to do with. But we should have run two plays down there and we didn't.

Because if it ever gets returned for 2 its a fg game. If you give up.a td in 19 seconds you should be fired anyway.
Maybe you didn't notice but that did happen on the kicked extra pt. The obvious move is to go for 2. it isn't a question. everything else said about it is just spin.

He’s made mistakes but he is the coach that made the hard choice to replace his hand picked QB without that choice we are losing all these games by 10-20 points EASY
Coaches do that all the time. It’s part of their job. Does Oklahoma coach get a star on his annual report because he benched Rattler?

Coaches do that all the time. It’s part of their job. Does Oklahoma coach get a star on his annual report because he benched Rattler?
Just saying give the man credit when he does something tonight.
Look I CLEARLY know you hate Dino and will have something anti-Dino tee’d up.
just enjoy the win and you can give me hell about Dino later :p
And yes OU coach keeps his damn job for making the change

Maybe you didn't notice but that did happen on the kicked extra pt. The obvious move is to go for 2. it isn't a question. everything else said about it is just spin.
The odds are better of having a 2 PT play being returned are better than an extra PT. The fact it happened in the first half is a blight on our staff. With 19 seconds left the game should be over. 4 5 or 6 makes no difference.

The odds are better of having a 2 PT play being returned are better than an extra PT. The fact it happened in the first half is a blight on our staff. With 19 seconds left the game should be over. 4 5 or 6 makes no difference.
makes a big difference . There isn't a top knotch coach in the country that would have kicked the extra pt. Not one. teams do score with 19 seconds left. 5 doesn't help you at all. If you are going to take your approach, just fall on the ball. 4 or 5 is the same.

Watching the game now. I cannot understand the time out sequence at the end of the half. Why would you call consecutive time outs when 1 yard out. DB should just go into the locker room a minute before each half and let GS call the plays.

pretty simple. We got it to the 1 or 2 and lined up when for some reason Jackson ran in the field. Dino went streaking down the sideline screaming for a TO to avoid a penalty.

Agreed, I was furious with him. Felt we were unprepared for this game as well. And the going for it in our own end with that much time left was a slap in the face to our D, not to mention reckless. So glad we stole this one though.
Our punting was mostly awful today. I think that decision says more about his faith in our special teams than our defense.

I don't think I have said one word about Dino's ability to coach a football team in the last 6 years. other than his game management. And it is worse than you suggest. The use of his two timeouts at the end of the first half were ... I can't even say. Yes, it was compounded by the missed FG which he had nothing to do with. But we should have run two plays down there and we didn't.
he had to use the 2nd TO didnt he?

makes a big difference . There isn't a top knotch coach in the country that would have kicked the extra pt. Not one. teams do score with 19 seconds left. 5 doesn't help you at all. If you are going to take your approach, just fall on the ball. 4 or 5 is the same.
6 doesn't help you much either the odds of a missed pat are like 2 or 3 pct if that. Nick Saban is kicking the pat there. If you give up a td with 19 seconds you deserve to lose.

6 doesn't help you much either the odds of a missed pat are like 2 or 3 pct if that. Nick Saban is kicking the pat there. If you give up a td with 19 seconds you deserve to lose.
LOL there isn't a chance in hell that Saban is kicking the extra pt there. We can end this right here because if you can't recognize the difference between 6 and 5, there is no use talking about it. There is no advantage to be up 5.

so we should try and quickly run the play instead of calling a TO and getting set and running a good play?
So, you think he managed the last 10 seconds well. Let's leave it at that.

LOL there isn't a chance in hell that Saban is kicking the extra pt there. We can end this right here because if you can't recognize the difference between 6 and 5, there is no use talking about it. There is no advantage to be up 5.
Nick Saban isn't worrying about his defense giving up a td with 19 seconds. There is very little difference between being up 5 or 6 the odds of a missed pat are like 2 pct. 6 or 7 100 pct you go for 2.

Nick Saban isn't worrying about his defense giving up a td with 19 seconds. There is very little difference between being up 5 or 6 the odds of a missed pat are like 2 pct. 6 or 7 100 pct you go for 2.
let's go with that. then it was a mistake not to just fall on the ball. right? 5 doesn't help you anymore than 4 and you totally take the 2 out of play. So you think that was his mistake?

let's go with that. then it was a mistake not to just fall on the ball. right? 5 doesn't help you anymore than 4 and you totally take the 2 out of play. So you think that was his mistake?
You could im just saying when you score the td the odds of winning are 99 pct. It shouldn't even been a concern of giving up a td. You have a struggling kicker you don't want him to know you've lost faith in him.

You could im just saying when you score the td the odds of winning are 99 pct. It shouldn't even been a concern of giving up a td. You have a struggling kicker you don't want him to know you've lost faith in him.
LOL It has nothing to do with that.

Agreed. That would have been the most logical thing to do to be 100% on the safe side.

I guess Shrader may or may not have been dead at that point. If Tommy stuck around he would've been great to hit the deck behind the LOS.

he had to use the 2nd TO didnt he?
No the thing to do in that situation was just let them call the penalty and save your TO. You were on the one a [enalty would still have left you in position to score.