offense is 98th in the country in yards per play | Syracusefan.com

offense is 98th in the country in yards per play

Millhouse

Living Legend
every year but 2012 post gerg is in the 80s or worse

this is an easy offense to run the ball in. it is unbelievable how bad we are at running the ball. how was there not some grad transfer?

get pierre in now

guess who leads the country in games with 10+ carries for <= 4 ypc since last year
Player Game Finder Query Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

this is getting weird that he gets carries
It's weird, because there are times you can see why he's a great football player. Usually that's happening on passes out of the backfield though. I think receiving the handoff with two yards to make a decision, and six guys trying to tackle you takes a different type of mental processing than catching a swing pass, and having one guy five yards in front of you.

He has had some nice jukes, but it's always out in space. Learning where to cut at a moment's notice to gain five yards instead of two is much more difficult. He doesn't have that kind of vision. The spots are there, he's just not finding them.

The offensive line isn't creating the holes necessary for the run game to produce. It is a wash this year hoping that we see it improve. Next year it has to.

It's weird, because there are times you can see why he's a great football player. Usually that's happening on passes out of the backfield though. I think receiving the handoff with two yards to make a decision, and six guys trying to tackle you takes a different type of mental processing than catching a swing pass, and having one guy five yards in front of you.

He has had some nice jukes, but it's always out in space. Learning where to cut at a moment's notice to gain five yards instead of two is much more difficult. He doesn't have that kind of vision. The spots are there, he's just not finding them.
He should be at wr or on defense if we have a glut of wr

The offensive line isn't creating the holes necessary for the run game to produce. It is a wash this year hoping that we see it improve. Next year it has to.

The more i watch i'm not so sure about this. There was a play on Saturday where Elmore went in motion and kicked out the left defensive end. The LT slanted down. They opened up a HUGE hole. Strickland took the hand and with his head down went straight ahead into the pile. Seeing how Elmore kicked out the left End there is no way that Strickland did what he was supposed to which was to run through the giant hole on the left side.

Two other times I vividly remember he had BIG holes to run through and didn't see them. He has tunnel vision.

I'm perplexed at the coaching staff to continue to go with him as the back. My only thought is that Perkins or Pierre have ball security issues in practice. Both are better natural runners.

every year but 2012 post gerg is in the 80s or worse

this is an easy offense to run the ball in. it is unbelievable how bad we are at running the ball. how was there not some grad transfer?

get pierre in now

If you remove the MTSU game, the number makes more sense. 6.01 is on par with NC State and in the 40's. That's also in line with where we are with scoring per game (MTSU included): 35 per game, #46. NC State is #45.

Now you can't do that, we played them and put up that really bad couple of Q's.

Flipside
Scoring D
2016: #120
2017: #50

Yards per Play allowed
2016: #124
2017: #40

If this O can hit another gear, which remains to be seen sans running game, hmm?

guess who leads the country in games with 10+ carries for <= 4 ypc since last year
Player Game Finder Query Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

this is getting weird that he gets carries

Jordan+Fredericks+Boston+College+v+Syracuse+nbB-x4PPzZrl.jpg

The more i watch i'm not so sure about this. There was a play on Saturday where Elmore went in motion and kicked out the left defensive end. The LT slanted down. They opened up a HUGE hole. Strickland took the hand and with his head down went straight ahead into the pile. Seeing how Elmore kicked out the left End there is no way that Strickland did what he was supposed to which was to run through the giant hole on the left side.

Two other times I vividly remember he had BIG holes to run through and didn't see them. He has tunnel vision.

I'm perplexed at the coaching staff to continue to go with him as the back. My only thought is that Perkins or Pierre have ball security issues in practice. Both are better natural runners.

Ball security equals job security.

We've scored 140 points in 4 games so far and the NCAA stats says we are 61st. at 30 p.p.g. lol at the math majors they hire as we are at 35 a game and should be in 34th place which is good but can you believe them?

College Football Stats - College FB Team Points per Game on TeamRankings.com

Just a heads up. The website you reference only calculates games vs. FBS opponents (some argue it's a better measure for statistical analysis) and is correct at 30 ppg vs. that competition (90 pts. in 3 games).

I am not a football coach, so my question is to the football coaches. At the college level, depending on blocking schemes, is the rb coach teaching hole discipline?(telling kids to trust the linemen to open the hole where it is supposed to be and you run to that spot). Or is it more wherever something opens? I am guessing it depends on blocking schemes but was curious. I wonder if part of the reason why you don't see Strickland go through other gaps is because the coaches want him to run to the play.

D

Dcuse and I both have noticed from seats in the dome that he makes wrong decisions on runs and misses chunks of yardage.

I don't think he makes any decisions. He just lowers his head and runs into the pile.

When they throw out to him in the flat, then he has to try to make someone miss because he's out in space.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that. I feel like we had the same thoughts about what sounds like the same exact plays. Obviously not having a head in a helmet sometimes it's easier for us to see things but I don't think some of these holes are rocket science. He's just not making the correct split second decision.

I think this is the problem too. Other RPO offenses , when opting for the run, create gaping holes at the Los. Not every top 25 team has a top back.

wasnt he the one who got the ball out in the flat and tried cutting like 4 times to gain a yd when just running straight would have gained 7-8? maybe it was Neal i forget

Is it Strickland or is it a terrible run scheme? I see no creativity when they hand the ball off. It's just run it up the gut with "running backs" who look more like wide receivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom