Offense or Defense? | Syracusefan.com

Offense or Defense?

Which side do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Football season is fast (not fast enough) approaching so figured I'd get some chatter going.

Obviously we all love when the entire team does well but which side of the ball do you cheer harder for? Scoring points are great but I've always been a defense first guy. I'd rather a have or defense demoralize opposition for 4 quarters and only score 20 points vs get in a shoot out full of defensive mishaps.

What say you Orangemen (and ladies)? Pick your favorite child, offense or defense?

I'm a defense first guy. You always have a chance to win if you can keep the opposition out of the end zone. You can't always count on winning shootouts. All great teams have exceptional defenses. I thought the '87 team was one of the best I saw. I was not following the team in '59 but that was the gold standard. Of course both of those teams had great offenses but would never had the success they had without a smothering D.

Offense! Nothing more beautiful than a perfectly executed post pattern to the corner of the endzone!!!

Can't really answer, I mean, I just want both to dominate obviously.

But my preference for this program is to be more dominant on offense. It's a better X factor for a program like Syracuse, given that we're not a heavyweight in talent rich location, given our home games are played indoors, and given that it just sells more tickets in this town.

In today's college football, just about any defense can be scored upon. The examples of domination are rare.

That's the good thing about Shafer. He's a defensive minded guy who played QB. So he'll focus on making both work. There are head coaches who clearly favor the side they know, and it shows in their team's performance on both sides of the ball.

Can't really answer, I mean, I just want both to dominate obviously.

But my preference for this program is to be more dominant on offense. It's a better X factor for a program like Syracuse, given that we're not a heavyweight in talent rich location, given our home games are played indoors, and given that it just sells more tickets in this town.

In today's college football, just about any defense can be scored upon. The examples of domination are rare.

That's the good thing about Shafer. He's a defensive minded guy who played QB. So he'll focus on making both work. There are head coaches who clearly favor the side they know, and it shows in their team's performance on both sides of the ball.
I agree with that, for our program to be successful we need an exciting offense. But in terms of what I enjoy watching more, it's a stalwart defensive performance. Nothing better than seeing our D swarming. I love holding opposing rushers to 50 yards on 17 carries

I agree with that, for our program to be successful we need an exciting offense. But in terms of what I enjoy watching more, it's a stalwart defensive performance. Nothing better than seeing our D swarming. I love holding opposing rushers to 50 yards on 17 carries

I hear you. That's what I like about Shafer's defensive style. It's all downhill and attack.

Even though the Dome was half empty, Rutgers 2009 was one of the best games I've ever attended. I've been following since 1991, and outside of Freeney's one man wrecking crew games, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that defense that day.

I'm with you 100%--feel exactly the same way.

And like you, I recognize that offense wins in college ball.

CanadianSU post: 1095374 said:
Offense! Nothing more beautiful than a perfectly executed post pattern to the corner of the endzone!!!

Technically thats a corner route brother. Post routes go towards the uprights (post) but both are great to watch.

rob-hair.jpg

Defense. I would watch Bromley 80% of the time. Just eating up guys, getting held, destroying QB's.

Also appreciate big blindside sacks from LB's. Better than a TD... Esp forcing a fumble as a result. Last UCONN game in the dome comes to mind :).

I love blitzing and getting after the QB. Its much easier for QBs to throw when they don't hear footsteps- see Geno and Tom Savage. Although I give Savage all the credit for that Pitt win last year. In the age of offense the defense can still set the tone. Look no further than the super bowl last year.

When i played high school ball I played both ways and I loved defense way better and that has carried over to my non-playing days. Besides "Defense wins championships".

I have become accustomed over the past decade to rooting for defense but I am thinking Hunt will gives of lots of good reason to cheer for the O this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom