OFfensive line for 2014 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OFfensive line for 2014

PJ Batten is who the staff thought he was breaks into TE rotation

I am hearing Batten has been switched to LB and Moore to OT.

If that's true then I bet Custis ends up at TE.

I'm calling it...Moore redshirts and moves to OT. Coaches communicate to him that's his NFL position.

Need to hear more about this.

I predict the line will be Hickey, Foy, Trudo, Robinson, Lasker. That's your best 5 players.

Get what you're saying, but I don't really think typical applies anymore. Provo is more likely going to play the role of what Clay Cleveland played. This staff (except the likes of Shafer) didn't really recruit Provo either. Moore came in knowing that there was a pretty good chance he would be moving to the line.

With Mcdonald's offense wanting to be spread out so much more, that typical TE we had to help with blocking isn't really needed anymore. It's the same reason why I believe Morris will be so much more effective in this offensive scheme. While as good as Jerome was, he wasn't the type of back McDonald wants to use. There's a big reason why we kept going into formations that showed 4 or 5 wide, diamond formations for the receivers, and spread packages. It was to show the recruits (Steve, Jamal, Erv, etc) what the offense is going to look like when they get the speed guys they want.

spot on. all of it.

I agree about Provo's possible role as a blocking FB. As for the rest, we will see, but I don't buy your reasoning.

We went to those spread packages because McDonald wanted to win 6 games and make a bowl (not to showcase for any recruits). We ran Smith between the tackles for 900 yards (usually with a blocking TE) because you want that inside game to keep the defense honest.

It was this staff that gave Moore his chance at TE, and gave Parris the opportunities.

Moore played only because he had to. As JB said he just doesn't fit into the type of TE's we are recruiting, and offense we are running. Our TE was basically non existent for large stretches of the season. I have no doubt Moore is moving to OL. That's where they always wanted him, and why we only recruited 1 OT.

I agree about Provo's possible role as a blocking FB. As for the rest, we will see, but I don't buy your reasoning.

We went to those spread packages because McDonald wanted to win 6 games and make a bowl (not to showcase for any recruits). We ran Smith between the tackles for 900 yards (usually with a blocking TE) because you want that inside game to keep the defense honest.

It was this staff that gave Moore his chance at TE, and gave Parris the opportunities.

Did the staff have any of the options they will have at TE this year, last year? Parris and Moore played ok at TE but were essentially non-existent outside of 15-20 plays. I would bet a lot that this years offense looks completely different from last years offense.

Moore played only because he had to. As JB said he just doesn't fit into the type of TE's we are recruiting, and offense we are running. Our TE was basically non existent for large stretches of the season. I have no doubt Moore is moving to OL. That's where they always wanted him, and why we only recruited 1 OT.
When you observed "non-existent" did you see that Wales or Parris was in the formation & blocking for the majority of the plays?
Fair statement -- we used a traditional TE as much as usual; we just didn't throw to them as much.
As to how we are recruiting, we don't need to land a blocking TE -- we already have two. And yet we had offers out to several traditional TEs. So, you are reading too much into the fact that the only one who had any mutual interest was Enoicy.

Last edited:
Did the staff have any of the options they will have at TE this year, last year? Parris and Moore played ok at TE but were essentially non-existent outside of 15-20 plays. I would bet a lot that this years offense looks completely different from last years offense.

Sure -- they had the option of using Broyld as a TE; they had Batten. But they used Wales, Parris & Moore as traditional TEs -- mostly for blocking.
Again, you seem to be using "non-existent" when you mean they were blocking on running plays and not often the primary target.

...I'm not sold on Emerich as the guy who emerges at center next year. I happened to meet him and Nick Robinson just before the Texas Bowl and he's a small kid...much smaller than a typical BCS center and way smaller than his listed measurables. I remember he subbed in for Mackey for a few snaps and I thought he displayed good quickness coming off the snap but he seemed physically outmatched and if I remember correctly he had one set out of the shotgun where he snapped the ball high and sent the ball over Hunt's head. I certainly won't maintain that a few reps like that define any player, I'm just not convinced that he or Shanley (other C listed on the roster) are viable options without massive leaps in development.

Funny (ironic) to think that Macky's replacement would fall short in the measurables.

Just to reiterate something established in another threads, from this time forward the offensive line as a unit shall be referred to as "The Dinobots."

Must have missed that thread. Why?

Funny (ironic) to think that Macky's replacement would fall short in the measurables.

Ironic indeed. I don't want to count Jason out...I grew up down there in NE PA where he's from. We played Schuylkill Haven every year and I always thought those kids were the meanest and toughest SOB's around. I don't doubt his pedigree or his potential. I was just surprised by his size when I met him in person. You expect that there's going to be a little puffing on the roster when guys are listed, and maybe I'm wrong about him being way off his listed measurables, and no...measurables aren't everything either...

At the end of the day it's a point of intense interest, as so much of our offensive success this past year hinged on our line. Yes, we lose a hell of a center, a guy most people dismissed exactly because of his size. But it's not hard to feel good about having a very solid foundation to build from next year, no matter who ends up filling those shoes or what the combination ends up being.

Come on man, lighten up. So serious sometimes.

I've seen him laugh and drink and drink and laugh. Several times.

But I think that might have all been before a man named Greg Robinson was introduced to my life.

Speaking of which, there's a picture surfacing somewhere on the interwebs, with Monte Kiffin's 1980 (or 82?0 NC State staff wearing the bright red pants. A brown haired Gerg and giant toothed Pete Carroll are featured.

Somebody suggested it. I found it funny. As arbiter I made the magic happen.

Ah...but what does it mean?
Wait, forget it. I got off my a&% and googled "dinobots" and I get it now. Sorry, it's been a while since I had little kids. Had you said, "We were considering calling them GI Joes, but thought Dinobots seemed more current, I would have got it on the first pass. My apologies.

Ah...but what does it mean?
Wait, forget it. I got off my a&% and googled "dinobots" and I get it now. Sorry, it's been a while since I had little kids. Had you said, "We were considering calling them GI Joes, but thought Dinobots seemed more current, I would have got it on the first pass. My apologies.
This in my opinion is a Hall of Fame post, because it demonstrates that in the year 2014 getting off my a&% can be legitimately defined as googling "dinobots."

This in my opinion is a Hall of Fame post, because it demonstrates that in the year 2014 getting off my a&% can be legitimately defined as googling "dinobots."

Good point. For the record, I never really got off my a&% at all. I was, however, forced to move several fingers and move my eyeballs from side to side a few times. I'm exhausted.

BeglMbDIYAAcHWV.jpg

I think the starting Dinobots next year will be...I don't think they tinker much, just plug the spot as the talent and cohesion is already there.

LT Hickey - Grimlock
LG TRudo - Slag
C Emerich or Miller (either on will be Sludge)
RG Robinson - Snarl
RT Foy - Swoop

I think Foy deserves the name Swoop simply by the GIF that shows him running behind the goalposts, he looks very Swoopish there. Can anyone post it?

Parris had a stellar year at tight end.

Alex Hayes is my darkhorse along the line.