Offensively we are better this year compared to last year | Syracusefan.com

Offensively we are better this year compared to last year

2-3zone

2nd String
Yet we continue to hear about our slow pace on offense but production wise our numbers say differently

This year Last Year
71.5 PPG 70.4 PPG
46 FG% 43.9 FG%
35 3pt% 33.4 3pt%
69.3 FT% 67.5 FT%
+5.2 Rebounds +3.5 Rebounds
9.5 TO/G 12.4 TO/G

I think the way other teams play us now(Slow down, use the entire clock) is the biggest factor in our pace of play numbers

2-3zone said:
Yet we continue to hear about our slow pace on offense but production wise our numbers say differently This year Last Year 71.5 PPG 70.4 PPG 46 FG% 43.9 FG% 35 3pt% 33.4 3pt% 69.3 FT% 67.5 FT% +5.2 Rebounds +3.5 Rebounds 9.5 TO/G 12.4 TO/G I think the way other teams play us now(Slow down, use the entire clock) is the biggest factor in our pace of play numbers

Better yes, but it's very very close. What about the defensive difference? I gather a slight margins towards last years team making these teams pretty close to each other.

Yet we continue to hear about our slow pace on offense but production wise our numbers say differently

This year Last Year
71.5 PPG 70.4 PPG
46 FG% 43.9 FG%
35 3pt% 33.4 3pt%
69.3 FT% 67.5 FT%
+5.2 Rebounds +3.5 Rebounds
9.5 TO/G 12.4 TO/G

I think the way other teams play us now(Slow down, use the entire clock) is the biggest factor in our pace of play numbers

because we have only played 6 conf games :crazy:

When our jumpshooting gets hot for even a quarter of the game we usually finish shooting around 45 percent that is good news, and thats even with cooney or fair having a not so good shooting night.

CJ has been shooting alot of 5-13 6-13/14s this year if he ever gets hot and starts shooting 7/12-13's off the dribble he looks like a true nba talent. I imagine thats a personal challenge to himself right now. Rough game for him against miami hes learning its harder to attack the rim in transition from the perimeter then the high post, hes been blocked a few times trying that this year, and hes still a beast and our team leader. Hope he continues to watch footage to upgrade his shooting percentages.

Last edited:
Better yes, but it's very very close. What about the defensive difference? I gather a slight margins towards last years team making these teams pretty close to each other.
I think being very very close is a very very good sign. We don't fast-break this year. And we are still scoring about the same as last year. That tells me our half-court offense is light-years ahead of recent years. That will come in very handy during the tournament.

Ken Pom says it isn't very close; scoring nearly 10 more points per 100 possessions than last year.

because we have only played 6 conf games :crazy:

This. And we made some relatively weak ACC teams look pretty good for stretches. If we compare conference play, I'd say last year's was better. Of course we got a more average OOC schedule(compared to other big schools, not very average for us) with less cupcakes, which may balance the cupcakes we're squeaking by in the ACC. Meanwhile, teams like Duke or pit recently racked up 30 point wins. I realize some close wins are good for experience, but if you do it to often you're playing with fire, especially with our limited depth. To their credit, so far this team has done what is has to, playing to the level of competition, but some of our formerly big wins have come against teams who have since shown they weren't as strong as we thought them to be. Duke will give a better measure, as will any road games played in a hostile environment for the first time this year.

Is there a way to compare SOS through this many games in previous years?

Yeah, I'm trying to prevent myself from disappointment as who knows what other very good/great Syracuse teams people will find a way to compare that for some reason benefits the image of the current team. Then my expectations will get high. And most of us know what usually happens after that.

Last edited:
We are better this year not in transition but otherwise.
Better chemistry.
We atleast almost equal our shooting on the perimeter this year . With Ennis, Fair and Cooney.

On top of that we have two midrange guys in cj and Grant, plus Rak is starting to come along. Thats three post scorers this year vs 1 last year.

Also,
MCW may have come the furthest of any nba player ever from the beginning of his soph year to where he is now. MCW didn't have his midrange for 3/4 of last year. He only scored at the rim and with the occasional 3 and in transition for the first 3/4 of the season. Ennis has, and he also has the ability to hesitate in the lane to make a play that we didn't have from mcw last year.

We are light years ahead of last years team at getting good shots in the half court which is were you butter your bread in the NCAAT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom