Official HELL TO THE VICTORS SU/UM game thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Official HELL TO THE VICTORS SU/UM game thread

I think they showed alot of progress, however, that was a pretty crappy way to end it. This Syracuse team is going to be dangerous in a couple of months.

Serious question: does Joseph have any idea what he is doing with the ball? Any sort of plan of action?

No and when I pointed out that he's been horrific last week obv I was told it was rubbish

JB needed to call a timeout after that second rebound. You can't trust a freshman point guard in that spot without a play set up. JB deserves some blame here.

Typical though. He didnt call time out either when we turned it over what seemed like 6 times in a row.

Joseph isn't good enough to play forty minutes... Simple as that. End of discussion. Why he played forty minutes... Hands down on defense while guys drill threes.. Give the guy a break Jim.. He isn't irreplaceable

iommi said:
JB needed to call a timeout after that second rebound. You can't trust a freshman point guard in that spot without a play set up. JB deserves some blame here.

This! That was an awful decision.

Definitely needed a timeout. Still, that was not impressive.

Cooney finally seemed to hit a few shots and KJ2 lost us the game. That's my only reactions. goodnight love you all

Agreed. If mike g has the ball maybe you let him attack. That hurt. We only needed a 2 pt bucket and needed a plan .

I am very proud of this team...they were down by ten and fought back. Turnovers hurt a lot, but this is a relatively young team and definitely inexperienced. Even with all the turnovers they almost stole one AT Michigan...I feel more positive after this loss than I have after some of the wins. GO ORANGE!!!

Too many bad turnovers. Too much Kaleb J...one of the worst half's in the history of SU PG's. Kaleb has a lot to learn. But there are positives to take out of this too.

Cooneys shooting and mike g driving were good signs at least. Joseph has a long ways to go.

This game proved a lot of things. If Cooney is on, we can play with pretty much anyone.

It also proved that having freshman on the court late in games will lead to crucial mistakes.

As to the last play, I always am torn. How often do you see a team get so excited they don't play good defense in that situation and the Pg gets a free lane for a layup to win the game? If you call the TO everybody gets settled (defense included), if you think your guy can handle it, you let him go. Last year letting Ennis do that would have been a no-brainer, but Joseph is a toss up. I probably would have panicked and taken the TO there.

I am very proud of this team...they were down by ten and fought back. Turnovers hurt a lot, but this is a relatively young team and definitely inexperienced. Even with all the turnovers they almost stole one AT Michigan...I feel more positive after this loss than I have after some of the wins. GO ORANGE!!!
There is definitely a lot to be proud of after this one. But to be so close at the end, and to basically just give it to Michigan is the part that sucks. It's one thing if we set up a play and Michigan played good defense and got the win. But we didn't make Michigan stop us at the end, we totally gave it to them.

Cooney should have thrown the ball in. They didn't guard the inbounds. All you have to do is get it in and go right back to the inbounder. Silent G was also open on the play. They could have also popped CM at the top of the circle and he could have had a wide open three. I wonder if we ever even practice these situations? The final minute was as bad as you can play with bonehead after bonehead plays. I don't buy the freshmen crap. You can either play and make smart plays or you can't. WE obviously can't.

This game proved a lot of things. If Cooney is on, we can play with pretty much anyone.

It also proved that having freshman on the court late in games will lead to crucial mistakes.

As to the last play, I always am torn. How often do you see a team get so excited they don't play good defense in that situation and the Pg gets a free lane for a layup to win the game? If you call the TO everybody gets settled (defense included), if you think your guy can handle it, you let him go. Last year letting Ennis do that would have been a no-brainer, but Joseph is a toss up. I probably would have panicked and taken the TO there.
It was clear Joseph was trying to get it to Cooney. But you get taught from an early age as a PG...NEVER dribble straight to the corner, only bad things will happen

Who knows. We only had one timeout left, no? Perhaps JB had some big plan for after we scored...and thus needed to save it.

Or if someone got in trouble, they could use it.

I'm not sure anyone expects that - where was Joseph even going. Even if he doesn't dribble off his foot...blah.

Still, should have called a timeout.

Oh well.

jdubs30 said:
There is definitely a lot to be proud of after this one. But to be so close at the end, and to basically just give it to Michigan is the part that sucks. It's one thing if we set up a play and Michigan played good defense and got the win. But we didn't make Michigan stop us at the end, we totally gave it to them.

What everyone forgets is that besides Cooney and Christmas this is very inexperienced team. I feel bad for Joseph. He made mistakes most freshman would. Also Cooney supporting him at the end showed great leadership. I think there were more positives than negatives in this game...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom