Official practice starting today, what are you looking for? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Official practice starting today, what are you looking for?

Centers drop to block, basically, and our bottom forwards take the corners ...

That wasn't where the "huh" came from. He said PC is going to be a force, that he spoke to JB and Red and all the rest. We are a top 20 team now? Okay.

Rust?

He's been practicing with the team for an entire year now, full go.
Was Wes "rusty" after his RS year?

MM was healthy enough to play last year, but between being behind on conditioning and the logjam at , it would have been pointless to do so.
Yes, Wes was rusty when he started playing games for SU. Luckily that's what non-conference games are for.

He played really well in our dominant win against UNC at MSG very early on in the the season.
He did, I remember that game well. But he didn't develop consistency until we hit conference play if I remember correctly. Not a knock on Wes, but there's always rust when you don't see game action for over a year.

He did, I remember that game well. But he didn't develop consistency until we hit conference play if I remember correctly. Not a knock on Wes, but there's always rust when you don't see game action for over a year.

You're moving the goalposts now.

From Orangehoops.org:

Johnson's junior season would mirror the team; nobody gave any of them any recognition prior to the season. It would not take the nation long to realize how good Johnson was.

Syracuse played in the preseason NIT tournament, and Johnson would be the tournament MVP with outstanding efforts against ranked California and North Carolina. Johnson dazzled the tournament with a superb combination of high flying rebounds and dunks, mixed with excellent mid range and three point shooting.

Sounds pretty rusty to me. :rolleyes:

You're moving the goalposts now.

From Orangehoops.org:

Sounds pretty rusty to me. :rolleyes:
I'd argue rust is more about consistency than single performances, but that doesn't have much to do with this thread, so I'll stop here.

Wes was pretty damn good right away. Maybe not at his peak but he was pretty damn good. I think Matthew will be just fine. He's been scrimmaging, he got his feet wet in the exhibition games last year too.

I'd argue rust is more about consistency than single performances, but that doesn't have much to do with this thread, so I'll stop here.

Well, then you have a completely different (mis)understanding of the meaning of that common phrase, than pretty much the entire rest of humanity.

I thought you were a SU grad, but maybe you did adjunct work at UNC? ;)

So, I'll stop here. With my point made.

b0b4q_s-200x150.gif

He played really well in our dominant win against UNC at MSG very early on in the the season.

Wes was terrific. But lately I've missing having Cooney around. And even more I've been missing Brandon Triche. You don't realize how good you have it until players like those are gone. Those guys were really tremendous defenders at the top of our zone.

Tyus Battle - first round, book it!

I think for me it is to see what Moyer and Chukwu bring to the table. Chukwu, especially. Two years in the system. Completely healthy. They always say that big guys take longer to develop. Can he give 20+ solid minutes a game.

I'm looking for seeing a team capable of play shut-down defense like in the good ole days.

Huh?
That wasn't where the "huh" came from. He said PC is going to be a force, that he spoke to JB and Red and all the rest. We are a top 20 team now? Okay.
Yes that's what I said. Been around the program for many many years. A force on D, yes... JB would be stunned of he isnt. I have not heard him praise many centers like him. Defensively speaking...

I see in all your posts u rant and rave about Sidibe. He's ok. Will be forced in to action due to TT leaving . Seen as a long term project though by the staff. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

From seeing a few practices... this team is leagues ahead chemistry wise than last year. Night and day. If I'm wrong about all this, life goes on... But we will be in the NIT again.

Everyone seems obsessed with Marek's very slender frame and lack of muscle, that he's gonna get knocked on his as- out there and flattened. But Lydon was able to contribute as a freshman in a meaningful way, even playing center, despite his slender frame.

He's 7 or 8 inches taller than me, and I've got him by 2 pounds. Everytime I play, which is a couple times per week, I know I need to put on a couple pounds so I could do the pushing...

Yes that's what I said. Been around the program for many many years. A force on D, yes... JB would be stunned of he isnt. I have not heard him praise many centers like him. Defensively speaking...

I see in all your posts u rant and rave about Sidibe. He's ok. Will be forced in to action due to TT leaving . Seen as a long term project though by the staff. Which isn't a bad thing at all.

From seeing a few practices... this team is leagues ahead chemistry wise than last year. Night and day. If I'm wrong about all this, life goes on... But we will be in the NIT again.

Okay. Your first paragraph: it would defy logic and reason if Chukwu is a force at anything. He is stick figure thin. If you think this is anything but a negative, I don't know what to tell you. I hope you're right and he's better but a force? No way is that even conceivable.

Sidibe. Yes, I like him but I've also said he's probably 2-3 years away from being ready to be a very significant factor, especially on offense. This year, he will be in good position on defense and contribute on offense by making shots around the rim and the occasional jumper. He should be very good on d right away. He was a fantastic shot blocker in high school against very good competition and he runs the floor well. Too thin but compared to Chukwu, he's the Round Mound of Rebound.

Many of us have also said chemistry should be better but FH has to show that he won't mess up the apple cart, especially if he doesn't get the playing time he thinks he should.

Color me skeptical about you saying you've been around the program forever. We have heard that before, sometimes it is legit, sometimes the posters have been shown to be FOS. Didn't you say a while back that Frank was light years improved? Considering Frank hadn't been cleared to do anything but shoot, I'm not sure that statement lends much to your credibility. I'll believe you here with skeptical feelings, though I doubt you care either way.

Again, top 20 right now would shock even the most optimistic observer. Too many new faces to be that good right away. Hope you are right.

Last edited:
I'm relaxed. You were all in a huff about one thing the coach said last year. I like hearing what the coaches think. I certainly don't hold it against them if they are wrong.

I mean, it was kind of a big thing to say. If he was wrong about that, what else is he wrong about...

Love your posts in general... But once ACC starts we will not see HW barring injury or multiple guys fouling out. He is a distant 4th in the rotation. Distant.
Basef on past performance, if it's Frank running things, it will be another long year.

lol I strongly disagree with #367

That was the premature anything quote. So you're saying you're on board with premature.

Got it. :rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom