Official practice starting today, what are you looking for? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Official practice starting today, what are you looking for?

Let's be real, practice against each other means very little. We heard our head coach claim we might have the best team he's ever had last year and look how that turned out.

Just keep everyone healthy and build team chemistry. That's what I want to see. Everything else will fall into place as it may.
The pieces were there it's just that there were too many square pegs for the round holes.

Let's be real, practice against each other means very little. We heard our head coach claim we might have the best team he's ever had last year and look how that turned out.

Just keep everyone healthy and build team chemistry. That's what I want to see. Everything else will fall into place as it may.
I don't think he said that. I thought he said he had the best team that he had in years.

No. Is that a big deal to you? JB said we MIGHT have the best team in years. So what? He was wrong. No one is right all the time. Why make that a big deal? Should no one ever say anything positive ever again?

Relax pops. My point was predictions out of practice settings can be misleading. Jumping to specific conclusions rarely come to fruition when the lights come on.

Goal 1- Stay healthy, and we will see what happens game 1.

Relax pops. My point was predictions out of practice settings can be misleading. Jumping to specific conclusions rarely come to fruition when the lights come on.

Goal 1- Stay healthy, and we will see what happens game 1.
I'm relaxed. You were all in a huff about one thing the coach said last year. I like hearing what the coaches think. I certainly don't hold it against them if they are wrong.

I don't think he said that. I thought he said he had the best team that he had in years.
Agree with you Dasher. And he actually said we "have the potential to be" one of our best teams in years. JB usually has a good feel for how good his team will be. He was wrong about one season.

Last edited:
No. Is that a big deal to you? JB said we MIGHT have the best team in years. So what? He was wrong. No one is right all the time. Why make that a big deal? Should no one ever say anything positive ever again?
And not for nothing, but after he said that we lost 2/3 of our front line. DC couldn't even run down the Court and Chukwu couldn't see. He left after 7 games. Then Roberson did a disappearing act most of the season. So I don't think it was JB mis-predicting as much it was a series of unfortunate injuries/personnel issues that he didn't see coming (who did).

Last edited:
And not for nothing, but after he said that we lost 2/3 of our front line. DC couldn't even run down the Court and Chukwu couldn't see. He left after 7 games. Then Roberson did a disappearing act most of the season. So I don't think it was JB mis-predicting as much it was a series of unfortunate injuries/personnel issues that he didn't see coming (who did).
The problem was relying on PC or DC at all in those predictions. The only difference I have seen to date between PC and D. Riley is about 3" in height.

I'm relaxed. You were all in a huff about one thing the coach said last year. I like hearing what the coaches think. I certainly don't hold it against them if they are wrong.
Dasher, I will disagree with you a little bit. When coaches say things, it raises or lowers expectations. If coaches praise the team or a player and then they turn out not to be as good as they said, it is demoralizing to all concerned. Last year‘s team was prime example of that. We were all very hopeful and then had to go through the agony of understanding that our team wasn’t coming together the way we were led to believe they would. The best example of an individual player is Trevor Cooney. Gerry assured us all that Trevor was better than he was, and I remember many people being giddy at the prospect. When Trevor turned out not to be as good as Gerry, people held it against him. I suspect Gerry will never make that mistake again.

Tend to agree. It was impossible to predict that both Coleman / Chukwu would miss significant portions of the year. And JB couldn't have known heading into the year that Howard would go postal, or that Roberson would regress to the point of being nearly ineffectual, or that Lydon would get a soft tissue injury that hobbled him a bit fairly early in the season. Just like that, being able to go 9 deep and having lots of lineup flexibility was gone.

Last edited:
It was impossible to predict that both Coleman / Chukwu ...
Chukwu, yes (though his effectiveness wasn't known), but Coleman? The guy had major knee surgery to both knees and hadn't been able to play significant minutes since his freshman year.
Coleman. To me he is an either or guy and dem knees are always going to be a question mark. If he was the 3rd center/PF on a team with 10 guys it wouldn't be a big deal. But the team is shorthanded, with no real SF, and a question mark at C (who could be in foul trouble a lot). Lydon, Battle, and Gillon are going play 38 mpg.
This was in May last year before White and Thompson committed.

iSObGCdYvIiwo_nqm5kc.gif.cf.gif
?? One if the most important things for a cuse center on D is to be able to rotate put to the corner and flash at 3 point shooters on rotations . Baye did it. Fab Melo did it. Chukwu will be great at it. Staff is huge on him this year. He's going to be a force. I read alot on here about Sidibe taking Time, and with TT gone he will be default... But staff views PC as the clear cut starter.

From talking to red and JB the three guys they are so so big on compared to what I read in here are PC, Marek and Howard. This is a top 20 team NOW. if we stay healthy watch out

He can hit threes and distribute the rock.

Washington will take minutes.
Love your posts in general... But once ACC starts we will not see HW barring injury or multiple guys fouling out. He is a distant 4th in the rotation. Distant.

?? One if the most important things for a cuse center on D is to be able to rotate put to the corner and flash at 3 point shooters on rotations . Baye did it. Fab Melo did it. Chukwu will be great at it. Staff is huge on him this year. He's going to be a force. I read alot on here about Sidibe taking Time, and with TT gone he will be default... But staff views PC as the clear cut starter.

From talking to red and JB the three guys they are so so big on compared to what I read in here are PC, Marek and Howard. This is a top 20 team NOW. if we stay healthy watch out

Melo was a big guy. Saying that it’s ok that Chukwu is a twig because it will help him cover the corners is quite a reach. Putting on muscle won’t hurt him in covering the corner, and will help him in other areas.

Chukwu, yes (though his effectiveness wasn't known), but Coleman? The guy had major knee surgery to both knees and hadn't been able to play significant minutes since his freshman year.
Coleman has just finished playing a healthy, injury free junior season. By all accounts, he'd lost even more weight and was poised for a solid finale.

When Boeheim was talking about the team's potential, I'm sure he envisioned having a group of 2-3 centers, several forwards, and a reasonable number of guards to work with -- lots of interchangeable parts and lineup flexibility.

By January, we were down to a 6 player rotation. No matter how you slice it, not having several guys we thought we'd have had an impact.

Huh?

Coleman has just finished playing a healthy, injury free junior season. By all accounts, he'd lost even more weight and was poised for a solid finale.

When Boeheim was talking about the team's potential, I'm sure he envisioned having a group of 2-3 centers, several forwards, and a reasonable number of guards to work with -- lots of interchangeable parts and lineup flexibility.

By January, we were down to a 6 player rotation. No matter how you slice it, not having several guys we thought we'd have had an impact.

But which six or seven?

HW, TB, GT, MD, MM, BS, OB ?

What do you do with FH and PC? You probably have to go with 8 so HW, TB, and FH are the guard rotation.

Too many unknowns at this time for me to conclude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom