Official Seed Listing | Syracusefan.com

Official Seed Listing

Also the great Vandy that everyone is in love with, factoring in their win over Kentucky, still was behind a mediocre Louisville team (I know they won the BET but they were mediocre all year).

I think they didn't put to much into them beating Kentucky and they should have. They also should have took into consideration that Festus was out for the first 8 games and they are a much better team now. How in the hell is Temple ranked ahead of Vandy? We should have got Temple and UNC should have got Vandy.

Also the great Vandy that everyone is in love with, factoring in their win over Kentucky, still was behind a mediocre Louisville team (I know they won the BET but they were mediocre all year).

I have said it a few times -- If you look at the complete body of work, FSU is not a 3 seed and Vandy is not a 5 seed. They are the sexy picks amongst the talking heads, but I think they are each over-seeded. It seems so often that there are teams ranked in the 15 to 40 range that get hot for a week. They win back-to-back-to-back games against teams with tired legs that they are familiar with and get over-seeded come NCAA Tournament time by 2 or 3 slots. I think that we have two of these teams in our bracket.

Just two weeks ago, we saw FSU get embarrassed in Miami (who lost their starting center an hour before the game) in what should have been a bounce back game after getting beaten by Duke. This team also lost by 15 or 20 points to both Clemson and Florida. In the ACC Tournament, I think they played a good game against Duke (without Ryan Kelly ~11 ppg/~6rpg), who they match up very well against, and beat a Henson-less UNC team (how is the media not constantly bringing up that a 14 and 10 and ACC Defensive POY missed that match?). We know as well as any team in America how tough it is to replace a starter on short notice -- FSU had the luxury team of meeting 2 teams that were in that predicament during their "unbelievable" run.

Vandy also has quite a few losses that you look back on and wonder how they are seeded where they were. A five seed should be in the 17 to 20 range. Vandy is not one of the 20 best teams in America. Yes, they won the SEC, but they beat UGA and Ole Miss to get to the title game. This wasn't some immaculate run of inspired basketball. This was a two game win streak against below average teams and then they played the game of their lives against Kentucky (who didn't use all his timeouts as Vandy pulled away -- I truly think Cal wanted to refocus his team).

I'm not saying either team is bad and I'm not saying that either team can't beat us -- they both can -- but I think, more-likely-than-not, we end up being lucky that they are in our bracket.

I don't know, someone will probably tell me I'm wrong. Maybe I am crazy though and need to take off my Orange tinted glasses?

I have said it a few times -- If you look at the complete body of work, FSU is not a 3 seed and Vandy is not a 5 seed. They are the sexy picks amongst the talking heads, but I think they are each over-seeded. It seems so often that there are teams ranked in the 15 to 40 range that get hot for a week. They win back-to-back-to-back games against teams with tired legs that they are familiar with and get over-seeded come NCAA Tournament time by 2 or 3 slots. I think that we have two of these teams in our bracket.

Just two weeks ago, we saw FSU get embarrassed in Miami (who lost their starting center an hour before the game) in what should have been a bounce back game after getting beaten by Duke. This team also lost by 15 or 20 points to both Clemson and Florida. In the ACC Tournament, I think they played a good game against Duke (without Ryan Kelly ~11 ppg/~6rpg), who they match up very well against, and beat a Henson-less UNC team (how is the media not constantly bringing up that a 14 and 10 and ACC Defensive POY missed that match?). We know as well as any team in America how tough it is to replace a starter on short notice -- FSU had the luxury team of meeting 2 teams that were in that predicament during their "unbelievable" run.

Vandy also has quite a few losses that you look back on and wonder how they are seeded where they were. A five seed should be in the 17 to 20 range. Vandy is not one of the 20 best teams in America. Yes, they won the SEC, but they beat UGA and Ole Miss to get to the title game. This wasn't some immaculate run of inspired basketball. This was a two game win streak against below average teams and then they played the game of their lives against Kentucky (who didn't use all his timeouts as Vandy pulled away -- I truly think Cal wanted to refocus his team).

I'm not saying either team is bad and I'm not saying that either team can't beat us -- they both can -- but I think, more-likely-than-not, we end up being lucky that they are in our bracket.

I don't know, someone will probably tell me I'm wrong. Maybe I am crazy though and need to take off my Orange tinted glasses?

The first 8 games Vandy played without Festus. They played Kentucky tight for 3 gms and should have beaten them twice. FSU is a legitimate good team you are nitpicking games where matchups play a role you can't say because they lost to a certain team they are no good. FSU beat UNC with Henson by 30 and beat Duke @ Duke with Kelly so I don't get what your point is there. Also in 2003 Syracuse was the "sexy" pick and look how that turned out.

The first 8 games Vandy played without Festus. They played Kentucky tight for 3 gms and should have beaten them twice. FSU is a legitimate good team you are nitpicking games where matchups play a role you can't say because they lost to a certain team they are no good. FSU beat UNC with Henson by 30 and beat Duke @ Duke with Kelly so I don't get what your point is there. Also in 2003 Syracuse was the "sexy" pick and look how that turned out.
Duke is just not "Duke" this year, let's all get that straight. FSU is a bad matchup for a few teams in the ACC and you have to give props to Hamilton for being successful in their style of play and finding a way to disrupt those two each year. That said, FSU has some bad losses on their schedule. Princeton, Harvard, Clemson, BC. You don't lose to these teams and then beat UNC/Duke twice unless you just have a style tailor-made to beat those top teams. Vandy, with or without Festus, should not have lost to Cleveland St., Indiana St., Arkansas and an incredibly overrated Miss. State team. Both teams were overseeded based on conference tourney play, but it just makes it that much better for SU's draw.

So that means they lost seven games with Festus, including one to Indiana State. That's right, they lost to the 8th place team in the MVC with Wilt - I mean Ezeli - in the lineup.

Syracuse was a "sexy" pick for different reasons. We didn't win our conference tournament. We had a lottery pick and we were playing the Regional in our backyard. The better comparison would be 2006-08 UCLA. If you want to compare a Syracuse team to FSU or Vandy, try 2005 or 2006.

I hadn't seen anyone post this as of yet:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-03-11/kentucky-snares-no-1-overall-seed

I'm sure we gotta have some gurus out there that want to do the math to see who has the hardest brackets per the rankings.

PS - I'm too* lazy to

OSU and FSU are the third-best #2 and #3 seeds. Wisconsin and Vandy are the second-best #4 and #5 seeds. If you want to get technical, they have FSU and Wisconsin backwards. It should be Marquette and Indiana.

K-State is the worst #8 and Southern Miss is the third-best #9. So they're giving us the best chance at the most favorable second-round matchup for the #1 seeds.

Kentucky will either get the second-best #8 or second-best #9 seed in the second round. MSU gets either the third-best #8 or worst #9. So UNC gets the best #8 or the best #9.

Second round degree of difficulty, easiest to hardest: SU, MSU, UK, UNC

Kentucky gets the third-best #4 and third-best #5. MSU gets the worst of both. UNC gets the best of both.

Sweet 16 degree of difficulty, easiest to hardest: MSU, UK, SU, UNC

Kentucky gets the second-best #2 and the best #3. MSU gets the worst #2 and the second-best #3. UNC gets the best #2 and the worst #3.

Elite Eight degree of difficulty, easiest to hardest: SU, MSU, UNC, UK

So going by the numbers, we actually have the easiest draw, with MSU a close second. UNC has the toughest draw, followed by UK.

A couple points:

- I didn't say either team wasn't good, I said they were overseeded based on their entire body of work -- what points are you responding to?
- If you are going to bring up FSU's win against Duke, you should bring up Duke's win in Tallahassee
- In no way are FSU and Vandy in 2011 comparable to 2003 with SU. SU was a "sexy" pick because of 'Melo, Albany, and winning something like 11 of their last 12 regular season games, not because they reached and won their conference tournament.
- I don't get why you are bringing up all of the games prior to the tournament. We all know about FSU's and Vandy's schedule and results before the tournaments. Even with all you brought up, they were projecting as a low-4/5 (FSU) or a 7/8 (Vandy). I'm saying their lucky tournament draws helped get them over-seeded in the East bracket.

If you want to refute my points feel free, but don't make it sound like I was saying those teams are "no good" (as you decided to put those words in my mouth). I said they were over-seeded.