*Official Syracuse Players Summer League Thread* | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

*Official Syracuse Players Summer League Thread*

melo when he rids himself of jb we'll be a star. i think jb is an outstanding human beingbvut until he teaches his playersa that want to go to thew nba, nba bb he should be jailed until he does. that is with congugal visif or igor's help
what the f

Igor - your premise is spot on.. but the blame is pointed in the wrong direction. JB and his staff have done a much better job than many think at developing players for the NBA. We have seen players grown significantly during their time here. The problem is much more about where they land. Coaches that teach the game and truly develop their young players in the NBA are few and far between. Its a cashgrab and it always has been. Obviously not every SU player has been brought up through the system correctly and maximized their potential but many have, only to go pro and play for a coach who wants to change their game significantly to accomodate the team. Perfect examples are Hak, Flynn, Melo in the more recent of years. Coleman,Owens, J-dub .. thinking in the past a bit more. It is all about where you land. Kris-Jo and Melo landing in Boston will be a wonderful opportunity for their development. Rivers is one of the few teachers out there. Dion landing in Cleveland falls into the same category. Byron is a perfect mentor for Dion. The weight- that all falls into the shutting down, no workouts and listening to scouts along with some home cooking from mom as well. When Harden came aboard at OKC - he was heavy as well.

Melo is an even better example. We sometimes don't think of it that way but - at SU melo played to his strengths - he attacked off the dribble, posted up, hit the midrange J and attacked the offensive glass. When in Denver, he was asked to be a better rebounder, a better defender, a better passer.. wash rinse repeat. He is a pure scorer with a good handle who can draw defenders. Karl was frustrated with Melo often - but he did get a lot out of him and was beginning to get him to operate the way melo is best at operating. If melo could have had consistant guidance like KD.. and then started to incorporate more defense once his role on Offense was mastered it would really have helped him max out his stardom. Seeing him lose all the weight this summer is a great sign, maybe like lebron learning to operate more in the post, melo is understanding he has to be more explosive and be what he is - a walking mismatch - that doesn't have to handle the ball all game but can pick his spots and still go for 30. Im off track here - but the issue I have is with NBA player development- JB and staff have done everything they can to use their players talents to match them with where they can succeed. Once they move on - its a matter of the player and where the player ends up that will determine their development. You can crush a young players confidence and make them question what their role is to the point they lose the mojo that got them to the league.. it happens far to often, and it really stunts development.

Definitely looked a bit bored out there at times. Passive - letting other guys kind of run the show. He will be in Byron Scotts doghouse real quick with that attitude. I would imagine however he will get himself in shape. He had a couple nice passes but wasn't getting back in transition and lost his man on cuts a few times. Hopefully he picks up the intensity level a bit more and starts taking a bit more seriously. With that said- this game was fugly.. Kemba .. Im not so sure Kemba is going to be more than another DJ Augustin, sebastian telfair journeyman type. He is not the answer as a PG for a franchise trying to head the other direction.

Dion will be ok.. he had to learn the hard way how to excel at the college level - I fully expect he will do the same in the pros.

Pretty good summary. I watched the whole game being a local Cleveland guy also. I think Dion will get some speed back also when he sheds some pounds and gets a little leaner. I thought Zeller looked very good. He was dissed on this board all year long. Never understood it. Byron Scott will be good for Dion.

Pretty good summary. I watched the whole game being a local Cleveland guy also. I think Dion will get some speed back also when he sheds some pounds and gets a little leaner. I thought Zeller looked very good. He was dissed on this board all year long. Never understood it. Byron Scott will be good for Dion.

I think part of it was that Kyrie Irving just broke his hand before the game. That probably took some of the enthusiasm out of the game. Dion did finish with 4 assists, game high, but failed to execute down the stretch and called a timeout he didn't have that cost them the game.

If Cleveland was just playing Dion on the right side of the offense more, he'd be doing way better.

That would help but I'm still not convinced Kyrie Irving can take advantage of the 135 degree passing angle.

I'll try to keep all the stats updated in the first post, but here's a place to discuss how former Orange are doing.

Kris Joseph, BOS (5 games): 17-44 from the field, 1-10 from 3, 12-16 from the line, 47pts, 29rebs, 7stls, 9fouls, 3asts
Fab Mel0, BOS (5 games): 4-14 from the field, 0-0 from 3, 1-2 from the line, 9pts, 24rebs, 5asts, 5blks, 9fouls
Dion Waiters, CLE (1 game): 3-11 from the field, 1-4 from 3, 3-4 from the line, 10pts, 4asts, 4rebs, 1stl

Joseph: 9ppg, 6rpg, 1spg, 1apg; 39% from the field, 10% from 3, 75% from the line
Melo: 2ppg, 5rpg, 1bpg, 1apg; 28% from the field
Waiters: 10ppg, 4apg, 4pg, 1spg; 27% from the field, 25% from 3, 75% from the line

thanks for the effort, jdubs. I have two suggestions - maybe add minutes per game and turnovers to the stats?

The biggest thing I remember from last night's game was one of the announcers saying something along the lines of "Did you see the way Waiters made a mistake and then just walked back on defense and let the other team score easily? That'll get him on the bench real quick if he keeps that up."

boeheim doesnt teach players good habits nut how to relax snd pplay the wholee game. hell be on the bench by midseason. his matadur degense makes me wonder whar was jb thinking about he said rh bed i blame ithaca mATTutica deNO

im soo frustrated typing

I agree--Dion's matadur degense is something that many on this forum have criticized him for in the pass.

Can someone diagram for me how and why Dion called that timeout last night?

There was nothing he could do really and even Sam Mitchell said it wasn't a big deal. He caught the ball very close to the sidelines and got trapped immediately. Nowhere to go and no Cav came to the ball. Like IthacaMatt mentioned, I think some of his passive play, indecision, yet the green light for gunning was due to Irving just getting injured. Getting leaner is absolutely a must, though as well as getting back on D.

Zeller should have gone top 10. A polished 7 footer who has a silky jumper, can get to the rim from the high post and can run the floor. I thought Dion had a nice chemistry with tyler on the pick n pop. A little celticish- ala KG.. of course far far from the same quality but it was good to watch none the less.

There was nothing he could do really and even Sam Mitchell said it wasn't a big deal.

Until he realized the rule change, that the other team also gets possession. Mitchell didn't know the rules..

Definitely looked a bit bored out there at times. Passive - letting other guys kind of run the show. He will be in Byron Scotts doghouse real quick with that attitude. I would imagine however he will get himself in shape. He had a couple nice passes but wasn't getting back in transition and lost his man on cuts a few times. Hopefully he picks up the intensity level a bit more and starts taking a bit more seriously. With that said- this game was fugly.. Kemba .. Im not so sure Kemba is going to be more than another DJ Augustin, sebastian telfair journeyman type. He is not the answer as a PG for a franchise trying to head the other direction.

Dion will be ok.. he had to learn the hard way how to excel at the college level - I fully expect he will do the same in the pros.

I don't completely disagree. I would say that it's hard to judge a PG in a summer league game (it's even harder with last year's Bobcats team who had maybe 3 legit NBA players). That said, his shot has looked broken so far in summer league. He has taken a few bad shots, but mainly is missing open shots.
If he can cut down on the silly shots, he should be OK (with Sessions/Gordon on the team his end of shot clock/game shots should go down). His A/TO ratio was good last year and looks fine in Summer League. I think it will help a lot to have a lot more depth on the Bobcats this year.

This year the Bobcats should be much better than last year. The three veteran players they picked up add a decent amount of depth and the two SF's they drafted should be net neutral at worse. If they get any improvement from Henderson, Mullens, Biyombo or Walker, they could wint 25-30 games.

I don't completely disagree. I would say that it's hard to judge a PG in a summer league game (it's even harder with last year's Bobcats team who had maybe 3 legit NBA players). That said, his shot has looked broken so far in summer league. He has taken a few bad shots, but mainly is missing open shots.
If he can cut down on the silly shots, he should be OK (with Sessions/Gordon on the team his end of shot clock/game shots should go down). His A/TO ratio was good last year and looks fine in Summer League. I think it will help a lot to have a lot more depth on the Bobcats this year.

This year the Bobcats should be much better than last year. The three veteran players they picked up add a decent amount of depth and the two SF's they drafted should be net neutral at worse. If they get any improvement from Henderson, Mullens, Biyombo or Walker, they could wint 25-30 games.

What I noticed the most was how often his passes were either off target or just not crisp and where the open man can do anything with it. He needs to learn how to play the game at a slightly slower pace. It still seems far too fast for him. He is good attacking the rim with the floater and the mid range jumper but really struggles when he has to make a quick decision and put a pass right on a guy. If he is going to play PG - he has to be able to give his guys a chance.

I'm watching Boston Vs Atlanta right now and I have a few observations about KJo and Fab. Melo still loves to run the pick and role, every chance he gets he sprints to the top of the key to set the screen for the ballhandler. He seems to float in the paint a lot for an NBA player, but I guess thats to be expected for a bit. He also seems to be playing above the rim on defense. As for Kris he must have taken the Celtic's words to heart because he is cutting to score and taking shots that are not typical Kris shots. John Jenkins has been very impressive as well. I have to say I have never seen Jenkins play and I thought he was a pure shooter, but boy was I wrong. Every time he has been on the court he is the primary ballhandler and he is making smart passes.

I'm watching Boston Vs Atlanta right now and I have a few observations about KJo and Fab. Melo still loves to run the pick and role, every chance he gets he sprints to the top of the key to set the screen for the ballhandler. He seems to float in the paint a lot for an NBA player, but I guess thats to be expected for a bit. He also seems to be playing above the rim on defense. As for Kris he must have taken the Celtic's words to heart because he is cutting to score and taking shots that are not typical Kris shots. John Jenkins has been very impressive as well. I have to say I have never seen Jenkins play and I thought he was a pure shooter, but boy was I wrong. Every time he has been on the court he is the primary ballhandler and he is making smart passes.

Was watching this too. Kris looks like he got a little leaner also. He's moving around and cutting better than I ever remember. Melo was pretty active and was doing some good things. He still stood around and watched a couple of times as a Hawk grabbed a rebound right next to him. Def rebounding was never a strength of his. But it's the zone...:crazy:! He is moving well though and played the majority of the first half. Looked good. Jenkins is a good player. I watched a couple of Vandy games this past season and Taylor played well yesterday also.

About 6:00 left in 4Q and Dion is 2-10 vs D-League Select. Not getting back and some pouting. Hasn't been close on most of his shots.

If Cleveland was just playing Dion on the right side of the offense more, he'd be doing way better.

To drive this point home I may try photoshopping Dion's face into Orangefan13's now famous oil on canvas "Left and Right Avec les Basquets".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom