Officials Impacting Style of Play | Syracusefan.com

Officials Impacting Style of Play

dlegend44

Scout Team
The officiating in the Nova game was inconsistent and below average. No debate there.

Nova is one of those teams, like Louisville and Duke, that play "race to a spot" style defense. They try to anticipate where the offensive player is going, beat them to the spot and fall down. Personally, I hate that style of defense. The excessive amount of flops and charges are difficult for me to watch. With that being said, the officials have a huge impact on how effective that style of defense will be in each individual game. The Block/Charge call is arguably the most difficult officiating decision in all of sports. When officials demonstrate early they will favor the offense, "race to the spot" defense is not nearly as effective. When defensive flopping is rewarded, that style is highly effective.

I would like to see the Block/Charge call be like pass interference in the NFL. The call almost always goes in favor of the offense unless there is something obvious against the offense. At least the defense is no longer allowed to run under the basket and fall down to draw a charge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom