Officiating Last Night | Syracusefan.com

Officiating Last Night

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Watching the game last night I came away feeling like the officiating was incredibly poor in that game. I am not suggesting that the referees cost us the game or anything like that, I just felt like there were a lot of instances where the officials were just wrong. This will sound like I'm suggesting that the referees favored UNC, but I'm not intending to. I just tend to recall the calls that I thought went against us.

- I am convinced I don't understand the rules regarding post play and what is and is not a foul. The play by Johnson late in the second half where he essentially dipped his shoulder and then slammed into Rak's chest causing Rak to back pedal a step or two had me scratching my head. How is that not an offensive foul?

- End of the 1st half. We take the 30 second TO with 18.5 seconds on the clock. We inbound the ball and they quickly blow the whistle because the clock didn't start. They then take 3 seconds off of the clock and we inbound again. If the clock didn't start how do you take 3 seconds away in an end of clock situation like that? It ultimately didn't hurt us, but you have a limited amount of time to run your offensive set to get that shot so shouldn't they have restarted with 18.5 seconds on the clock again?

- The over the back call on Roberson (5th Foul) how do you make that call where there was little if any contact between Roberson and the player that was kind of in front of him.

- Meeks had a three point opportunity where the referee Christmas tipped the ball into the basket - the ref was pretty clearly going to call the block goal tending...... Is that play even possible if the ball is on a downward trajectory?

- The double dribble called on Christmas in the first half? What was up with that call? I think it was what we commonly refer to as a carry, but why would you make that call on a low post player in that position...I don't think I've ever seen that before. Technically it was probably a violation, but seems to me that that is a situation where there is no advantage gained...and no need to call it.

- Seemed like the officiating changed significantly at the half. Almost nothing being called in the first half to lots of contact being called in the second. Maybe it was more about UNC's approach and them taking it inside, but.....

The first half was rough and physical but it was fun basketball and I thought officiated very well.

The second half was a complete ****show. Total 180 from how the first half was officiated. Roy said at halftime that his team was beat up physically and they needed to toughen up and they did. However, UNC was allowed to play rough and rugged while we were getting nickel and dimed all over the court.

Then after the Under 8 timeout, it seemed like we literally couldn't breathe on a Tar Heel.

Complete and utter inconsistent officiating which is a common theme for CBB. They let us play physical in the first half and let UNC play physical in the second half...if i'm choosing, I know which half i'd rather have the whistle on my side.

I hate blaming refs, because we obviously could have made some shots and tightened up the defense a bit at times. But it certainly seemed like the level of contact players were getting away with was inconsistent.

The refs didn't shoot like the 85 Celtics out there...we are thin, they took it to us. If we had depth (not our fault) it would be the least of it from last night.

- End of the 1st half. We take the 30 second TO with 18.5 seconds on the clock. We inbound the ball and they quickly blow the whistle because the clock didn't start. They then take 3 seconds off of the clock and we inbound again. If the clock didn't start how do you take 3 seconds away in an end of clock situation like that? It ultimately didn't hurt us, but you have a limited amount of time to run your offensive set to get that shot so shouldn't they have restarted with 18.5 seconds on the clock again?

The other stuff doesn't really interest me, because there are always calls that go against your team, but for this one, they decided that 3 seconds had gone off the clock when the ball was inbounded and the clock was running. Not sure where they got the number, but it seemed close enough to me. If we had inbounded the ball and got a bucket right away and the clock wasn't running, the bucket would have counted, so yu gotta take the time off the clock.

I have no trouble blaming the refs. They clearly benefited UNC last night: enough to change the outcome of the game, probably/maybe. Poor reffing in college basketball is so common, uneven (and sometimes biased) and affects the outcome of so many games that it is a significant detriment to game.

I hate blaming refs, because we obviously could have made some shots and tightened up the defense a bit at times. But it certainly seemed like the level of contact players were getting away with was inconsistent.

I don't know how you can like CBB if you thought it was anything out of the ordinary for a road game. It favored them a bit, mostly cuz they always got the next two marginal calls after every instance of the crowd saying boo. That happens. In like almost every game. I do wonder how much home cooking they're actually used to if they were upset w/ the calls against them though.

I have no trouble blaming the refs. They clearly benefited UNC last night: enough to change the outcome of the game, probably/maybe. Poor reffing in college basketball is so common, uneven (and sometimes biased) and affects the outcome of so many games that it is a significant detriment to game.

This is where I'm at now days. Look the refs effect every game because they suck so bad that's just the way it is anymore. Its very possible that had the refs called what I considered a good game we still would have lost but that didn't happen so we just don't know.

Watching the game last night I came away feeling like the officiating was incredibly poor in that game. I am not suggesting that the referees cost us the game or anything like that, I just felt like there were a lot of instances where the officials were just wrong. This will sound like I'm suggesting that the referees favored UNC, but I'm not intending to. I just tend to recall the calls that I thought went against us.

- I am convinced I don't understand the rules regarding post play and what is and is not a foul. The play by Johnson late in the second half where he essentially dipped his shoulder and then slammed into Rak's chest causing Rak to back pedal a step or two had me scratching my head. How is that not an offensive foul?

- The over the back call on Roberson (5th Foul) how do you make that call where there was little if any contact between Roberson and the player that was kind of in front of him.

- Meeks had a three point opportunity where the referee Christmas tipped the ball into the basket - the ref was pretty clearly going to call the block goal tending... Is that play even possible if the ball is on a downward trajectory?

- The double dribble called on Christmas in the first half? What was up with that call? I think it was what we commonly refer to as a carry, but why would you make that call on a low post player in that position...I don't think I've ever seen that before. Technically it was probably a violation, but seems to me that that is a situation where there is no advantage gained...and no need to call it.

- Seemed like the officiating changed significantly at the half. Almost nothing being called in the first half to lots of contact being called in the second. Maybe it was more about UNC's approach and them taking it inside, but...
I was not a fan of the refs either and agree about the differences between halves 1 v 2.

Big Man v. Big Man, they are not going to call the O-foul if the defensive guy just backs up. To get the call, he needs to keep his feet stationary. If he did that, he would have to fall and MAYBE got the call.

I don't recall an over and back call on Roberson.

Not sure what you mean about the goal tending. It can only be goal tending if the ball is on its downward trajectory so you question confused me.

I didn't see that Christmas double dribbled (lost dribble then dribbled again). If he did then it was a violation, they need to call it whether there is some advantage gained on the instance or not.

I thought we got most of the questionable calls in the first half and they got all of them in the second.

My paranoid theory is... the refs wanted to trick us in the first half by giving us some calls. with the intention of dropping the hammer on us in the second half. Kind of a spider-web analogy.

here's my 2 cents on refereeing...

I've been to about 20 different opposing court venues for Syracuse games over the years and I have to say that I was utterly shocked by the UNC fans' collective reaction to the refereeing last night. I've never seen a fanbase complain soooooo GD much about reffing. The section I was sitting in you would have thought that UNC had been called for 35 fouls and Syracuse none. The Carolina fans were so arrogant with regards to the calls on the court, there was this huge sense of entitlement throughout the crowd that they thought they should get EVERY call. It was actually quite sickening.

I've never seen a fanbase complain soooooo GD much about reffing. [...] The Carolina fans were so arrogant with regards to the calls on the court, there was this huge sense of entitlement throughout the crowd that they thought they should get EVERY call. It was actually quite sickening.
The same can be said for SU fans. Truly. I don't worry about the refs anymore. Syracuse gave up way too many open looks and UNC hit them all, plus a few contested shots. They'll do that. They're good basketball players. They have a pile of Burger kids. Nate Britt might be some no name and missed the top-100 2013 recruits, but he was a highly sought after recruit and played PG for a power house high school. He was recruited by just about every basketball school on the east coast (it wasn't UNC and a bunch of mid-majors).

In the second half, Syracuse was just flat out tired. Instead of making good defensive plays, they started reaching and grabbing - those will get whistled everytime.

I don't recall an over and back call on Roberson.

I'll help you here. "over THE back" not "over AND back" I think this should clear it up.

There were probably 3 times last night that I was shocked with the calls...one was where the Chubby Dude (Yes, I know his name is Kennedy Meeks but I prefer Chubby Dude) came straight into Rak and nearly knocked him on his ass (2nd half)...another one was the 'and one' they gave the Chubby Dude when Rak barely touched him under the basket (2nd half)...and the last one was on Robersons last foul (and half). Late in the game, I forget the exact moment, but I though JB was going to go ape on a ref but I think he quickly remembered what happened last time he did that on tobacco road.

I'll help you here. "over THE back" not "over AND back" I think this should clear it up.
Thank you! sorry, my eyesight not what it used to be. I was scratching my head about an "over and back" call that was a foul too!

NCAA officiating is just inherently inconsistent at this point. It is what it is. I wonder if that's just how it will be given the number of teams and games. In the NBA the refs have a feel for every team/player/coaching style. Is there just too much variation in college hoops to expect consistency from the officials?

I was not a fan of the refs either and agree about the differences between halves 1 v 2.

Big Man v. Big Man, they are not going to call the O-foul if the defensive guy just backs up. To get the call, he needs to keep his feet stationary. If he did that, he would have to fall and MAYBE got the call.
Its hard to keep your feet stationary when 6 feet up you are hit with 200+ lbs of force. I started a sting about physical play and this is part of it. The pushing and shoving in the paint is getting ridiculous. If an offensive guy establishes a position, then the defense should not be allowed to push him away. The same for defense, establish a position and you should own that spot from the ground to the ceiling. If an offensive guy tries to force you to move it should be foul even if he succeeds.

Its hard to keep your feet stationary when 6 feet up you are hit with 200+ lbs of force. I started a sting about physical play and this is part of it. The pushing and shoving in the paint is getting ridiculous. If an offensive guy establishes a position, then the defense should not be allowed to push him away. The same for defense, establish a position and you should own that spot from the ground to the ceiling. If an offensive guy tries to force you to move it should be foul even if he succeeds.
Of course it SHOULD be a foul. It's hard to keep your feet stationary and stay upright. That's why you fall. Like I said, it's an offensive foul either way but they won't call it if you just step back

Of course it SHOULD be a foul. It's hard to keep your feet stationary and stay upright. That's why you fall. Like I said, it's an offensive foul either way but they won't call it if you just step back

Not sure I would want to fall if there was chance of all 270 pounds of Meeks landing on me. The player should just have to play defense and its the ref's job to blow the whistle. No one should ever have to fall in bball to draw attention to the fact that they were fouled IMO. It wasn't even good defense so much as an offensive foul. Rak is entitled to that spot he's already there dislodging him through force should be an extremely easy call for any official.

Not sure I would want to fall if there was chance of all 270 pounds of Meeks landing on me. The player should just have to play defense and its the ref's job to blow the whistle. No one should ever have to fall in bball to draw attention to the fact that they were fouled IMO. It wasn't even good defense so much as an offensive foul. Rak is entitled to that spot he's already there dislodging him through force should be an extremely easy call for any official.
You are arguing what the refs should call. I agree. Yes, he's entitled to his spot. The problem is that they didn't call it and won't the way Rak played it. If he wants the call, he has to keep his feet planted and fall. It would only take 1 or 2 offensive fouls before Meeks changes his strategy.

You are arguing what the refs should call. I agree. Yes, he's entitled to his spot. The problem is that they didn't call it and won't the way Rak played it. If he wants the call, he has to keep his feet planted and fall. It would only take 1 or 2 offensive fouls before Meeks changes his strategy.

I am only saying he shouldn't have to "want to get the call" he wasn't even really trying to offer resistance on most of them other than holding his ground and standing there. Yes I am putting the onus on the refs and not Rak. I don't want my center falling down under the basket when he is the only center we have. The players shouldn't have to be influencing the refs to call fouls especially ones that are clearly fouls.

Stop me if you're kidding.

It was his fifth foul.

That absolutely HORRIBLE call most certainly cost us any chance of a comeback win. That is a clear example of a bad call impacting the outcome of a game. Typical home court call.

I am only saying he shouldn't have to "want to get the call" he wasn't even really trying to offer resistance on most of them other than holding his ground and standing there. Yes I am putting the onus on the refs and not Rak. I don't want my center falling down under the basket when he is the only center we have. The players shouldn't have to be influencing the refs to call fouls especially ones that are clearly fouls.
I think we both agree the refs should call it. However, they didn't and they won't. So we are left with two options. (1) live with it or (2) use techniques to draw the charge. I am not try to be difficult ...just practical. I get you don't want your center on the ground. I'd tell him to draw it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Charge-in-Basketball

I think we both agree the refs should call it. However, they didn't and they won't. So we are left with two options. (1) live with it or (2) use techniques to draw the charge. I am not try to be difficult ...just practical. I get you don't want your center on the ground. I'd tell him to draw it.

http://www.wikihow.com/Draw-a-Charge-in-Basketball

We can agree to disagree then. I hear you and you aren't incorrect but something about the phrase "drawing a charge" smacks of not being defense or a basketball play to me. I'm also not trying to be difficult nor saying you are incorrect its just that in my thinking flopping only perpetuates the officiating problem. Until they overhaul things, have actual evaluations, rewards for being good at it and drawbacks for being bad at it then its not going to be fixed whether you flop or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom