Officiating Last Night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Officiating Last Night

Of course it SHOULD be a foul. It's hard to keep your feet stationary and stay upright. That's why you fall. Like I said, it's an offensive foul either way but they won't call it if you just step back
Actually a few games back, Rak drew a walk on a guy doing just that. The guy was leaning in on him to make a move and he just completely stepped back causing the guy to lose balance and walk. Don't know if he did it on purpose but it looked pretty sweet to me when he did it.

Watching the game last night I came away feeling like the officiating was incredibly poor in that game. I am not suggesting that the referees cost us the game or anything like that, I just felt like there were a lot of instances where the officials were just wrong. This will sound like I'm suggesting that the referees favored UNC, but I'm not intending to. I just tend to recall the calls that I thought went against us.

- I am convinced I don't understand the rules regarding post play and what is and is not a foul. The play by Johnson late in the second half where he essentially dipped his shoulder and then slammed into Rak's chest causing Rak to back pedal a step or two had me scratching my head. How is that not an offensive foul?

- End of the 1st half. We take the 30 second TO with 18.5 seconds on the clock. We inbound the ball and they quickly blow the whistle because the clock didn't start. They then take 3 seconds off of the clock and we inbound again. If the clock didn't start how do you take 3 seconds away in an end of clock situation like that? It ultimately didn't hurt us, but you have a limited amount of time to run your offensive set to get that shot so shouldn't they have restarted with 18.5 seconds on the clock again?

- The over the back call on Roberson (5th Foul) how do you make that call where there was little if any contact between Roberson and the player that was kind of in front of him.

- Meeks had a three point opportunity where the referee Christmas tipped the ball into the basket - the ref was pretty clearly going to call the block goal tending... Is that play even possible if the ball is on a downward trajectory?

- The double dribble called on Christmas in the first half? What was up with that call? I think it was what we commonly refer to as a carry, but why would you make that call on a low post player in that position...I don't think I've ever seen that before. Technically it was probably a violation, but seems to me that that is a situation where there is no advantage gained...and no need to call it.

- Seemed like the officiating changed significantly at the half. Almost nothing being called in the first half to lots of contact being called in the second. Maybe it was more about UNC's approach and them taking it inside, but...

The officiating was fine--they let them play, which is generally good for us given our lack of depth.

I do agree that given how physical the game was, both the 4th and 5th fouls on Roberson were both weak.

But otherwise, it wasn't that bad.

We can agree to disagree then. I hear you and you aren't incorrect but something about the phrase "drawing a charge" smacks of not being defense or a basketball play to me. I'm also not trying to be difficult nor saying you are incorrect its just that in my thinking flopping only perpetuates the officiating problem. Until they overhaul things, have actual evaluations, rewards for being good at it and drawbacks for being bad at it then its not going to be fixed whether you flop or not.
Drawing a charge to me is not "flopping". Drawing a charge is simply a way to properly get into position, keep your position and absorb contact without getting hurt. If one does it right, the fall is only a foot or so onto your butt. It's not easy to do right and frankly, it hurts sometimes even if you are good at it. That's why it is practiced a lot.

I consider flopping to be falling when there is no or little contact.

Last night's announcer giving instructions on how to take a charge:

Drawing a charge to me is not "flopping". Drawing a charge is simply a way to properly get into position, keep your position and absorb contact without getting hurt. If one does it right, the fall is only a foot or so onto your butt. It's not easy to do right and frankly, it hurts sometimes even if you are good at it. That's why it is practiced a lot.

I consider flopping to be falling when there is no or little contact.

Last night's announcer giving instructions on how to take a charge:

Being prepared to fall is in no way making a defensive play to my mind. I prefer not to have any of this in bball when I watch. If someone bowls you over and you fall fine but if you are purposely falling with contact I think its dangerous (because players are on the ground, tripping, stomping, landing on, ect) and a non basketball play. I want to see basketball not some choreographed dance to get fouled or draw charges. I think this is something we just have to make piece with disagreeing on which again is fine.

NCAA officiating is just inherently inconsistent at this point. It is what it is. I wonder if that's just how it will be given the number of teams and games. In the NBA the refs have a feel for every team/player/coaching style. Is there just too much variation in college hoops to expect consistency from the officials?

Somebody gets it. :)

Just for the record, there is no such foul as "over the back." There are only 5 fouls involving regular play: push, hold, block, charge, and illegal use of the hands. I didn't see the game so I'm not going to comment further.

Just for the record, there is no such foul as "over the back." There are only 5 fouls involving regular play: push, hold, block, charge, and illegal use of the hands. I didn't see the game so I'm not going to comment further.
Illegal use of hands.

hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom