Officiating today... | Syracusefan.com

Officiating today...

wvlax

2nd String
The refs were very whistle happy today; and I thought the officiating was dubious at best in favor of Michigan State especially in the last five minutes. Late in the the game; court official and the replay officials blew that review where the ball clearly hit the Michigan State player before going out of bounds. Thought the last 2 foul calls against Frankie were very very questionable! Finally I saw Sidibe get hammered several times with nothing called.

The refs were very whistle happy today; and I thought the officiating was dubious at best in favor of Michigan State especially in the last five minutes. Late in the the game; court official and the replay officials blew that review where the ball clearly hit the Michigan State player before going out of bounds. Thought the last 2 foul calls against Frankie were very very questionable! Finally I saw Sidibe get hammered several times with nothing called.
I’m surprised so many people are saying the ball went off MSU on that play with 1:39 left. I thought it was off of Oshae... at best, the replay was inconclusive- which means they stay with the original call.

I’m surprised so many people are saying the ball went off MSU on that play with 1:39 left. I thought it was off of Oshae... at best, the replay was inconclusive- which means they stay with the original call.

I thought it was pretty clearly off the kids left leg but it was hard to find an angle that would 100% show it. Lucky break for them.

It was driving me absolutely nuts that the commentators spent the first two minutes only paying attention to the right leg. How clueless can you be? It was clearly the left leg that was in question.

And I swear when the commentators where talking about how the refs came over to look at their monitor I was losing it because their comments about it being MSU ball could influence the refs.

Last edited:

Was that the kick? I thought it pretty clearly hit his leg - the ball even changes direction. I'm not sure why they were so emotional about the spin of the ball...how about the fact it took a hard left?

Eagle was obsessed about going off hands - as if that's all that matters. The other was obsessed with spin. I still think just looking at it HIT HIS LEG was probably the easiest way to make a determination.

Refs called it tight the whole game. From one standpoint, that favors the team with more depth. From the other standpoint, that favors the team that attacks the basket more. Call it even there?

But Michigan State got ALL the breaks down the stretch. Thankfully they couldn’t buy a basket or we would all be absolutely livid at all the chances the refs handed them at the end. Battle got fouled twice and those two jump ball calls - one of which kept the ball with MSU and the other of which gave them the arrow instead of putting us on the line...and sure enough a legit jump ball happened shortly after, which gave them the ball.

The officiating has been terrible this entire tournament. Some of these games have been borderline unwatchable. They need to shove the whistles up their ***** and let them play unless it is a blatant foul. If an offensive player gets into the lane, they have taken away nearly EVERY possible way to defend them with their hyper-reactive whistles.

Not a lot of complaining because we won. But the refs let MSU push and shove our guys in the paint the entire game with no whistles which is why the rebounding was so lopsided. It was comical. Surprised so little complaining here.

While I agree that there were some questionable calls, in the aggregate I don't think we got the worst of it. I thought they called it too tight in the 1H and then let them play a little more in the 2H. Being in Detroit I thought we'd get hosed - I don't think anybody could say that.

The officiating has been terrible this entire tournament. Some of these games have been borderline unwatchable. They need to shove the whistles up their ***** and let them play unless it is a blatant foul. If an offensive player gets into the lane, they have taken away nearly EVERY possible way to defend them with their hyper-reactive whistles.
The refs against duke will leave us wanting the officiating today

Not a lot of complaining because we won. But the refs let MSU push and shove our guys in the paint the entire game with no whistles which is why the rebounding was so lopsided. It was comical. Surprised so little complaining here.

That happens in every collegiate basketball game. Even 30 years ago. Chukwu/Marek/Sidibe are SO light especially lower body that it gets magnified. Normally that is just simple jostling for position. Our guys get pinballed around with slight contact. Those are no calls. Duke and UNC did the same and bullied us. Same with those bigger/wider ND guys in that loss. Just beat us up under the basket. Just how it is. Rak/Arinze don’t get punked like that.

Last edited:
On the play when Battle got the board late and stood still and then dribbled toward the near sideline and lost it out of bounds, the Mich St player had a foot out of bounds and never re-established inbounds before touching the ball. They should have seen that on review

And I thought it changed direction off his left hand as well.

I saw it that way too - got deflected DOWN off the L hand, then grazed the L calf.

Oh well, at least it didn't come back to haunt us.

It was bizarre. They’d get whistle happy, then they’d let a hockey game go on inside.

Moyer literally body checked a guy to the ground, no call. Chukwu used whatever strength he has to throw a guy to the ground, no call. Michigan State has about 5 over the backs (at least), no call. Frank, a point guard mind you, reaches up and tips out a rebound. FOUL!

lots of hard contact, no calls. both ways.

that said, the refs suck and the ball was off MSU and who cares? 16!

i mean, im not even talking anti-SU per se. The refs have been determined to drive outcomes in ALL of these games
Yeah I'm sure the NCAA would prefer this outcome as opposed to Duke vs. MSU on a Friday night...

NCAA will be cowering if it ends up Syracuse vs. Clemson for a spot in the Final 4.

We shot 31 FT's compared to 16 for them. I thought for the most part the officials did a decent job.

^Somebody gets it. The officials were among the least of our problems today. Most defense-heavy games are foul fests. On replays, I saw a lot of things they let go that helped keep us in the game.