Class of 2018 - OG Carlos Vettorello (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OG Carlos Vettorello (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

He has a word limit, and it's bad copy to list 9 schools. Besides, what kind of agenda is he exhibiting by excluding Indiana and Vanderbilt from the list? Who cares?

and like clockwork you show up to defend them. I don't know if he has an agenda or not, you brought that up. I think it's poor writing.

I'm skeptical there's a word limit for a dot com blurb that isn't going to print. But 10 Power-5 offers is a lot more than 'several'. Doing a better job conveying that would be better writing.

How's this sound meeting the word limit:

before:
Vettorello, a 6-foot-4, 277-pound guard, is rated as a three-star prospect with offers from several Power Five schools, including Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Pittsburgh, among others.

AFTER
Vettorello, a 6-foot-4, 277-pound guard, is rated as a three-star prospect with offers from more than a dozen schools, including the ACC, Big10, Big12 and SEC.

and like clockwork you show up to defend them. I don't know if he has an agenda or not, you brought that up. I think it's poor writing.

I'm skeptical there's a word limit for a dot com blurb that isn't going to print. But 10 Power-5 offers is a lot more than 'several'. Doing a better job conveying that would be better writing.
The "agenda" thing wasn't a response to you. And I have no idea why he wrote the article the way he did. All I have to offer in this situation are my limited journalistic experiences and general industry knowledge. Call me Quixote-esque for thinking local beat writers deserve the benefit of the doubt. If that's somehow a problem for you, I suggest you ignore me.

How's this sound meeting the word limit:

before:
Vettorello, a 6-foot-4, 277-pound guard, is rated as a three-star prospect with offers from several Power Five schools, including Boston College, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Pittsburgh, among others.

AFTER
Vettorello, a 6-foot-4, 277-pound guard, is rated as a three-star prospect with offers from more than a dozen schools, including the ACC, Big10, Big12 and SEC.

Isn't your "after" phrasing writing to a certain agenda as well? Personally I think the before is more accurate. The kid had several offers and Mink listed a few of them. The after makes it seem like you'd want to deceive the reader to thinking the offers were better than they were. The way you wrote it is NOT inaccurate but you could also say there's an agenda to make it sound better than it is.

When you look at a site like 2foursev this commit is number 17 out of 18 for us. Says a lot about how far we've come because I think he's a good get, but I think Mink's writing was fine.

Froumy will end in the NFL. He has the frame to support 300+ is strong as a mule great feet and has a nasty streak. He might end being our best oline recruit.

Really don't know where you come up with this stuff but it's always interesting banter. I will take my chances with White winding up in the NFL.

Isn't your "after" phrasing writing to a certain agenda as well? Personally I think the before is more accurate. The kid had several offers and Mink listed a few of them. The after makes it seem like you'd want to deceive the reader to thinking the offers were better than they were. The way you wrote it is NOT inaccurate but you could also say there's an agenda to make it sound better than it is.

When you look at a site like 2foursev this commit is number 17 out of 18 for us. Says a lot about how far we've come because I think he's a good get, but I think Mink's writing was fine.

The way Mink wrote it is the same way he or the other PS writers would have wrote it had Vetorello had 5 P5 offers and then offers from a bunch of FCS schools, like the PS staff has done correctly for recruits that we have had with that profile.

At best it’s lazy, and it doesn’t paint the picture properly for a casual fan who doesn’t know much about this recruit. It’s important for people to be able to see the progression in recruiting. Things are definitely better than they have been in recent memory. I’m sorry but just because he’s a local beat writer, he’s not above reproach.

The way Mink wrote it is the same way he or the other PS writers would have wrote it had Vetorello had 5 P5 offers and then offers from a bunch of FCS schools, like the PS staff has done correctly for recruits that we have had with that profile.

At best it’s lazy, and it doesn’t paint the picture properly for a casual fan who doesn’t know much about this recruit. It’s important for people to be able to see the progression in recruiting. Things are definitely better than they have been in recent memory. I’m sorry but just because he’s a local beat writer, he’s not above reproach.

But you make it seem like he should somehow spin it to make it sound as good as possible - that's not his job.
He's supposed to report the salient facts, and he did.

I'm just glad we're no longer battling Akron for our "best" recruits. :p

But you make it seem like he should somehow spin it to make it sound as good as possible - that's not his job.
He's supposed to report the salient facts, and he did.

I'm just glad we're no longer battling Akron for our "best" recruits. :p

Not reporting the whole truth is much more apt to be spin imo than reporting the whole truth. But I’m not a journo so what do I know :)

Of course what I wrote is accurate, where did I lie?

Mink could be seen as deceiving the reader that the prospect isn't that good. Frankly I took a piece of mine from the Detroit Free Press who wrote the following: "The 6-foot-4, 275-pounder already has a dozen scholarship offers on the table, including several from Big Ten schools."

Recruiting: Detroit OL Carlos Vettorello may interest Michigan State

Is the Detroit Free Press lying and deceiving their readers?

Not reporting the whole truth is much more apt to be spin imo than reporting the whole truth. But I’m not a journo so what do I know :)

Which part of the following is not the whole truth? :rolleyes:

Ranked among the top 60 guards in the country, per 247Sports.com, he can sign a binding financial aid agreement with Syracuse on Dec. 20.

Vettorello is the fourth offensive lineman to commit to Syracuse's 2018 class, joining fellow Michigan native Tyrone Sampson, Qadir White and Willem Froumy.

The addition of Vettorello brings the class total up to 18 prospects.

What's this thread about again?

Yeah agree, bottom line had other P5 offers, has great measurable and solid tape, solid solid prospect. Bring him in, kid could be a 3 year starter, maybe more maybe less who knows but really happy with the possibilities. Type of prospect we need to be bringing in for sure, he fits the profile in every way, what more can you ask for?

I don't know how we can't be thrilled with our OL recruits. Two top national level recruits (Sampson and White), two big upside plays (Horan and Froumy), and Vettorello, who could be a solid multi-year starter at OG.

If we could only get a big ugly DL, I'd be satisfied. Even if he was a JUCO.

This might be as close as we’ve ever been to checking off all needs for a single recruiting cycle.

Still need a QB and 1-2 DL, but with time to spare and a few irons still in the fire, pretty impressive for a 4-8 team.

This might be as close as we’ve ever been to checking off all needs for a single recruiting cycle.

Still need a QB and 1-2 DL, but with time to spare and a few irons still in the fire, pretty impressive for a 4-8 team.

It's unlikely we get a QB who's more than a placeholder (or a holder for the kicking teams) at this point in the cycle, so better to focus on the DL and any other areas of need now.

It's unlikely we get a QB who's more than a placeholder (or a holder for the kicking teams) at this point in the cycle, so better to focus on the DL and any other areas of need now.
I have a feeling we might skip a QB this year if Coach Babers is comfortable with Culpepper and/or Welch playing the 3rd String.

Then again if we can find a 2nd String Canadian HS QB with height...we'll you can't pass that up.

I have a feeling we might skip a QB this year if Coach Babers is comfortable with Culpepper and/or Welch playing the 3rd String.
I suspect it has less to do about comfort and more to do with only taking a commitment from a QB that meets his standard.

Then again if we can find a 2nd String Canadian HS QB with height...we'll you can't pass that up.

I don't think the staff is comfortable with the depth chart but I also don't think the staff is going to bring in someone who barely has a pulse either.

Which part of the following is not the whole truth? :rolleyes:

The use of the word several and then among others. Several is defined as more than two, but not many. So one can read that as meaning the several are the schools he specifically mentioned and the among others are schools that are not P5 level. The PS typically uses "among others" to define lesser offers. You see that when a kid has a couple of P5 offers and then a number of non-P5 BCS or even FCS offers.

And yeah it may seem like I'm cutting hairs here but I've read enough of their commitment blurbs to know their standard m.o. Kid had 12 P5 offers. That's worthy of mention.

Last edited:
I don't think the staff is comfortable with the depth chart but I also don't think the staff is going to bring in someone who barely has a pulse either.

Correct. I think we'll see plenty of interest for the 2019 class as our depth chart should suit everyone that is interested quite well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom