Class of 2018 - OG Carlos Vettorello (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 OG Carlos Vettorello (MI) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE

I don't know how we can't be thrilled with our OL recruits. Two top national level recruits (Sampson and White), two big upside plays (Horan and Froumy), and Vettorello, who could be a solid multi-year starter at OG.

If we could only get a big ugly DL, I'd be satisfied. Even if he was a JUCO.
Honestly, and I'll cop to perhaps being a bit dramatic with this, but these five recruits -- as a group -- are the single most important recruiting development for Syracuse football in the last 25 years. When Coach Mac had things really clicking in the Dome in the late 80s, we had well above grade offensive line units. And we had a top 20 program. One beget the other.

I'd argue that only once in the interceding 25 years (give or take), have we had the luxury of a top-flight OLine (let's define top flight as top 20 in the nation). And that came in 2012 with the Pugh-Chibane-MacPherson-Trudo-Hickey grouping. We won 8 games and routed the Mountaineers in the Pinstripe Bowl. Won at Mizzou, at USF, vs. Louisville (by 19). We've had some solid run blocking OLines in that span (think 1997-98 and 2001-02), but simultaneously they always struggled with pass protection.That year, we had both covered.

People on this board scoff at BC sometimes. At times it is justified, but they have consistently kicked our a-s-s on the OLine the last quarter century. It became their calling card, their brand. If we can best them in this regard, on the OLine, it will catipult SU a LONG LONG way toward becoming the top P5 program in the northeast, which should be our first goal every year.

I am excluding Ped State in that equation for now, but including Pitt, BC, Rutgers, and Maryland (UConn lost their seat at the table). If we are the best of that lot, we'll be winning 8-9 games consistently, and enjoying an occasional double-digit win campaign.

It can be done, ... and Sampson-White-Vottorello-Horan-Froumy are the golden ticket (along with last year's OLine haul being rock solid in it's own regard). Cannot wait.

Honestly, and I'll cop to perhaps being a bit dramatic with this, but these five recruits -- as a group -- are the single most important recruiting development for Syracuse football in the last 25 years. When Coach Mac had things really clicking in the Dome in the late 80s, we had well above grade offensive line units. And we had a top 20 program. One beget the other.

I'd argue that only once in the interceding 25 years (give or take), have we had the luxury of a top-flight OLine (let's define top flight as top 20 in the nation). And that came in 2012 with Pugh-Chibane-MacPherson-Trudo-Hickey. We won 8 games and topped KSU in the Pinstripe Bowl. We've had some solid run blocking OLines in that span (think 1997-98 and 2001-02), but simultaneously they always struggled with pass protection.

People on this board scoff at BC sometimes. At times it is justified, but they have consistently kicked our a-s-s on the OLine the last quarter century. It became their calling card, their brand. If we can best them in this regard, on the OLine, it will take SU a LONG LONG way toward becoming the top P5 program in the northeast, which should be our first goal every year.

I am excluding Ped State in that equation, but including Pitt, BC, Rutgers, and Maryland (UConn lost their seat at the table). If we are the best of that lot, we'll be winning 8-9 games consistently, and enjoying an occasional double-digit win campaign.

It can be done, ... and Sampson-White-Vottorello-Horan-Froumy are the golden ticket (along with last year's OLine haul being rock solid in it's own regard). Cannot wait.

The 2012 O Line was legit. Pugh was a 1st rounder, and I believe had Hickey stayed healthy he would have been drafted. That line was one of the highlights of Marrone's tenure, along with Nassib's development as a QB and Lemon as a WR.

Last edited:

I'd argue that only once in the interceding 25 years (give or take), have we had the luxury of a top-flight OLine (let's define top flight as top 20 in the nation). And that came in 2012 with the Pugh-Chibane-MacPherson-Trudo-Hickey grouping. We won 8 games and routed the Mountaineers in the Pinstripe Bowl. Won at Mizzou, at USF, vs. Louisville (by 19). We've had some solid run blocking OLines in that span (think 1997-98 and 2001-02), but simultaneously they always struggled with pass protection.That year, we had both covered.

People on this board scoff at BC sometimes. At times it is justified, but they have consistently kicked our a-s-s on the OLine the last quarter century. It became their calling card, their brand. If we can best them in this regard, on the OLine, it will catipult SU a LONG LONG way toward becoming the top P5 program in the northeast, which should be our first goal every year.

I am excluding Ped State in that equation for now, but including Pitt, BC, Rutgers, and Maryland (UConn lost their seat at the table). If we are the best of that lot, we'll be winning 8-9 games consistently, and enjoying an occasional double-digit win campaign.

Love it. My understanding is that Horan is getting a shot at TE. Even if he's more of a run block TE, that size there will be awesome. Paired with last year's size, that wall will extend from TE to Tackle. Elmore, although listed at TE, I would expect to continue to play more of a FB role. All just best guesses, but it's great to have some parts.

I agree -- but I also think this can happen sooner rather than later, given the kids we have in the program now.

Our offensive line, while not outstanding, held up pretty decently against some of the best DL's in the country and given its youth could and should continue to improve. We lose one starter from last year (McGloster) and have three guys who are either freshmen or sophomores who played the majority of the time back. Plus Roberts, arguably our best OL from 2016, should be fully recovered and back as well.

Future is bright at this position, as well as many others in my view.

Reactions: CIL
I agree -- but I also think this can happen sooner rather than later, given the kids we have in the program now.

Our offensive line, while not outstanding, held up pretty decently against some of the best DL's in the country and given its youth could and should continue to improve. We lose one starter from last year (McGloster) and have three guys who are either freshmen or sophomores who played the majority of the time back. Plus Roberts, arguably our best OL from 2016, should be fully recovered and back as well.

Future is bright at this position, as well as many others in my view.

I think one thing that hides among Dino's staff and their improvement in our recruiting was the O Line work they did in the abbreviated 2016 recruiting class cycle. They brought in some quality guys late in that cycle including Servais and that really set the plate nicely as things moved forward. One of the biggest differences between Dino coming on late after a coaching change vs Shafer was the difference in quality of recruits they were able to bring in late in that cycle that ultimately are an important part of the 2 deep now.

And I can't emphasize enough how much I like Froumy as a developmental prospect. He is the kind of kid you want in that spot. Experience playing against large schools for a number of years at the position and great measurables.

And yeah it may seem like I'm cutting hairs here.

139735-140265.jpg

IIRC 37 is the average among 24-7, Rovils and maybe? ESPN. The smaller number below is just 24-7's rating.
Yeah...I go by what 2 4 7 says...29th so far baby. Will be interesting to see where we land when it all shakes out. A lot of teams will be signing 4 and 5 star kids soon, and plenty of 3 star kids too. I'd be pleased with a top 40 class.

OK, I gotta ask, who is writing the coaches' material on these commits? Either they're the cleverest wordsmithing coaches ever, or we're taking advantage of perhaps some primo Newhouse talent...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom