Class of 2014 - OG Kadeem Smith (FL) Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 OG Kadeem Smith (FL) Offered

CuseLegacy

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/669551/highlights/33663411

Cardinal Gibbons, 6' 4" 290 lbs

i

I love that the video starts with a tackle.

No major offers. Must be getting desperate for beef.

Having said that, first team all-county for sun-sentinel, first team all-broward for miami herald isn't bad.

not sure where the offer stands now he was offered in the Spring. Could be plan B if we don't get Roberts,

Are we really to the point that a kid offered in July is now considered B-lister? Wow

Are we really to the point that a kid offered in July is now considered B-lister? Wow
I'm basing my comments on offers. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? I can't keep up!

Offers don't mean much either. Because a kid has a lot of offers doesn't mean he will be a good player. All you can go on is the film.

Offers don't mean much either. Because a kid has a lot of offers doesn't mean he will be a good player. All you can go on is the film.
Well I'm not a scout so I will wait this one out.

I'm basing my comments on offers. Isn't that what we're supposed to do? I can't keep up!

I agree but it's July. Tennessee didn't offer Malik Brown until Dec/Jan. Or Julian Whigham and Miami was Dec/Jan. We'll see where it goes.

Yeah, that's not an altogether unfair assessment given the number of commitments that the P5 schools have collected so far and with most of the spring offers on the O and D line now gone. Heck, a number of schools will be spending most of their time working the 2015 class in the fall. Texas started this trend about 15 years ago and lots of other schools seem to have caught on, for good and bad.

Yeah, that's not an altogether unfair assessment given the number of commitments that the P5 schools have collected so far and with most of the spring offers on the O and D line now gone. Heck, a number of schools will be spending most of their time working the 2015 class in the fall. Texas started this trend about 15 years ago and lots of other schools seem to have caught on, for good and bad.

I get your point. On the other hand, Longhorn football is found in the dictionary under underachieving.

I get your point. On the other hand, Longhorn football is found in the dictionary under underachieving.

That may be true but it doesn't change the fact that the recruiting calendar has moved up for pretty much everyone now.

The calendar has moved up for sure but imho implying that a july offer makes a kid a B-lister is a bit ridiculous. As far as I know there are still evaluations from camps and 7/7s happening now.

Maybe our top line prospects have moved on – or maybe we’ve found some other kid that we like.

I find it interesting that Bobby Petrino has offered him.

Smith was a 5A 1st Team All Broward last year as a junior. The Miami Herald notes he’s been a starter since he was a freshman, had 23 pancakes and didn’t allow a sack last season.

The Sun Sentinel puts him #24 in Broward County – all class sizes.

Florida HS Football named him to the Florida 5A 2nd Team All State last year.

He looks pretty good. Not a fat blob

http://media. /media/image/85/850351.jpg

Smith was a 5A 1st Team All Broward last year as a junior. The Miami Herald notes he’s been a starter since he was a freshman, had 23 pancakes and didn’t allow a sack last season.

Florida HS Football named him to the Florida 5A All State team last year.

Makes me wonder if grades are an issue.

Florida HS Football named him to the Florida 5A All State team last year.

Screams B Lister to me...:bat:

Makes me wonder if grades are an issue.

Grades could be a problem but that's also part of what differentiates an A-lister from a B-lister. It's usually not just a matter of determining one player to have more talent than another that fixes their place on a recruiting chart. You want to get the best players who are ready to play, who'll do the work, who won't cause problems, etc. The players lower down might have a variety of problems, from talent shortages, to lack of experience, to learning disabilities and grade/test score shortages, to disciplinary issues, etc. that make them less desirable than those above. Now some B-listers may overcome whatever issues they have and even outperform A-listers in college. Some A-listers may have managed to hide their shortcomings only for them to be revealed in college. Some A-listers may also just be transcendent talents which make their pursuit a no-brainer regardless of their other shortcomings. Whatever the individual stories, there is more often than not a solid reason why someone gets offered earlier and another later. Given that this kid is from S. Florida, it's not simply a matter of oversight. He is likely viewed to be a bigger gamble than kids at his position that were offered earlier in the year and have now gone elsewhere. That's what makes him a B-lister.

if this was January then maybe grades might be the issue, but he has some time here

Grades could be a problem but that's also part of what differentiates an A-lister from a B-lister. It's usually not just a matter of determining one player to have more talent than another that fixes their place on a recruiting chart. You want to get the best players who are ready to play, who'll do the work, who won't cause problems, etc. The players lower down might have a variety of problems, from talent shortages, to lack of experience, to learning disabilities and grade/test score shortages, to disciplinary issues, etc. that make them less desirable than those above. Now some B-listers may overcome whatever issues they have and even outperform A-listers in college. Some A-listers may have managed to hide their shortcomings only for them to be revealed in college. Some A-listers may also just be transcendent talents which make their pursuit a no-brainer regardless of their other shortcomings. Whatever the individual stories, there is more often than not a solid reason why someone gets offered earlier and another later. Given that this kid is from S. Florida, it's not simply a matter of oversight. He is likely viewed to be a bigger gamble than kids at his position that were offered earlier in the year and have now gone elsewhere. That's what makes him a B-lister.

you seem to be forgetting about the SEC and any team coached by Urban

you seem to be forgetting about the SEC and any team coached by Urban

No I'm not. Obviously for Urban and most SEC coaches, they're going first after the transcendent talents without regard for any other criteria. There's no such thing as a gamble as far they're concerned.

Since it hasn't been mentioned he also attends school with two primary recruiting targets right now so the staff is likely very knowledgable about this program and its players and and it also can't hurt with the WR targets and future recruiting in the area. Obviously, this HS produces some prime D-1 talent.

Looking at that picture in the OP, am I the only one who thinks he looks like he can step right in and start today? For the New York Giants?

per Fox - "Syracuse needs help along the offensive line in the 2014 class. They haven't landed a prospect there yet, and a new target has emerged. Kadeem Smith picked up an Orange offer during the evaluation period. He discusses his interest in Syracuse, a potential official visit, and more inside."