Ohio Attendance | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ohio Attendance

The state fair excuse again? Doesn’t that go on for a bit? Can’t people do both if we’re talking about 15 dollar tix to the game?

Starting to not care about people picking a fair over the season opener.

The state fair at this point is affecting maybe a few hundred people at best. The days of the Fair impacting thousands attending is long over. If the weather is crap it may actually push the few who might conflicted/impacted to the Dome.

Doug Marrone's first game against Minnesota in 2009 had 48,617 for an announced attendance. Doesn't sound like the state fair impacted that. This town likes a challenge. We need Fran Brown to come out and publicly challenge people to sell out this game. Play a video of Fran Brown before every concert appealing to the people to buy tickets to sell out the opener.
Minnesota, while not a total powerhouse, is an established team in an established conference. Ohio is in the MAC. More people would show up in droves if we played a Minnesota type team in the season opener. We are a show me city. Playing and beating Ohio does not show much. If we win easily there will be a big increase in the crowd for Georgia Tech. Win that one and the Stanford game will most likely be packed. Even though it's Stanford, the hype train will be really rolling at that point.

Minnesota, while not a total powerhouse, is an established team in an established conference. Ohio is in the MAC. More people would show up in droves if we played a Minnesota type team in the season opener. We are a show me city. Playing and beating Ohio does not show much. If we win easily there will be a big increase in the crowd for Georgia Tech. Win that one and the Stanford game will most likely be packed. Even though it's Stanford, the hype train will be really rolling at that point.
The fair isn't an excuse, the product on the field the last few years was. The paranoia of Dino turned a lot of would be fans off. His terrible game management, and all the false starts turned people off.
Fran is a breath of fresh air, but it's going to take a few good games for people to get excited again.
Just get through the first 6 games at 5-1 with a close loss or 6-0, and the fans will come.

So the best recruiting class ever and best transfers of all time isn’t enough for you to support ?
for me to support? I have had season tickets since I went to school at Syracuse/ ESF and I am 50 years old, and for 5-6 years I lived on the west coast. I will be there and always have been. It ain't me man but I certainly understand casuals not being interested at this point. The product has STUNK. I always have a good time regardless, but many people don't look at it that way.

Casuals don't follow recruiting or portal stuff they follow wins. two good seasons in 23 years isn't going to bring the fans back or create new ones

We have a pathetic base. No sugar coating it.

We have the 15k die hards.

Then another 15k who are football fans and willing to go watch a game.

Then there is a 10k to 20k range of band wagon fans

And that's pathetic for a D1 program.

Maybe we should hire a country singer to do a post game show and that will draw bigger crowds?

People in the area are lazy. They don't want to walk up the hill to the dome. They don't want to pay $50 for parking and $100 for tickets and another $50 for food and drinks for Cuse games but have no problem doing so at the Amp.

Why. Because that's an "easier" Park and walk.

Lazy. Period.

agreed, this is the path for sure

The map will also fill in a good deal more in 11 days. I am 100% going but have made zero attempt to nail down tickets yet. I am sure there are several fans in the same boat.

3 chips? Come on. We have largely sucked. I want the dome full too, but casuals are called that for a reason.
I was being facetious but my point largely was to leave them be. They will either come or not at the end of the day.

I was being facetious but my point largely was to leave them be. They will either come or not at the end of the day.
Gotcha. Now that idea, I can get behind; sorry about misunderstanding your point. I thought you were attacking the casuals. I think most people defending them are saying the same thing, just don't worry about them they will do what they do.

Maybe we should hire a country singer to do a post game show and that will draw bigger crowds?

People in the area are lazy. They don't want to walk up the hill to the dome. They don't want to pay $50 for parking and $100 for tickets and another $50 for food and drinks for Cuse games but have no problem doing so at the Amp.

Lazy. Period.

There’s no denying it’s a PITA . It is a real barrier for people when choosing to go or watch on TV.

What business is it of yours or anyone else how others spend their leisure time or money.
My point is if you are a SU fan and you choose the fair over going to one of 6 or seven games all year and when there are other days to go to the fair you are not a SU football fan. And i don't care how people spend their time and money including yours.. Su is a big game city. Poor fans.

My point is if you are a SU fan and you choose the fair over going to one of 6 or seven games all year and when there are other days to go to the fair you are not a SU football fan. And i don't care how people spend their time and money including yours.. Su is a big game city. Poor fans.
Obviously you do care

There’s no denying it’s a PITA . It is a real barrier for people when choosing to go or watch on TV.

When a team is really good ( see SU Bball for most of JB's era or Bama/OSU) people don't care about cost and parking. When the programs been a trainwreck or dumpster fire the better part of 20+ years (with a few bright spots sprinkled in) the casual fan or general person in the area isn't going to go out of their away to attend games especially when the parking situation for those who don't know what they're doing or have a pass can be a complete nightmare and they can just watch it from their couch/local bar or in today's day and age on their phone from anywhere.

Lazy. Period.

We go through this every year, the issue isn't that we have a pathetic fanbase it's that people overestimate what the actual local fanbase is. There's a large portion people in the local and surrounding area who are casual at best fans. When SU is good they will discuss it and watch the game but they aren't attending a game in person really no matter what. There are tens of thousands of these people locally and the surrounding communities. It's not an issue of parking or cost or even the walk up the hill or being lazy, they just don't have any inclination to attend period. It's just not something that occurs to them as even an option. Sounds bizarre but trust me its 100% accurate.

Your point about the AMP is not apples to oranges and the main complaint I hear about the AMP is parking. SU attendance for a fball game dwarfs what the AMP gets that and they rarely sell out a 17K facility.

To get those true bandwagon fans who may attend SU has to win, it's always been that way. It's no coincidence the year after SU won 10 games season tickets exploded and when SU was undefeated after like 5/6 games a few years ago they had two near sellouts later on in the year.

It's 13 days. I see you threw an extra week in there.

Lots of people work M-F, so in reality there's only 5 days to hit the fair and that's if you have no other family obligations.
The fair blows. Save your money or go when there is absolutely nothing else going on.

yeah and shocked that many are surprised that the attendance won't be all the great.. yet again. How about winning some games and putting a quality product out there first
I really thought FOMO would kick in.

Anecdotal evidence that SU lost some long time STHers...which hurt. Folks losing great seats, breaking up groups and not able to get paper tix easily all have siphoned off some fans.

Hopefully we go 2-0...Stanford should be a sell out

Last edited:
We go through this every year, the issue isn't that we have a pathetic fanbase it's that people overestimate what the actual local fanbase is. There's a large portion people in the local and surrounding area who are casual at best fans. When SU is good they will discuss it and watch the game but they aren't attending a game in person really no matter what. There are tens of thousands of these people locally and the surrounding communities. It's not an issue of parking or cost or even the walk up the hill or being lazy, they just don't have any inclination to attend period. It's just not something that occurs to them as even an option. Sounds bizarre but trust me its 100% accurate.

Your point about the AMP is not apples to oranges and the main complaint I hear about the AMP is parking. SU attendance for a fball game dwarfs what the AMP gets that and they rarely sell out a 17K facility.

To get those true bandwagon fans who may attend SU has to win, it's always been that way. It's no coincidence the year after SU won 10 games season tickets exploded and when SU was undefeated after like 5/6 games a few years ago they had two near sellouts later on in the year.
It's pathetic for a D1 program, whatever the litany of reasons

Then the casual wonders why recruits don't want to come, and good coaches don't want to come or stay.

Gameday atmosphere is just as much a responsibility of the fan as it is the school

Our fans outside the main core base, don't understand that and don't care to

When a team is really good ( see SU Bball for most of JB's era or Bama/OSU) people don't care about cost and parking. When the programs been a trainwreck or dumpster fire the better part of 20+ years (with a few bright spots sprinkled in) the casual fan or general person in the area isn't going to go out of their away to attend games especially when the parking situation for those who don't know what they're doing or have a pass can be a complete nightmare and they can just watch it from their couch/local bar or in today's day and age on their phone from anywhere.
Putting aside the Covid year the team overall hasn’t been a train wreck or dumpster fire 2018 on. 21-11 at home those five years, 33-30 overall.

BC last year, FSU the year before, and Rutgers the year before that are the only real bad home games the last three years.

It hasn’t been great, but I reserve dumpster fire for Grobian levels of performance.

The school has done a good job with the update to the dome, but they are making it progressively harder to get there. Removing 81 isn’t going to help.

Last edited: